Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Has anyone seen or tried an HTS 1.5?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has anyone seen or tried an HTS 1.5?

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    I cannot give you the benfit of extended testing of the HTS, But I did have the opportunity to test it this weekend with my H3D-39 and the HC28mm lens, both untethered and tethered to a Macbook Pro. The bottom line for me is that it is way too difficult to focus accurately without the assistance of 100% image view on the Macbook, and that's just not realistic for me in the field. The HTS I tried out is owned by a highly skilled architectural photographer who is very happy with it and uses it frequently in his work, but he only shoots with it tethered. Perhaps Hasselblad can come up with some sort of tool for magnifying the image in the viewfinder(or another type of viewfinder) so that you can focus accurately with the HTS.
    BTW, when I was done trying the HTS, I put his HC35mm lens on the camera and took two exposures at different focus points and later used Helicon Focus to blend them. I have not had a chance to look real carefully but my initial reaction was that there was excellent sharpness through the whole image, including the corners, which surprised me a bit because the HC35mm lens does not have the best reputation among the HC lenses. For now, I will stick with Helicon Focus. It is an amazing piece of software that is giving me great results in many cases. It can't do everything the HTS can do, but for my work it is the most practical way to get extended DOF.
    Hi Howard,

You could try the waist level finder as well. I think it takes a bit of time to tune in to the HTS, but with the HCD28 and the HTS I can get pretty good results with manual focus. I was using a waist level though.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I am just using my grey cells for this: you put a lens between the lens and the camera to allow for these adjustment you want to achieve. No matter how good this lens is, it first has to amplify what the original lens produces in order to offer its service.

This cannot be really good quality. Just all my experiences with teleconverters from different brans tell me this.

Better would be a TS lens. Or tech camera.
    I have stayed away from this argument as it was well answered by others, but after speaking with the Product Manager a couple of weeks ago I have this to add.

The HTS is optically designed together with the lenses. Not generic lenses but five different lenses that are relatively optically similar. Performance is not degraded measurably.

Better would be a tech camera yes, but also consider usability in the field.

I understand that you do not like converters (absolutely fair enough) but to say 'This cannot be really good quality' without using the HTS is unfair.

If I showed you an image with the 28mm and the HTS, there would be no clue in the image if it was with or without the HTS.

Thanks!

David

Post Thanks / Like

David. I agree with you that when focus is spot on-- the images are outstanding. Sometimes i do have trouble but that is usually only when the iight is not optimal. I should have brought my level waist finder on this trip. I admit I have not tried the HTS with the level waist finder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Hasselblad View Post
    Hi Howard,

You could try the waist level finder as well. I think it takes a bit of time to tune in to the HTS, but with the HCD28 and the HTS I can get pretty good results with manual focus. I was using a waist level though.

David
    Interesting, David. I wonder if the use of the waist level finder would facilitate the use of some sort of magnifying device. I know someone who has investigated a variety of such devices fro his Mamiya AFD III.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't remember off hand if the HVM is more magnified that the HVD90... ill find out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Magnification of the HVD-90X is 3.1 and the HVM is 3.25

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Regardless the HTS is a great device overall. It is much better than having to buy individual TS lenses. I wish the 120mm macro lens worked on the HTS but nonetheless-- great idea and well executed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mark How does the HTS handle high frequency detail such as grasses, branches, etc. have you done any comparisons at say 100% of files done with the HTS against a file without the HTS...ie: just the lens, to get an idea about any possible loss of resolution with the HTS. Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    Regardless the HTS is a great device overall. It is much better than having to buy individual TS lenses. I wish the 120mm macro lens worked on the HTS but nonetheless-- great idea and well executed.

Post Thanks / Like

I did some still life flower shots with small leaves and my opinion (although I did not keep extremely controlled comparison files) at this point there is very little loss of detail but I really need to do some testing in the field, which I will do this week. So i cannot say anything definitive yet.

Quote Originally Posted by eleanorbrown View Post
    Mark How does the HTS handle high frequency detail such as grasses, branches, etc. have you done any comparisons at say 100% of files done with the HTS against a file without the HTS...ie: just the lens, to get an idea about any possible loss of resolution with the HTS. Eleanor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    80 x 1.5 = 120. Add the smallest extension tube and you are not far off!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Magnification of the HVD-90X is 3.1 and the HVM is 3.25

Woody
    Glad to know someone knows what they are talking about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David I'm assuming that with the HTS on my H2 camera and Phase back I will have use of the auto metering system when zeroed, is this correct? also will my H2 LCD on the grip have any read out as to settings of the HTS or not? (just got the camera back from NJ yesterday updated with firmware.) thanks! Eleanor

Post Thanks / Like

When you reach a certain level of tilt/shift the metering will automatically lock as it is then impossible to get an accurate reading. So either meter at 0 settings or verify with the histogram.

The LCD will output HTS settings yes, but you will not get the benefit of these settings in the file meta data.

David

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely have all the components to try this out -- If i were not so darn busy with my day job

Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Hasselblad View Post
    80 x 1.5 = 120. Add the smallest extension tube and you are not far off!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm . . . . started this thread three months ago hoping that someone would post center and edge crops with and without, and maybe an edge crop shifted 10mm. It doesn't have to be fine art - a neighbor's garage will do fine.

Is there anyone who has or has access to an HTS 1.5 and is willing to take this on?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Woody,

I thought I had already done that but seems it was over on Loony Landscape.

Apologies, and here are the shots..

Zero'd

Top Left @ 18mm Shift

Top Right @ 18mm Shift

Bottom Right @ 18mm Shift

Bottom Left @ 18mm Shift

A three way stitch so you can see coverage compared to the first centre shot...

Enough?

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David,

What camera do you used for the shots?

Thanks

Blas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlasR View Post
    David,

What camera do you used for the shots?

Thanks

Blas
    H3DII-50 and the HTS with 28mm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK I took the plunge and got the HTS and am learning to use it on my H2 with P45+ back. I've only had it a couple of days but bottom line is that quality is excellent and getting accurate focus on the edges of the frame involves a learning curve. You need good vision, your camera eyepiece set correctly and something with contrast to focus on. If you have these, focusing in reasonable low light is possible...sometimes challenging no doubt, but possible. Eleanor
    Last edited by eleanorbrown; 19th September 2009 at 19:03.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Eleanor

I love what the system was able to achieve with these two shots. Particularly the shot of the water at long exposure with the foreground in focus is impressive. Very Very nice

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Woody. I'm getting the hang of using this device and what I like is that it works with 4 of my lenses and works well. (I really like having the option to use normal and short telephoto lenses with movements)... the whole key is to get the focusing correct, which I mentioned can at times be challenging. It allows me to make images I never could have made otherwise. I've had three 4X5 cameras in the past with film use along with a hasselblad Flexbody. This HTS allows me to carry only one system that has many options and uses...anything from hand held quick shooting to landscapes on tripod with movements. I don't need to carry an extra tech camera for use with my Phase back. eleanor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here is one of my first attempts, other than the initial testing inside my house. This is NOT meant to be a pretty or interesting image, only an exercise in using the HTS. This one done with the 80mm lens which ends up being about a 120. Keep in mind this is not a scientific study....the water was moving, there was a breeze, but even so I was impressed with the resolution top to bottom. First image was the entire frame and only sharpening used at all was the "pre sharpen #1" in Capture One. no other sharpening was done. Same with the next two images, one of the left edge and one of the right corner. (the images of the edge and corner at at 100%) Eleanor
    Last edited by eleanorbrown; 19th September 2009 at 19:04.