The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with X1D

D&A

wanted tp upload another shot of my friend and client outside her theater, who's in Phantom of the Opera. Shot at ISO 800 3.5 at 1/100.
What I particulary like about this image is not only her fun casual pose, infectious smile and location towards the edge of the frame, but her placement juxtaposed with the Majestic theater's neon sign and making a statement about your friend's personality (intentional or otherwise?). Nicely done!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
A day at the seaside with the X1D (and the IQ180 but that's another story and another thread)...

pflower

Just a snap. But I tried this in Phocus and in LR using both the embedded profile and Camera Standard and a dual illuminant profile I created with a color checker passport and Adobe DNG Profiler. On my iMac 5k the differences were de minimis. The 45mm is my sweet spot, an H adapter is promised next week and I will try out the HC 80mm and HCD 28mm with it - I envisage limited use for both focal lengths hence reluctance to buy the X lenses.

What I particulary like about this image is not only her fun casual pose, infectious smile and location towards the edge of the frame, but her placement juxtaposed with the Majestic theater's neon sign and making a statement about your friend's personality (intentional or otherwise?). Nicely done!

Dave (D&A)
Thanks! She's a lot of fun to shoot and has become a really close friend very quickly. Which makes it more fun to work with a client like that and easier to make better pictures. I can take credit for sign placement, and credit for getting her to laugh like that! Now I just need get Tim to clone out the cars at the bottom of the frame for me! :ROTFL:

Here are some from today, playing around with the snow outside. I'm trying to shoot in available light as much as possible for now to see how the camera reacts. I shot some video too, so I'll try to edit that this weekend. I just did a quick process in Phocus and saved as medium sized jpgs, didn't really make many adjustments on the raws. Usually I do that with all my shoots, then make selects and then go back and do a full process on just the selects. Saves me time that way. Played around a little bit in Photoshop on a couple of them. Still need to go back and bring the windows down so you get see the water on them. Although not sure what I like better, the bright white or the darker version.

Attachments

D&A

I hope its OK to give my personal thoughts.

My eye initially goes to the main subject "first" in a image, especially where an environmental portrait is concerned, so if I compare the first two posted images, I prefer the 2nd one. Not because the view through the windows has more detail of the buildings which sometimes can be a distraction, but you subject (your friend) on my monitor looks slightly better lit. I do wish though a small bit of "fill" or modeling lighting was added to her pose.

For the 3rd image, I would maybe apply a little post processing to the bridge of her nose and also just slightly to her cheek to smooth things out a bit (may be nitpicking), but really like this one.

The forth image is nice too but I personally think her eyes/gaze didn't work as well as it could and if her gaze was slightly altered/different, it would have made a big difference. Again these are simply my preferences and I can respect those who specialize in portraits and could certainly add more than I could.

Once again a lovely set of images in a very nice location!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

JohnBrew

Ario, nice images! Not only well photographed, they really play to the color strengths of the Hasselblad (Sony) sensor.

I hope its OK to give my personal thoughts.

My eye initially goes to the main subject "first" in a image, especially where an environmental portrait is concerned, so if I compare the first two posted images, I prefer the 2nd one. Not because the view through the windows has more detail of the buildings which sometimes can be a distraction, but you subject (your friend) on my monitor looks slightly better lit. I do wish though a small bit of "fill" or modeling lighting was added to her pose.

For the 3rd image, I would maybe apply a little post processing to the bridge of her nose and also just slightly to her cheek to smooth things out a bit (may be nitpicking), but really like this one.

The forth image is nice too but I personally think her eyes/gaze didn't work as well as it could and if her gaze was slightly altered/different, it would have made a big difference. Again these are simply my preferences and I can respect those who specialize in portraits and could certainly add more than I could.

Once again a lovely set of images in a very nice location!

Dave (D&A)
Thanks,
I was thinking the same thing with most of these comments. I can add some fill in processing as well. When i brought down the windows, I did lift her a little bit which is why she looked better lit in that one.

I'm really intrigued by that new Godox/Adorama 200w/s battery powered mini monolight thingy. Could be a perfect solution to pair with this camera in terms of mobility and enough power with the central shutter.

D&A

She most definitely is lit better in image #3 and 4 and if you can achieve something close to that, I think it would greatly benefit. Am curious about the mini moonlight you mentioned although any smaller flash used and positioned properly should work well.

Dave (D&A)

Here's the link: https://www.adorama.com/fplfev200.html
Godox makes it and adorama sells it under their flashpoint brand, although it's only preorder right now. I supposedly found a good one available on eBay, we'll see if it ships in the next couple days. I got send a tracking number but it's not active yet. This with a beauty dish soft box modifier like the Broncolor or chimera one would be great.

D&A

Wow is that small! It appears to have a lot of potential of it lives up to its published specs. I am very curious to hear your thoughts once it is up and running. Adding a beauty dish etc would definitly add to its versitilty.

Dave (D&A)

There is not a crop, other than making the frame 1920x1080. It uses the full sensor, I just checked it.

Last edited: