The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with X1D

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Much better. I can't afford the naked lady. :ROTFL:
Reminds me of a note from my brother ....

Time for a clear, serious grammar lesson...

No English dictionary has been able to adequately explain the difference between these two words. In a recent linguistic competition held in London and attended by, supposedly, the best in the world, Samdar Balgobin, a Guyanese man, was the clear winner with a standing ovation which lasted over 5 minutes.

The final question was: How do you explain the difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED in a way that is easy to understand? Some people say there is no difference between COMPLETE and FINISHED.

Here is his astute answer:

When you marry the right woman, you are COMPLETE. When you marry the wrong woman, you are FINISHED. And when the right one catches you with the wrong one, you are COMPLETELY FINISHED!!!

He won a trip around the world and a case of 25 year old Scotch.

So most of us would not want to PAY for the naked woman ...

Just saying'

Bob

eleanorbrown

Ok are furry things allowed here??? I can't get to all the wild and scenic places with my X1D right now so something different. I show these for a reason....especially the one of our sweetest ever English Lab Maggie because the color is so completely natural and rich and true and I was pleased at the way the X1D with my 90 lens handled the smoothness of the creamy colored fur with brown sugar highlights. The 90 did an outstanding job with razor sharp eyelashes at 100 percent magnification. Eleanor

D&A

Eleanor,

I was just reading an article about English Labs's and unlike their American counterparts, they are more rotund (not fat). The interesting aspect of the article was how these these two English labs (one tan and the other black in color) were raised as puppies with a group of Cheetah cubs and now that they're all grown up...they are one big happy family romping and playing together. A lovely amazing family.

The issue I have is your focus on the wonderful neutral test target of your lab as an accurate color test for your X1D as well as the ability to resolve the fine eyebrows of you lab. All well and good but what about your sweet cat thats wasn't mentioned and apparently out of the equation. What about his striking orange fur, did the X1D reproduce this accurately? Also what about the ability to resolve his long length whiskers? Did the X1D come through? No wonder after eons, cats remain independent. They don't get their just due when used as a important photographic test subject. My guess is thats why he looks forlorn on the chair. I would say he/she wants to be an equal, but as we all know, they expect to be "top dog"..LOL.

Other than that, I have been very impressed with the color output of the X1D, even in RAW files prior to post processing. As described, images appear very smooth with a sort of organic look to them.

Dave (D&A)...an avocate for equal treatment of all animals as photographic test targets and a lover of both cats and dogs. :).

Last edited:

Jan

I didn't use dehaze actually... the sky has a graduated layer with Contrast +27 and Highlights -100 then the foreground has a graduated layer with Contrast +54, Highlights +100 and Shadows +29. Then there's a brush adding highlights back in to the pitched tin front of the shed roof.

The file as a whole has +60 Contrast, +72 Shadows and +14 Blacks. Clarity is +12 and Vibrance +10.

Also there is +5 lens distortion and +30 vignetting correction, to match roughly what Phocus does.

So just 16 different tweaks.... :ROTFL:
I took the liberty to download the file, I prefer Photoshop for processing. I am an addict of Nik Color Efex which allows for a very consistent workflow and I must say the Hasselblad X1D files are great to work with. For lens correction +3 distortion and +15 vignetting seems enough. It goes to show the difference between Photoshop and Lightroom.

The file size after processing is huge though, 548 Mb.

tashley

Subscriber Member
https://photographylife.com/fuji-gfx-50s-vs-hasselblad-x1d-50c/

Has anybody here similar observations with regards to the X1D?
For an alternative view and one that matches my own take a look at Lloyd's overview here.

I haven't used the Fuji but at base it seems to compete more with a D810 in terms of feature set and size and price. The X1D is just a different camera aimed at different use-cases. But it is worth noting that it is 16 bit (or at least the container is) not 14 bit and that this according to Lloyd and his raw digger histograms makes a difference to how it performs relative to the GFX at higher ISO.

Lastly, something no one is mentioning: yes the X1D has fewer focus points and they are harder to select and yet for me it works really well because the lenses are very flat field and because I tend to shoot it at f8 thru f12 and to be using guesstimated hyper focal which involves focus and recompose. This gives me frames that are pretty much always as I expect and want, with very very few surprises. If they just made it with built in 5mm shift so as to capture less foreground I'd be even happier!

I've only used it once in the studio but I got more keepers (every frame was in focus, about 100 frames) than with a Phase/645df sesssion and I liked the files a lot.

The Mansurov piece is a quick and slight read. Lloyd might be subscription only but he's been into all this in a lot of depth and his findings match mine. So yes, there are some ergonomic irritations that make you want to shake the Hassy designers by the shoulders and shout 'what were you thinking?' but overall it's a pleasure to carry, to hold and to use and it gives lovely results. I've sold all my D810 kit...

Last edited:

hcubell

https://photographylife.com/fuji-gfx-50s-vs-hasselblad-x1d-50c/

Has anybody here similar observations with regards to the X1D?
In a word, no. I found the "review" to be simplistic and superficial, but I don't disagree with some of his observations given his preferences in the way he wants a medium format camera to function. He starts from the premise that the GFX is preferable to the X1D because it is essentially a scaled up version of the XT-2 with a bigger sensor. If you share that premise, his statements that the menu system of the GFX is "superb" and the ergonomics are way better than the X1D will make sense to you. He criticizes the X1D because it is simplistic...too few options. I dislike intensely the menu system of Japanese cameras like the GFX, which is cluttered with JPEG oriented crap that, to me, has no place in a professional level, medium format camera. I want a streamlined, menu system that offers what I need, not everything under the sun for a JPEG shooter. The approach of the H6 and the XF is what appeals to me.

Turning to Masunov's specific complaints about the X1D:

1. Lags and blackouts. The X1D takes 7 seconds to power up. True. Is it a serious issue? Not for me with what and the way I shoot. I rarely find myself in a situation where 4 seconds is going to make a difference. If I am traveling and in the street where i want to shoot spontaneously, I can leave the X1D in standby mode. Masunov claims the EVF on the X1D has a 2-3 second blackout after an exposure. It's actually 1.6 seconds. He fails to mention that the GFX has an EVF blackout of .6 seconds. Both cameras limit your ability to follow the flow of the action in real time.

2. Lack of a joystick in the X1D. Yes, it would be nice if it had one. However, you can either use the front and rear dials to select the AF point or you can press the AF point on the rear LCD. It's better than what I now have with my Sony A7RII.

3. No dedicated button to change the metering mode. True, but who needs it? You just press on the metering symbol on the rear LCD and the three metering options pop up. I don't need to remember which button does what. There is a visual icon of the metering mode that you press.

4. The AF system. He claims that it is better on the GFX. My experience is different so far. In good light, they seem to be quite similar in terms of speed. In low light, the X1D seems better. I tend not to shoot moving things with very large apertures apertures. Neither camera is ideal for that. The approach that professionals have used for years is focus and recompose with a single AF point. Some really nice photographs have been made that way.

5. Bad bokeh with leaf shutter lenses in the X1D. I don't know what he is talking about here, but leaf shutter lenses are strongly preferred by professional photographers who shoot with flash. They must not know what they need.

For a competing and much more in depth analysis comparing the X1D and the GFX, read Lloyd Chambers' ongoing review.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I would add one thing to all the above: the main reason to purchase the X1D might well be the lenses.

My feeling is that the file quality in terms of DR and colour depth is somewhere between the A7RII and the D810. One gets, of course, to print larger or to crop tighter due to the extra pixels and, per reproduction size, the subtlety of tonal transition is greater with the X1D than either of the above cameras.

However, I personally haven't found an equivalent focal length lens for either the Sony or Nikon systems that has the centre-to-corner performance of the 30mm. At approx 24mm equivalent FOV it is a real staple for my kind of work and far too often, with SoNikon, the benefits of the sensor are lost to the weaknesses of the lenses.

I haven't tried them all of course - but I have tried a certain number and aside from the all-too-frequent need to return poorly manufactured copies I have too often found that the optical compromises induced by the perceived need to produce lenses with unrealistically wide maximum apertures lead to lenses with odd field effects resulting in uneven resolution across the field.

So the 30mm Hassy lens (forward focus shift aside, and I have yet to be affected by that) for me alone justifies the system. I was looking for high resolution high DR images which are effectively as uniformly sharp as a good Rodenstock or SK technical lens but in a non-technical camera format - and I've found it.

I have no idea from direct experience if the Fuji lenses are as good and I hope very much for my many friends who chose in that direction that they are.

Tmuussoni

In a word, no. I found the "review" to be simplistic and superficial, but I don't disagree with some of his observations given his preferences in the way he wants a medium format camera to function. He starts from the premise that the GFX is preferable to the X1D because it is essentially a scaled up version of the XT-2 with a bigger sensor. If you share that premise, his statements that the menu system of the GFX is "superb" and the ergonomics are way better than the X1D will make sense to you. He criticizes the X1D because it is simplistic...too few options. I dislike intensely the menu system of Japanese cameras like the GFX, which is cluttered with JPEG oriented crap that, to me, has no place in a professional level, medium format camera. I want a streamlined, menu system that offers what I need, not everything under the sun for a JPEG shooter. The approach of the H6 and the XF is what appeals to me.

Turning to Masunov's specific complaints about the X1D:

1. Lags and blackouts. The X1D takes 7 seconds to power up. True. Is it a serious issue? Not for me with what and the way I shoot. I rarely find myself in a situation where 4 seconds is going to make a difference. If I am traveling and in the street where i want to shoot spontaneously, I can leave the X1D in standby mode. Masunov claims the EVF on the X1D has a 2-3 second blackout after an exposure. It's actually 1.6 seconds. He fails to mention that the GFX has an EVF blackout of .6 seconds. Both cameras limit your ability to follow the flow of the action in real time.

2. Lack of a joystick in the X1D. Yes, it would be nice if it had one. However, you can either use the front and rear dials to select the AF point or you can press the AF point on the rear LCD. It's better than what I now have with my Sony A7RII.

3. No dedicated button to change the metering mode. True, but who needs it? You just press on the metering symbol on the rear LCD and the three metering options pop up. I don't need to remember which button does what. There is a visual icon of the metering mode that you press.

4. The AF system. He claims that it is better on the GFX. My experience is different so far. In good light, they seem to be quite similar in terms of speed. In low light, the X1D seems better. I tend not to shoot moving things with very large apertures apertures. Neither camera is ideal for that. The approach that professionals have used for years is focus and recompose with a single AF point. Some really nice photographs have been made that way.

5. Bad bokeh with leaf shutter lenses in the X1D. I don't know what he is talking about here, but leaf shutter lenses are strongly preferred by professional photographers who shoot with flash. They must not know what they need.

For a competing and much more in depth analysis comparing the X1D and the GFX, read Lloyd Chambers' ongoing review.
I am planning to go for either the Blad or Fuji next summer. So I am still trying to make up my mind, as it involves a serious amount of $$$. I am very curious about the bad bokeh part. And sadly, it appears to be true. Here are few examples I have found:

X1D2-B7022505 copy by Ming Thein, on Flickr

XCD Lens 90mm Testshot by Masaru Yamamoto, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/AE9oEw

So indeed it is apparent that XCD 90/3.2 produces those honeycomb type of out of focus highlights. I find it to be extremely unattractive. My question is this: is the same behaviour going to be expected from all Hasselblad XCD lenses? I am curious if the coming XCD 120/3.5 Macro lens and future portrait (120/f2?) "features" the same honeycomb type of bokeh. I know it is very probably nobody knows the answer, yet. Does the same thing happen with Hasselblad H series lenses? So far I never seen that on Sony RX1 (leaf shutter) or Phase One Schneider lenses. Yes, I admit it's bit of an issue to me as it seems my eyes are directly drawn to such irregular shapes. :(

Godfrey

... Let's face it, the Nikon D810 and Sony a7RII are the best full-frame 35mm cameras on the market today. ...
LOL! I disagree completely. Junked my Sony, never went past the Nikon D750 ... just didn't really like either much. I also neither read nor care what 'digilloyd' has to say. Yeah, I'm a contrarian. :ROTFL:

What I do agree with is that the X1D is a superb thing. The only ongoing issue ... ongoing until I make a decision that is ... is whether to sell off my Hassy 500CM and lenses for it or to simply buy the CFV-50c and be done with it. Two entirely different kinds of camera, entirely different ways to go digital with Hasselblad.

Luckily, I've got my "best full-frame 35mm cameras" (yes, two different ones) to work with until I make up my mind. :toocool: I ain't hurtin'.

G

hcubell

This is my tenth Hasselblad X1D camera delivery in the past two months. I love seeing the excitement and pure joy on my customers' faces as they open the box and hold their new camera for the first time. I have decided to share these happy moments!

https://www.peterlorber.com/single-...y-Delivery-Hasselblad-X1D-Meet-Your-New-Human
Peter, I would be equally ecstatic if you could get me some batteries and an HC lens adapter! I would send you some pictures of the unboxing.