Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 51 to 61 of 61

Thread: An Icelandic Saga (learning from my mistakes!)

  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    California/Thailand
    Posts
    1,206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: An Icelandic Saga (learning from my mistakes!)

    I'm pretty convinced that if one knows C1 that lots of images can be well handled without export. Unfortunately, that doesn't describe me. I've been impressed by the results of some folks who obviously know how to use C1 well. I look forward to a time when I can learn to get more of the app, as I'm still doing my conversions in C1 and finishing in PS (Phase files).

    It'll be worth it to me to sign-up for some guidance on the app at some point, so that I can get results like Jack and others do from C1. I love the RAW conversions, but don't use many of the tools to my best advantage, as I stubbornly cling to my other workflow.

  2. #52
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: An Icelandic Saga (learning from my mistakes!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I am confused because you said that C1 could not handle it, but C1 can still output a 16-bit TIFF, so I do not see what the benefit of exporting to LR has over say adjusting highlight levels in C1?

    Cheers,

    Though C1 shows the areas as being totally clipped beyond recovery, and on screen with highlight warning turned off those areas look posterised, if you export the file as a 16 bit tiff and then open them in LR you can then use LR adjustments to unclip and de-posterise. I know, weird, search me!

    t

  3. #53
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: An Icelandic Saga (learning from my mistakes!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Allyn View Post
    I'm pretty convinced that if one knows C1 that lots of images can be well handled without export. Unfortunately, that doesn't describe me. I've been impressed by the results of some folks who obviously know how to use C1 well. I look forward to a time when I can learn to get more of the app, as I'm still doing my conversions in C1 and finishing in PS (Phase files).

    It'll be worth it to me to sign-up for some guidance on the app at some point, so that I can get results like Jack and others do from C1. I love the RAW conversions, but don't use many of the tools to my best advantage, as I stubbornly cling to my other workflow.
    I love C1 now... even got mostly used to its workflow... it's just this one weird effect with the high vis clothing that seems to freak it out. And the recent update seems to have made it more stable on my eight core Xeon too....

  4. #54
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: An Icelandic Saga (learning from my mistakes!)

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Though C1 shows the areas as being totally clipped beyond recovery, and on screen with highlight warning turned off those areas look posterised, if you export the file as a 16 bit tiff and then open them in LR you can then use LR adjustments to unclip and de-posterise. I know, weird, search me!

    t
    So if I understand you,

    1) You did not apply the highlight slider in C1 to the file, and

    2) You output it to LR using LR as an OUTPUT image editor and NOT a raw converter and corrected it there -- and ostensibly that same work could have been done is CS.

    I just wanted to clarify this point as it sounded like you originally were saying using C1 as a raw converter didn't work, but using LR as the raw converter did work -- and that simply made no sense to me

    Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  5. #55
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Manchester/Jerusalem
    Posts
    2,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    290

    Re: An Icelandic Saga (learning from my mistakes!)

    I've had and owned both joystick heads and neither is particularly stable for serious work (use them for fast moving wedding work). I did use the 322 in the beginning with a Mamiya 645 Pro, cost me some decent images until I realised I needed a real head. I had the Manfrotto 468MG which is a great head though heavy, now shooting with a BH-40 which is tiny, light and incredibly strong though more prone to tightening droop than the 468 was. I'm using it with 35mm though, not sure I wouldn't want a bigger head for medium format.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

    Website: http://www.timelessjewishart.com

  6. #56
    jmvdigital
    Guest

    Re: An Icelandic Saga (learning from my mistakes!)

    For what it's worth... I was having vibration issues with my Phamiya/P30+ after I got started shooting some macro with all three extension tubes on the 150D. The head is a RRS BH-55, and the legs were an older Slik 700 aluminum set. Even with a weight attached and waiting 10-15 seconds after MLU, I would still get vibration. Presumably, from the shutter, as mentioned. I picked up the sweet carbon Gitzo GT5541S. Those sticks are from their "Systematic" line; they hold 55lbs., 3-sections, with tubes about 1.5"-2" diameter. The thing is huge and ridiculous stable, even at only 5.9lbs. No center column, and a nice big flat head mounting plate. I was going to get the G1500, which is the aluminum equivalent; it's rated at 44lbs. and stands about as high, but it weighs 9.7lbs. The GT5541S isn't for the faint of heart (especially not at $850), but my primary concern was stability. Weight and size were secondary, the carbon just let me minimize those as well.

    The combination of the carbon, larger tube diameter (stiffer), heavier weight, no center column, and Gitzo quality... solved my vibration problems.

    I read somewhere that the Gitzo "Series #" is related to the maximum leg diameter. So a series 1 has the smallest legs, and Series 5 have the largest diameter legs. The larger the diameter, the stiffer the tube, even if the tube wall is thinner.

  7. #57
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: An Icelandic Saga (learning from my mistakes!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    So if I understand you,

    1) You did not apply the highlight slider in C1 to the file, and

    2) You output it to LR using LR as an OUTPUT image editor and NOT a raw converter and corrected it there -- and ostensibly that same work could have been done is CS.

    I just wanted to clarify this point as it sounded like you originally were saying using C1 as a raw converter didn't work, but using LR as the raw converter did work -- and that simply made no sense to me

    Cheers,
    Jack, I'll test all this again later cos I did a lot of fiddling back and forth but in summary as I remember:

    By the time the exposure slider, the highlight slider or the levels editor had been tweaked so as to remove all clipping in teh high vis clothing, the rest of the file was a mess as viewed in C1

    But make the file look broadly well-balanced in C1 but still with blown high-vis areas, then export to 16 bit tiff to LR and those areas were warned as far less blown and more easily corrected without screwing up

    Opening the RAW file directly into LR also gave better control over the blown areas.

    I think....

  8. #58
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    California/Thailand
    Posts
    1,206
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: An Icelandic Saga (learning from my mistakes!)

    I'm getting very good results from the GT3541XLS (also part of the Systematic line). For me it, it's a sweet spot because I don't mind carrying it. The extra height is fantastic in steep terrain.

    Lots of options if one is willing to take it along.

  9. #59
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: An Icelandic Saga (learning from my mistakes!)

    Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Jack, I'll test all this again later cos I did a lot of fiddling back and forth but in summary as I remember:

    By the time the exposure slider, the highlight slider or the levels editor had been tweaked so as to remove all clipping in teh high vis clothing, the rest of the file was a mess as viewed in C1

    But make the file look broadly well-balanced in C1 but still with blown high-vis areas, then export to 16 bit tiff to LR and those areas were warned as far less blown and more easily corrected without screwing up

    Opening the RAW file directly into LR also gave better control over the blown areas.

    I think....
    Sounds like you may want your local C1 tech to walk you through the C1 adjustments. This is something we teach on our workshops, and once understood, C1 will deliver a superior file from a Phase back over any other raw converter -- though admittedly not all of the required C1 adjustments are intuitive.

    Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  10. #60
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    carstenw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Posts
    2,530
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: An Icelandic Saga (learning from my mistakes!)

    Quote Originally Posted by John Black View Post
    Carsten - I understood what you meant. My point was that Leica tweaked the DNG format in such a way that none of DNG portable storage / viewers can read the embedded JPEG in the DNG file. This topic has come up before. I think there is one device that does, but its rendering time is painfully slow (like 60 seconds per image). It's likely Leica will follow a similar approach with S2 DNGs (assuming they are DNGs), so it's safer to assume the S2 will NOT be supported by portable storage devices.

    For reviewing images on site, if possible a laptop is vastly superior IMO. I like the portable storage devices, but a laptop offers much more.
    I am not aware of anything unusual in the Leica M8 DNG format. I am a 3D graphics programmer by trade, and took a crack at writing a DNG decoder, and was able to dump the entire header without needing to know any special things about the format; just working from the TIFF 6.0, TIFF/EP and DNG specs.

    I am not sure why some companies are not able to extract the JPG. Perhaps the JPG uses some unusual options, although I kinda doubt it.

    Do you know where I could find out more about this? I am kinda curious.
    Carsten - Website

  11. #61
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: An Icelandic Saga (learning from my mistakes!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Sounds like you may want your local C1 tech to walk you through the C1 adjustments. This is something we teach on our workshops, and once understood, C1 will deliver a superior file from a Phase back over any other raw converter -- though admittedly not all of the required C1 adjustments are intuitive.

    Cheers,
    Would happily do so... I have ventured into that darkest of caves, the Color (sic) Editor and without having quite saved the maiden, at least got the measure of the dragon... until this freaky high vis thing hit me.

    I thought I'd penetrated to the core of everything apart from file management (how many trash cans does a man need?) but now I realise that the Quest has Just Begun... my Doctor recommends a week in Wine Country...


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •