The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

An Icelandic Saga (learning from my mistakes!)

tashley

Subscriber Member
Having assembled a decent kit bag (P45+, Phamiya, Cambo WDS with Schneider 35 XL, 28D, Hartblei 45, 80D and 150 F3.5) I packed it all up with cable release, LCC card, tripod etc. and a bagful of M8 stuff and headed off for Iceland.

I have a show early next year that I need to start thinking about but this trip was really intended to get more closely acquainted with the Phase stuff whilst maybe getting towards some ideas for the show.

As it was, I somewhat screwed up, mostly my own fault but largely useful learning experience material. As a result my acceptable shots are mostly from the M8 rather than the Phase gear but I am now fairly confident that I have the issues nailed. In summary:

1) Always take a few spare cable releases. One managed to self-unscrew on a glacier while I wasn't looking, the other snapped its snout off in my Phamiya shutter release when it's tail got caught in a tripod's legs when I snapped them together for carrying. Lazy me. But Reykjavik had ONE purchasable release to offer so after the lost one and the broken one I was out of luck and couldn't properly use the Cambo.

2) Know that unless your tripod is heavier than most people want to travel with, you can't shoot a 150mm lens at less than about 1/125th without shake. I lost a lot of shots, some I'd kill to have kept, by shooting at 1/40th thru 1/80th on the 150mm and even some on the 80mm and this with tripod, MUP and cable in not high wind. On the other hand, I got sharpish shots from a moving vehicle handheld on the 80mm lens at 1/200th.

3) Bizarre moment: red/orange High Viz clothing blows the P45+ sensor's red channel if developed in C1 but if exported to LR as TIFF or just opened in LR it is recoverable.

4) For very best quality, the 80mm, 150mm with faster shutter but most of all the Schneider 35XL can give amazing corner to corner sharpness. Under no circumstances can the 28D do this.

5) The Phamiya is no action cam. It has terrible and seemingly unpredictable shutter lag that seems randomly to come and go.

6) Never try to use a tech cam at minus 8 in a 50mph wind with a Kapture Group release thingie. It will serially misfire to p*ss you off and the back will give you helpful error messages to dismiss before your forzen fingers can try again.

7) Never try to use tilt on a Hartblei with parameters you have not already exhaustively tested elsewhere. You can't tether on a glacier and you can't judge Scheimpflug focus TTL. Obviously.

8) NEVER EVER EVER stay in a hotel which offers Nomadix as its internet access provider. Just don't. For the sake of your sanity.

Err, that's about it.

At times I wished I had traded in everything I own for a D3X, D700 and a bag of lenses but what I have learned is that this MF stuff takes a looong time to get to know well enough to rely on. I hope I am now up to speed for my next trip to the amazingly interesting Iceland!

The results are here: http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/p184200651/h58a8501#h106cc9c6

Best

Tim

View attachment 13396

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

Interesting results Tim! If you are still here, let me know, we should get a drink. What hotel had Nomadix? I've never heard of it...I would say 90% of internet connections here are either Siminn, Vodafone or Hive...
And where did you try to buy the cable release? I would be surprised if they did not have a bunch at Beco. I bought an electronic one for Nikon there today...

Anyway, great photos! We have been really lucky with the weather lately, you picked a perfect time to come.

robmac

Very sorry to hear about the trials and tribulations. Always thought that the mechanical releases were simple/reliable 'cave-man tech' but never thought about what would happen if the sucker snapped off internally. Nice to have a $10 piece of glorified bicycle cable put a uber-camera on the disabled list.

Like you say, lessons learned. Looking fwd to seeing what shots you did managed to secure.

Any changes you'll make to your kit as a result of the trip?

tashley

Subscriber Member
Interesting results Tim! If you are still here, let me know, we should get a drink. What hotel had Nomadix? I've never heard of it...I would say 90% of internet connections here are either Siminn, Vodafone or Hive...
And where did you try to buy the cable release? I would be surprised if they did not have a bunch at Beco. I bought an electronic one for Nikon there today...

Anyway, great photos! We have been really lucky with the weather lately, you picked a perfect time to come.
Hey Stuart!

It would have been great to have met up but I got home yesterday - though I have a feeling I might well return soonish...

Beco were closed til 10am when I went there (and I had a schedule taking me out of town) and both the places on Skipholt were out of stock... and grumpy.

The hotel was Reykjavik Centrum, which is otherwise really really good, but Nomadix is a very annoying thing indeed IMHO.

Lucky with the weather?! You would not have said that at 7 pm last Wednesday when our vehicle was stuck off road near the Myrdalsjokull. Or on Monday as we tackled the mountain passes of Snaefellsnes in high winds and drifting snow... or maybe you're a hardier soul! But it was gorgeous some of the time and I must say that people who do it in August are pussies!

;-)

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Very sorry to hear about the trials and tribulations. Always thought that the mechanical releases were simple/reliable 'cave-man tech' but never thought about what would happen if the sucker snapped off internally. Nice to have a $10 piece of glorified bicycle cable put a uber-camera on the disabled list.

Like you say, lessons learned. Looking fwd to seeing what shots you did managed to secure.

Any changes you'll make to your kit as a result of the trip?
Hi Rob,

Yup, I really learned to appreciate the 'weakest link' theory! I tend lazily to screw a release in and leave it there as I hoik the camera around on the tripod. Somewhere in Thingvellir, seat of the world's oldest parliament and meeting place of the European and North American tectonic plates, is my old cable release...

The shots I got are at http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/p184200651/h58a8501#h106cc9c6

Changes.... Hmmm... Ideally I'd ditch the Phamiya, switch the Cambo WDS for an RS or an Alpa Max with a 35 and an 80 and then a DX3 with some glass. Much as the M8 was amazing, as ever, it's getting long in the tooth sensor wise.

Oh, and I'd add a shovel for getting vehicles out of snow. Icelandic drivers seem not to have thought of this!

;-)

T

PeterA

Tashley - wonderful shots - Stuart has already convinced me that a trip to Iceland is a MUST via his shots , your shots reinforce my motivation. What a beautiful beautiful environment - I want to surf the shore break you photographed :ROTFL: and swim in the hot springs :thumbup:

I have to agree with you on tripods..it isnt a trivial matter to get a truly sharp shot with a 150 or longer lens in any weather Also yes - Schneider 35XL is an awesome lens is it not?

Also your observation regarding the M8 pound for pound - the best travel kit one could possibly ask for - just make room for an XPan and some film as well!

thanks for posting.

Pete

Dale Allyn

Tim, like Pete, Iceland is on my list of places to visit. Your images help to re-enforce that idea. Thanks for posting the link to your gallery.

BTW: I've not found problems with getting sharp images with the 150 and 210 (or 120 macro) on a 3 series Gitzo CF leg set with B-55 head (plus gear bag on the tripod). Were you traveling with a lighter tripod rig than this? Just curious what you found to be a bit too light so that I don't fall into the same trap. Thanks.

Stuart Richardson

Hey Stuart!

It would have been great to have met up but I got home yesterday - though I have a feeling I might well return soonish...

Beco were closed til 10am when I went there (and I had a schedule taking me out of town) and both the places on Skipholt were out of stock... and grumpy.

The hotel was Reykjavik Centrum, which is otherwise really really good, but Nomadix is a very annoying thing indeed IMHO.

Lucky with the weather?! You would not have said that at 7 pm last Wednesday when our vehicle was stuck off road near the Myrdalsjokull. Or on Monday as we tackled the mountain passes of Snaefellsnes in high winds and drifting snow... or maybe you're a hardier soul! But it was gorgeous some of the time and I must say that people who do it in August are pussies!

;-)
Last Wednesday I was standing in a gale taking this!

I was wearing a wool shirt, a fleece zip up, a fleece outer jacket, and a waterproof shell over that...a pair of glove liners covered in a pair of wool fingerless gloves (that turn into mittens). I wore a light wool hat with another wool hat on top of it, then my jacket's hood over that. Jeans with thermal underwear and hiking boots with heavy wool socks. That was good enough to be outside for a few hours. Wind was dead calm on the south side of the fjord, 60mph on the north side. And blowing snow...

But it was beautiful. I guess beautiful for me means not raining and able to see the sky and landscape. The only time it gets depressing here is when you can't see the landscape--as long as you can, it takes your breath away.

It certainly is beautiful in the summer, but I have spent the last two winters here and have really come to appreciate the beauty of it. Just don't let go of your tripod though. Just because it is a Rollei 6008 and 180/2.8 (at 3 metric tons total weight) doesn't mean the wind won't toss it over like an empty paper cup.

Anyway, sorry to hear about the places on Skipholt...Ljosmyndavorur doesn't really carry very much and Fotoval is kind of a disaster...Beco is generally pretty good, though things are so expensive there. It really does pay to bring backups of everything from B&H...probably cheaper to just buy an extra there than to risk having to find it on short notice here...

Next time though, shoot me an email if you have any problems. I would probably have something like that to lend you in an pinch.

BradleyGibson

Hi, Tim,

Great post, thank you, and sorry to hear about the issues you had.

Some very dramatic images you captured--nicely done! My advice: try not to worry too much about the ones you missed--celebrate the ones you got! (I know--it's hard) :) The ones you got are indeed wonderful!

I spent some time in Iceland last er, um, well, August (I guess that makes me a pussy) and found medium format to be challenging, but worth the struggle!

I had a Hy6 at the time, and had a few different issues as well. In the end, it's really hard to find the "right" system--patience is going to help.

You can see some of my Iceland work at http://gibsonphotographic.com/Iceland.

I too hope to return before long. It was spectacular.

Best,
Brad

Last edited:

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Tim - Lovely work - thanks for posting it.

On the technical issues in my experience this was about an average week of shooting a large, complex MF system.

Regards,

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tashley - wonderful shots - Stuart has already convinced me that a trip to Iceland is a MUST via his shots , your shots reinforce my motivation. What a beautiful beautiful environment - I want to surf the shore break you photographed :ROTFL: and swim in the hot springs :thumbup:

I have to agree with you on tripods..it isnt a trivial matter to get a truly sharp shot with a 150 or longer lens in any weather Also yes - Schneider 35XL is an awesome lens is it not?

Also your observation regarding the M8 pound for pound - the best travel kit one could possibly ask for - just make room for an XPan and some film as well!

thanks for posting.

Pete

Pete, you may think that surfing there is a joke but there's a lake in Thingvellir, the bottom of which is lower than sea level (making it really very very deep) that apparently really freaks out the scuba divers who dive in it because the water is so pure that they can see all the way to the bottom. No mention was made of how cold it is but it was the only lake I saw that wasn't frozen...

The M8 really was a star and I found myself repeatedly reaching for it and thanking God that I hadn't risked a 5DII, which is apparently not so good with temperature and moisture fluctuations.

Best

Tim

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim, like Pete, Iceland is on my list of places to visit. Your images help to re-enforce that idea. Thanks for posting the link to your gallery.

BTW: I've not found problems with getting sharp images with the 150 and 210 (or 120 macro) on a 3 series Gitzo CF leg set with B-55 head (plus gear bag on the tripod). Were you traveling with a lighter tripod rig than this? Just curious what you found to be a bit too light so that I don't fall into the same trap. Thanks.
I was using a Gitzo aluminium GT2330 with Manfortto 322RC2 ball head - a combo I chose for weight, apparent sturdiness, and the fact that it packs into my suitcase. The strange thing was that nearly all shots at between 1/25th and 1/80th were lost, regardless of wind conditions, whereas some at 1/4 second survived. I did lose one rubber foot somewhere so the footing maybe wasn't so great, and the base was often snow or fine volcanic sand so maybe those were issues - but I have a sneaky feeling that there's some kind of oscillation in the rig, even with MUP and release, that comes purely from the shutter...

tashley

Subscriber Member
Last Wednesday I was standing in a gale taking this!
That's a very nice shot indeed Stuart!

Talking of camera-and-tripod rigs blowing away like paper cups, try a Cambo WDS, which is tall and flat like a sail. I had to hold onto that baby on your harbour front last Sunday, let me tell you! It kept just lifting off - all of it!

As for gloves, I use leather driving gloves because you can operate cameras without taking them off. They're not warm enough but they are convenient.

When I come back I'll PM you - it'd be great to have a beer.

Best

T

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hi, Tim,

Great post, thank you, and sorry to hear about the issues you had.

Some very dramatic images you captured--nicely done! My advice: try not to worry too much about the ones you missed--celebrate the ones you got! (I know--it's hard) :) The ones you got are indeed wonderful!

I spent some time in Iceland last er, um, well, August (I guess that makes me a pussy) and found medium format to be challenging, but worth the struggle!

I had a Hy6 at the time, and had a few different issues as well. In the end, it's really hard to find the "right" system--patience is going to help.

You can see some of my Iceland work at http://gibsonphotographic.com/Iceland.

I too hope to return before long. It was spectacular.

Best,
Brad

Ok, ok, now I've seen your Iceland gallery I want to go in August too! I particularly love the horse shot but a lot of the semi-abstracts are really really nice too.

I do think that whilst it's undeniable that an MF system will give the best results, a D3X would have given many more of them and at the same or better quality up to a certain print size (higher DR according to DXO and certainly better higher ISO) so I think that in a way taking MF was allowing the best to be the enemy of the good. But it was very icy, cold and blowy. In summer I'd certainly take MF again.

Best

T

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim - Lovely work - thanks for posting it.

On the technical issues in my experience this was about an average week of shooting a large, complex MF system.

Regards,
Phew, I thought it was just me being a Klutz!

I did try to check focus by chimping in the field but it's cumbersome, inaccurate and the screen is too small. If I did winter again, I'd take a laptop in the vehicle and upload every sub-shoot to check it. Some of the scenes were too good to miss and I missed them!

Stuart Richardson

Tim -- I used to use one of those grip ballheads, and did not find it to be very stable. I switched to Really Right Stuff and never looked back. The BH-40 is tiny, but very very steady. The BH-55 is certainly even more stable, but I have never had an issue with the BH-40 and even quite heavy camera systems. They are expensive, but they are the kind of thing you buy once and never have to buy again. If you are going to be shooting medium format digital, I think it is worth the extra bit of cash to get a stable platform. The way of working is much better too -- dedicated plates you can leave on the camera all the time (or just opt for a general plate) and are more stable on the camera, and working with them is really nice -- they are extremely smooth when open, and they lock down easily and very securely.

Anyway, I am not sure if the tripod is the issue here, but it's just something to consider.

carstenw

Stuart, I am close to ordering a BH55, but I would love to save a little on size (and money), if it doesn't compromise image quality. Like you, I will not be doing the 1-hour exposures that Phase One owners regularly do, and the longest lens I am likely to use in the near future is a 210mm Contax, with the possibility of a 350mm at some distant time.

What have you done with your BH40?