The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Adapt 645 or 67 lenses on Hasselblad H series body

TRixxY

Hello everybody ...
I'm absolutely new to the Hasselblad H system and am facing some questions ...
Nor google or my experience with dslr, medium format could help ...

I got myself a H3D, as it was cheaper than a H1/2 with backs.
I'm in need of longer lenses than the 80/2.8 I have purchased.
So going through all Hassi options, my budget is way too short for the beginning.
I have used in the past RB67 and Mamiya 645Pro TL and the lenses were really good to use and sharp.
As I could find out, the focal plane distance on the H system is shorter than for the older 645/67 systems... so it would be no problem attaching them to the H body and have full focus range up to infinity, as there would be enough space for an adapter ...
The H3D back with 22mp also can be used on Sinars etc ... so only a lens with manual release and PC sync cable is needed, as far as I understand the manual.
So I'm wondering where to find an adapter to be used with eg Mamiya 645 lenses ... als I yesterday had the problem, that the Body didn't fire without lens ... is there any menu point I have overseen?

Any hint would be apreciated .. thank you very much.
Next week I booked the studio to check first shots with the Hassi ... 16-32 and Portra is ready 😉

Cheers from black forest, germany ...
Mike

Last edited:

Arjuna

An H3D camera does not have a (focal plane) shutter - the lenses have (leaf) shutters. I think this means that you cannot adapt lenses that don't have shutters, e.g. Pentax 645/67 lenses, Mamiya 645 lenses, to work with it. On a Sinar you would only using the digital back, not the camera body, and you would be syncing the back's capture to the shutter in the lens. The only adapter that I am aware of is for Hasselblad V-series lenses, which also have shutters. I suspect that explains why the camera won't work without a (H, or V with adapter) lens.

TRixxY

Hello Arjuna,

thank you for your thoughts.
Sure lenses need to have a shutter built in, that's why they have to have a PC sync (to let the digi back know it's firing, same as for eg Sinar or others) and the shutter must be released at the lens ...
I have found a possibility to let the H body fire without lens.
If I'd use a Z lens and Mup, maybe there is a chance that the back will fire through the signal given by the lens PC socket ...

Probably need to find out ... I've got a Koni Rapid with 90mm shutter lens, just need to make a synch cable ... why the hell do they call it PC socket if it's not one?!

Further input appreciated.

Ed Hurst

One thing you will also find hard is using the RB/RZ lenses - as they don't have focusing mechanisms in them (designed to be focused with the bellows and rail of the camera). So you would need some way of focusing them - perhaps with a helicoid; so it's not just about mounting, lens coverage, registration distance and the presence of a lens shutter.

TRixxY

Hello Ed,

thank you for your reply.
You're absolutely right ... RB/RZ will be the wrong way... :facesmack:

I think Mamiya Z lenses could work.
Focus manually, cock the shutter, Hasselblad Mup and fire the lens.
PC sync of lens attached to cabke release of body and body set to a bit longer exposure of the lens ... that should work. :clap: