The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with X1D

PedroL

Peter, I would be equally ecstatic if you could get me some batteries and an HC lens adapter! I would send you some pictures of the unboxing.
The batteries are shipping, but I have a ton of pre-orders and those will be filled first.
If you would like some from us, please place an order....
Peter

satijntje

I have been shooting since several years with Leica FF but the images here are simply blowing me away!
What an amazing quality!
John

Last edited:

rent

Chris, or anyone,

Would you kindly confirm that the Metz M400 works with XCD 30 and 45 lenses with the lens hood on, i.e., the hood does not cast a shadow in the lower part of the photo?

Thanks!
Alex

If anyone is looking for a small on camera flash, I'm happy to report that the new Metz M400 (Nikon version) works great also in TTL mode. I usually work with Profoto but sometimes it's nice to just have a small on camera flash for the days that you don't want to carry much gear.

rent

It's time to joining in on the fun!

So far I've used the X1D as a casual "lifestyle" walk-around camera, and have enjoyed it tremendously. It's simple, light, and produces amazing results.

I usually use aperture priority, center point manual focus (back button focus) with peaking, auto ISO, and center spot metering. There's no need to fiddle with anything on the back screen. Just focus, recompose, dial in exposure, and shoot. In fact, for this type of usage, I really wish there's a setting to completely turn off the back screen.

Anyway, here's a snap from LA County Arboretum. 1/80 sec, f/3.5, ISO 100 with XCD 30. This is a tiny 2200x1650 crop since obviously I wasn't that close to the peacock with the 30mm lens. Processed in LR.

Alex

B0000116.jpg

satijntje

Marvelous shot of the big ben!
Would you mind giving a few more details of this picture? ISO, shutter time, lens used?
Thanks a lot and please continue with showing your work!

John

pflower

Re: Fun with X1D - Pointing and Shooting

I had meetings in the City of London and West End so took along the X1D with 45mm lens. No images to really get excited about but I thought that some more pictures might be of interest to keep this thread going.

My favourite walk about camera is the A7ii with the 35mm Sony lens. So for me the 45mm is perfect. I really don't need the 90mm but will consider the 30mm at some point, but since I have an HC 80mm and the HCD 28mm I am rather thinking that for £250 the sensible solution would be just to buy the adapter when it becomes available since the 45mm is my lens of choice and will certainly be the most used.

The X1D is not as fast as the A7ii for walking about but in some respects it is just as good and convenient. For me the major disadvantage at present is that there is no review in the EVF so, trying to avoid traffic/people passing in the frame when you don't want them, is not as easy as with the A7ii when you can immediately see in the EVF whether or not you have captured what you expected to. Second glitch is that the light press on the shutter does not, on my camera at least, always immediately return one to live view. Sometimes it requires several presses - annoying. But the image quality is wonderful. ISO 1600 is extraordinarily clean - the shot of the butcher's shopfront was 1/90th at 1600 wide open at f3.5. No noise reduction and if I were to print it I am not at all sure I would even bother adding some. Since I am not particularly drawn to "decisive moment" pictures of people in motion blindingly fast AF is not actually of much interest to me (and when one thinks about it neither Garry Winogrand or HCB ever had it at their disposal either). But setting to manual focus and using the AFD button on the back works really well - for me at least. The A7ii has image stabilisation and is also mirrorless. But somehow I am getting sharper shots at low shutter speeds on the X1D than on the A7ii. Maybe it is something to do with the fact that the X1D is a bit heavier and thus more stable than the A7ii or maybe it is down to the leaf shutter, but I was surprised to see that some (definitely not all but a reasonable percentage) shots made (by mistake) at shutter speeds of 1/40th second were tack sharp. For the most part even with the 35mm lens I wouldn't expect to get many useable images at that shutter speed with the A7ii.

The more I use this camera the more I like it. I have just sold my CFV-50c and will return my V series Hasselblad to film use (I am finally building my darkroom again). But this is, for me, the camera.

onesixeight

Adding shot info: 45mm, ISO 3200, f/3.5, 1/60s :)
I recently got my X1D and I've been getting random NO CARD errors. I'll be shooting and mid way, the camera will lock up and say "NO CARD". I've tried a couple of different cards including the 32GB Sandisk 95MB that was included in the camera. Also tried 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 95/MB that I've used in many of my cameras.

Anyone have a similar issue when shooting the X1D? Usually rebooting it will solve the problem but very frustrating mid shoot.

pflower

I recently got my X1D and I've been getting random NO CARD errors. I'll be shooting and mid way, the camera will lock up and say "NO CARD". I've tried a couple of different cards including the 32GB Sandisk 95MB that was included in the camera. Also tried 128GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 95/MB that I've used in many of my cameras.

Anyone have a similar issue when shooting the X1D? Usually rebooting it will solve the problem but very frustrating mid shoot.
Yes I had this consistently when I first got my camera. That was with the 16GB card that was supplied with the camera (you obviously did better with a 32GB card!) and a 64GB Sandisk Extreme card I already had - Class 10 but 60mbs. Then it just stopped happening. I do notice that upon start up the camera will report, for a very brief moment, that the Card is full but then shows the correct number of exposures left. However I have not had a "no card" error message for at least 600 exposures. No idea why but it just stopped happening. I suppose the logical response would be to reformat the card in the camera, but I didn't do that - just persevered and the problem seems to have gone away. Clearly there are some stability problems - I get a system error every few hundred exposures with no discernible pattern (but immediately solved by removing the battery and restarting) and occassionally I have got a "no lens attached" error message even though I only have the 45mm and so never unmount it. The other annoying problem I have is that when live view shuts down a light press on the shutter button does not always return the camera to live view.

On the whole though I think these are teething problems and either sort themselves out or will be sorted out. However I do not make my living with this camera and so can live with them.

hcubell

Yes I had this consistently when I first got my camera. That was with the 16GB card that was supplied with the camera (you obviously did better with a 32GB card!) and a 64GB Sandisk Extreme card I already had - Class 10 but 60mbs. Then it just stopped happening. I do notice that upon start up the camera will report, for a very brief moment, that the Card is full but then shows the correct number of exposures left. However I have not had a "no card" error message for at least 600 exposures. No idea why but it just stopped happening. I suppose the logical response would be to reformat the card in the camera, but I didn't do that - just persevered and the problem seems to have gone away. Clearly there are some stability problems - I get a system error every few hundred exposures with no discernible pattern (but immediately solved by removing the battery and restarting) and occassionally I have got a "no lens attached" error message even though I only have the 45mm and so never unmount it. The other annoying problem I have is that when live view shuts down a light press on the shutter button does not always return the camera to live view.

On the whole though I think these are teething problems and either sort themselves out or will be sorted out. However I do not make my living with this camera and so can live with them.
I have not had such problems. I am using 64gb Sandisk Extreme Pro cards. Early on, I did have several No Lens Attached messages, but the lens was actually not properly attached.