The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with X1D

tashley

Subscriber Member
Two old favourite scenes from an evening stroll. I like taking such familiar images with a new camera because it makes it much easier to assess its performance (and that of the lens) compared to other gear with which I've shot the same view. In processing, you really get a feel for the relative malleability of the files and I have to say that the X1D files feel like about the best yet, when you take into combination their extreme pushability and the performance of the lens.

pflower

Spring is finally coming. Also I note that there is an update to the user manual - now version 1.4 but not much added save for a mention of the GPS module and the H adapter.

eleanorbrown

Please everyone keep the X1D photos coming...love seeing what comes out of this camera and lenses. I'll post a couple here from today.....would much rather have been in the wilderness, mountains, etc but this was what I saw on my ride today with camera with my 90 lens. All handheld. Downtown Houston. Good micro detail (see stuff on tops of buildings) even with my handholding in the breeze with my 90 lens. eleanor

iiiNelson

Please everyone keep the X1D photos coming...love seeing what comes out of this camera and lenses. I'll post a couple here from today.....would much rather have been in the wilderness, mountains, etc but this was what I saw on my ride today with camera with my 90 lens. All handheld. Downtown Houston. Good micro detail (see stuff on tops of buildings) even with my handholding in the breeze with my 90 lens. eleanor

always love seeing Houston's Skyline. I'd guess this was a shot from around Allen Parkway.

stngoldberg

Sorry to intrude on this thread, but here is a Florida pigeon
It looks like a pigeon...may not be a pigeon
Stanley

Looks like a NYC pigeon that got sick of the cold and hitched a ride down to Florida!

On a side note. If you are processing in Phocus, which profile are y'all using? I was using Standard, but thinking I should try something else.

eleanorbrown

Josh, Interesting you should mention this....I just finished (again) reviewing all the offered profiles in Phocus to see if I should stay with Lightroom for my processing or go back to Phocus. I always import Standard into Phocus initially, and really think for Phocus, Standard is the best....has most accurate color in my opinion and in addition, the Phocus Standard is almost a direct match for Lightroom Camera Standard. I have tried to like Phocus, thinking surely it must offer some advantage over LR for X1D files but honestly I keep going back to Lightroom because I'm getting such really good results with RAW conversions and Lightroom has much better shadow and highlight adjustments (for me anyway). Eleanor

On a side note. If you are processing in Phocus, which profile are y'all using? I was using Standard, but thinking I should try something else.[/QUOTE]

tashley

Subscriber Member
Josh, Interesting you should mention this....I just finished (again) reviewing all the offered profiles in Phocus to see if I should stay with Lightroom for my processing or go back to Phocus. I always import Standard into Phocus initially, and really think for Phocus, Standard is the best....has most accurate color in my opinion and in addition, the Phocus Standard is almost a direct match for Lightroom Camera Standard. I have tried to like Phocus, thinking surely it must offer some advantage over LR for X1D files but honestly I keep going back to Lightroom because I'm getting such really good results with RAW conversions and Lightroom has much better shadow and highlight adjustments (for me anyway). Eleanor

On a side note. If you are processing in Phocus, which profile are y'all using? I was using Standard, but thinking I should try something else.
[/QUOTE]

Lloyd C has found roughly what I was slowly discovering which is that LR throws away buckets of headroom at the right hand side of the histogram especially at higher ISO but also at lower.

My new workflow, still evolving, is: import to LR for cataloging and making picks. Then for files that matter, Show In Finder and drop the file on Phocus. Process there with no sharpening or NR but with lens corrections if required. Export as 16 bit TIFF in Prophoto (you have to make your own export preset) and re-import that tiff to LR as your working file.