The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with X1D

pflower

Joe:

1. I use the same cards and have had no issues at all.
2. I have not had that issue.
3. I agree. You should be able to use both. I have never been a fan of focus peaking to set focus, but I sure would like some way to press a button to have the camera automatically set the hyperfocal setting for the specific lens and aperture, with the EVF showing the hyperfocal range that was set.
I have been getting the card issue from time to time. Sometimes upon start up it cycles between FULL, NO CARD and then shows the correct number of exposures left. Once it went to NO CARD when I was shooting - but I have only been using this for one day. I am using the 16gb Sandisk that was supplied with the camera but might experiment tomorrow.

One thing that confuses me is Lightroom Support. It is said that CC 2015.8 supports the X1D. I have just updated to that version and to Camera Raw 9.8 but when I click on Enable Profile Corrections there is nothing there. Under Camera Calibration there is the choice of Embedded or Hasselblad X1D but the latter, I am pretty sure, is a profile that I created with the Adobe DNG Profiler since I got it wrong and it is hugely too yellow - I intend to redo tomorrow. Am I missing something?

tashley

Subscriber Member
I have been getting the card issue from time to time. Sometimes upon start up it cycles between FULL, NO CARD and then shows the correct number of exposures left. Once it went to NO CARD when I was shooting - but I have only been using this for one day. I am using the 16gb Sandisk that was supplied with the camera but might experiment tomorrow.

One thing that confuses me is Lightroom Support. It is said that CC 2015.8 supports the X1D. I have just updated to that version and to Camera Raw 9.8 but when I click on Enable Profile Corrections there is nothing there. Under Camera Calibration there is the choice of Embedded or Hasselblad X1D but the latter, I am pretty sure, is a profile that I created with the Adobe DNG Profiler since I got it wrong and it is hugely too yellow - I intend to redo tomorrow. Am I missing something?
In the current version of LR CC you should get the option of Embedded and Camera Standard but there are no lens profiles yet. For that, you need to delve into Phocus.

I hava slo have the No Card issue once, even though I was in my first ten frames of shooting and with the card that shipped installed. Must be a bug.

hcubell

In the current version of LR CC you should get the option of Embedded and Camera Standard but there are no lens profiles yet. For that, you need to delve into Phocus.

I hava slo have the No Card issue once, even though I was in my first ten frames of shooting and with the card that shipped installed. Must be a bug.
Tim, did you format the card in the body first?

Chris1977

I have not had any issues with the supplied 16GB card, formatted it first thing. I have tested extensively with a SanDisk Extreme PRO 300MB/s 32GB card today and no issues there either. Also with this card, first thing I did was format it in camera.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim, did you format the card in the body first?

Hmmmm. No. I don't think I did, but I since then have so let's see.... good tip and one which if I was half as smart as I pretend to be I'd have regarded as obvious best practice...

hcubell

Hmmmm. No. I don't think I did, but I since then have so let's see.... good tip and one which if I was half as smart as I pretend to be I'd have regarded as obvious best practice...
Don't be hard on yourself! I think the only reason I did was because the first 5 shots I took were of my shoe as I was checking out the EVF blackout and I wanted to erase them, so I quickly formatted the card.

That's ok, I was actually worried I didn't get a brand new one, since it already had an SD card in it... But it looked new, so I wouldn't have been that upset since I had the camera finally, but I did some research and saw that it was supposed to come with one. Haha

awilliamsny

The author of this post is Andy Williams, one of the Founders of the Muench Workshops, along with Marc Muench. We can all look forward to Andy's photographs with the X1D in Antarctica and his thoughts about the system. He is a very talented and experienced photographer. I went on a camping trip to Cathedral Valley with Andy and Marc and David Muench a couple of years ago. Quite a magical experience.
Safe travels, Andy.
Well I had a fantastic time, and was very lucky to be able to shoot with the X1D system in Antarctica! We and Hasselblad are soon announcing some joint photography workshops that will be very exciting - participants will get to use their own X1D system and lenses. Stay tuned for that, more coming on March 7th :)

As to my experience with the X1D, I loved it. I found it incredibly easy to use (I actually love that there aren't a zillion buttons and menu choices, keep it simple). I shot for a lot of stitched panoramas with the 90mm lens. I shot wide angle landscapes with the 30. I didn't find myself picking up the 45 too much. I think the quality of the files (depth, color, tonality, dynamic range, noise) is amazing. I never fussed about what ISO I was using (I shot handheld a lot so I was keeping my shutter speed high, and ISO was often 800, 1600). The sharpness, color and contrast of the lenses blew me away.

I'm still processing images, and on Saturday am leaving for a workshop in the north of Iceland so I'm waaaay behind.

I will be shooting a lot more with the X1D this year and am so very much looking forward to using this system in my work.

pflower

This thread needs more images.

Finally a nice day so I went for a walk in the woods with the X1D. Still some glitches - I had 2 "No Card" Errors and once, on changing batteries, I got an error message saying that the lens was not properly attached. Given that the lens mount is very stiff and secure this was a bit disconcerting particularly since I only have one lens - the 45mm. However all in all the camera worked really well and was easy to work with. I am struggling a bit to understand how the centre weighted metering behaves. There was bright sun and a big range between the shadow areas and the highlights. I was aiming for "dark and moody" but couldn't really work out the exposure to get as close as possible to that in camera. However even with exposure compensation set at 0 none of the files showed any clipping at either end in Lightroom which surprised me (pleasantly). Until I get to grips with the exposure system I would like a histogram in live view or at least some zebras.

All of these processed in Lightroom - mostly just to reduce exposure, bring down the highlights a bit and increase contrast. The Auto White Balance was really good - some of the leaves on the ground were too magenta for my liking so a tint adjustment was necessary. I can't remember having to adjust the default colour temperature.

There are a few more uploaded in my gallery - click on my name and then "view uploads" if you are interested.

Chris1977

If anyone is looking for a small on camera flash, I'm happy to report that the new Metz M400 (Nikon version) works great also in TTL mode. I usually work with Profoto but sometimes it's nice to just have a small on camera flash for the days that you don't want to carry much gear.

pflower

A Couple More

The 90mm is not my style, but the 45mm is also really sharp.

2 of my new shed and one of an old yew tree.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Here's a post-athon from my morning walk at the coast. Whenever I get a new camera I shoot here for a couple hours because I've done it so many times before that I know what the files should/could look like on the same old same old subjects so: sorry if some of you have seem these shots before, taken with previous systems over the years...

D&A

Tim,

I'm sure their are many of us, such as myself, who are grateful to you for posting these images, especially with the 30mm. Some observations, comments & a request.

1. Is it possible to show a 100% crop from both the right and left side of images #1 and #11 (of the buildings in each) and the center for comparison? This is especially so since it's from the 30mm which holds a lot of interest. if possible, these crops are just as shot from the camera prior to sharpening? Were these particular images taken at f9-f11?

2. Image #2 and #3 say's "no climbing"...really? Are they kidding? That thing begs for kids to climb on it! :)

3. Image #5 is a stunner. Not sure if it would have more impact if just the parent and child walking without the other human elements, or just the way it is with the car and other individuals along the waters edge?

It's funny, I look at these images and say "Hmmm, where have I've seen these pictures before"...LOL!

Again thanks!

Dave (D&A)

P.S. I initially had some of my image request #'s above incorrectly identified, but have since corrected them.

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim,

I'm sure their are many of us, such as myself, who are grateful to you for posting these images, especially with the 30mm. Some observations, comments & a request.

1. Is it possible to show a 100% crop from both the right and left side of images #1 and #11 (of the buildings in each) and the center for comparison? This is especially so since it's from the 30mm which holds a lot of interest. if possible, these crops are just as shot from the camera prior to sharpening? Were these particular images taken at f9-f11?

2. Image #2 and #3 say's "no climbing"...really? Are they kidding? That thing begs for kids to climb on it! :)

3. Image #5 is a stunner. Not sure if it would have more impact if just the parent and child walking without the other human elements, or just the way it is with the car and other individuals along the waters edge?

It's funny, I look at these images and say "Hmmm, where have I've seen these pictures before"...LOL!

Again thanks!

Dave (D&A)

P.S. I initially had some of my image request #'s above incorrectly identified, but have since corrected them.
Hi Dave

Am uploading the RAW files for those two on a terrifyingly slow connection so will post a link later. I also tried hacking the contre jour file about to remove the vehicle and extraneous people. IMHO it doesn't add much (probably my poor cloning skills!) but will share later!

Last edited: