The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Buying a phaseone IQ160 in 2017

jng

In my experience the IQ160 is a great back and capable of delivering breathtaking images. For landscape and still life, my D800E has seen little use since I got the IQ160. There's just no comparison. Sure, I've been lusting after the IQ3 100 but that's just not in the cards for me (I used all of my get out of jail cards with my wife when I purchased my "factory refurbished" IQ160). It appears that you would be starting out with excellent lenses and a decent body that can be upgraded at some point down the line if you feel it's worth the money. Suffice it to say that a starting kit with these lenses and MFDB leaves little room for excuses when the images don't turn out as expected!

Have fun!

John

Pics2

Yes, you have the latest Firmware, and yes, you can update firmwares by yourself. It is very easy now with PhaseOne Firmware Updater, which you can download from Phase One site.
I guess XF is great body, but the one you have is great, too. I even have DF, the older version, and since it was updated by my dealer, it work flawlessly - I couldn't update it by myself, the grip is needed.
About the price - it is a great deal. Probably, the introduction of Fuji GFX and Hasselblad X1D has something to do with price drop.

schuster

Just chiming-in with my IQ-160 experience... Got it a few months after it came out for my "V system" Hasselblads. Bizarre color drove me almost sane trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. Sent it back to Digital Transitions who forwarded it to Denmark. They sent me a refurbished loaner which I wound up keeping. Has worked beautifully since then. The only thing I would give it up for, at this point, would an X1D with internal image stabilization.

EdwinV

Guys! Thank you so much for your inputs. I have made the purchase. I am pretty excited. Will let you know my experiences with this new system.

It's a big step for me!!!

:)

EdwinV

I have received the kit and it is absolutely stunning. The seller just used it in its studio and it looks like new. My initial tests are jaw dropping. It is amazing how sharp are those lenses.

Thank you so much for helping me.

:)
Edwin

rollsman44

How is the AF accuracy on the DF+ and the 160? Thanks Also, what about the IQ 140 in the event the 160 cant be found
Portraits and Group shots . Is what I do

kdphotography

Double-tap the shutter button to help the DF+ body more accurately lock focus. It works, but not nearly as accurate or fast as the XF body. XF body with HAP2 upgrade is better yet in dimly lit studios and similar lighting.

The XF body made a HUGE difference to me when I was working professionally---and that was mostly portraits and groups. The number of out of focus shots diminished dramatically with the XF body to the point where it simply was not an issue. I can't say that with the DF body. I know all the shortcomings and foibles of the old body series, having come from the original Mamiya AF, AFD, AFDII + III and DF body, which was a large improvement but Phase really was flogging an old film body to work, er, perform, with high tech digital backs which really required more capability and precision. Hence, the XF.

rollsman44

If the XF body has just the Hap 1 will that be enough or will I still need the Hap 2
Lets say you wanted to go with Hap2 is it costly to do it? How much will it improve with having just the Hap 1? Thanks again Dennis

kdphotography

XF with Hap 1 is fine. Hap2 upgrade is most noticeable in dim lighting situations. It's a bump up in AF capability. It's probably better to buy an XF body with Hap2 than trying to upgrade is my guess---but I'd check with a dealer if having Hap2 is important to you

rollsman44

Thank you Ken. I did see a few XF bodies with Hap 1 and I will most likely get one of them and Pass on the DF+ body. You have been extremely helpful and I appreciate it. Dennis