The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Has anyone seen or tried an HTS 1.5?

fotografz

Sure, a TC can have its benefits and lower your travel and working weight.

But finally it is not the quality I like.

Which does not mean that it cannot be a very valuable a great asset for others.
How do you KNOW all this without actually seeing what the stuff looks like first hand?

Sure, any T/S solution that's part of the lens design is going to be some sort of a compromise compared to a high spec view camera and the new digital view lenses ... including this solution. Nothing new there.

It's a brave new world ... and many remarkable things are being accomplished by all the back makers using a combination of mechanical engineering, lens design and software engineering. The past is no indication of what can be ... or even is.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
How do you KNOW all this without actually seeing what the stuff looks like first hand?

Sure, any T/S solution that's part of the lens design is going to be some sort of a compromise compared to a high spec view camera and the new digital view lenses ... including this solution. Nothing new there.

It's a brave new world ... and many remarkable things are being accomplished by all the back makers using a combination of mechanical engineering, lens design and software engineering. The past is no indication of what can be ... or even is.
Just believe what you like to believe!

I have my own experiences. And these tell me different things.

As well as people who have already used this wonderful thing.

What is wrong? Just use a mobile phone and you can get extraordinary pictures - nothing wrong here :cool:

Or buy the HTS 1.5 and be happy! Hasselblad needs such folks like you!

Nothing more to add, I have to work!

Last edited:

PeterA

Clearly what we have here is a clash of cultures. -:)

on the hand guys who like equipment to make photos - and guys who like to chase the holy grail - the imaginary perfect optical machine!

mark1958

I have gotten a chance to try mine but not in a way i really would like. I did some close up shots and overall it is pretty simple to use and the data recorded making it simple to remember what one tried when looking back over the captured images. There is a loss of light in the viewfinder making it a bit more difficult for precise focusing. Clearly better than the canon TSE lenses but not as useful as a technical camera-- but much simpler to use. I am going to try to do some landscapes with it this week. M

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Folks,

again, the HTS 1.5 can be a really good tool, if this is what you want. Only because I am not a TC and converter guy does not mean these things are bad.

So I do hope you all like it and use it :thumbup:

eleanorbrown

Mark would love to hear your experiences with the HTS doing landscapes. Thanks, Eleanor

I have gotten a chance to try mine but not in a way i really would like. I did some close up shots and overall it is pretty simple to use and the data recorded making it simple to remember what one tried when looking back over the captured images. There is a loss of light in the viewfinder making it a bit more difficult for precise focusing. Clearly better than the canon TSE lenses but not as useful as a technical camera-- but much simpler to use. I am going to try to do some landscapes with it this week. M

hcubell

Mark would love to hear your experiences with the HTS doing landscapes. Thanks, Eleanor
I cannot give you the benfit of extended testing of the HTS, But I did have the opportunity to test it this weekend with my H3D-39 and the HC28mm lens, both untethered and tethered to a Macbook Pro. The bottom line for me is that it is way too difficult to focus accurately without the assistance of 100% image view on the Macbook, and that's just not realistic for me in the field. The HTS I tried out is owned by a highly skilled architectural photographer who is very happy with it and uses it frequently in his work, but he only shoots with it tethered. Perhaps Hasselblad can come up with some sort of tool for magnifying the image in the viewfinder(or another type of viewfinder) so that you can focus accurately with the HTS.
BTW, when I was done trying the HTS, I put his HC35mm lens on the camera and took two exposures at different focus points and later used Helicon Focus to blend them. I have not had a chance to look real carefully but my initial reaction was that there was excellent sharpness through the whole image, including the corners, which surprised me a bit because the HC35mm lens does not have the best reputation among the HC lenses. For now, I will stick with Helicon Focus. It is an amazing piece of software that is giving me great results in many cases. It can't do everything the HTS can do, but for my work it is the most practical way to get extended DOF.

mark1958

I took it with me to Half Moon Bay a couple of weeks ago when i went shooting with some colleagues. It was raining the whole afternoon so never too it out. I am on my way to Keystone Colorado on Wed and have it packed in my backpack and hope to get a chance to do some shooting during break times at the conference i am attending.
Eleanor thanks for the tips on shooting areas. I have all the information and planning to go through it.

I cannot give you the benfit of extended testing of the HTS, But I did have the opportunity to test it this weekend with my H3D-39 and the HC28mm lens, both untethered and tethered to a Macbook Pro. The bottom line for me is that it is way too difficult to focus accurately without the assistance of 100% image view on the Macbook, and that's just not realistic for me in the field. The HTS I tried out is owned by a highly skilled architectural photographer who is very happy with it and uses it frequently in his work, but he only shoots with it tethered. Perhaps Hasselblad can come up with some sort of tool for magnifying the image in the viewfinder(or another type of viewfinder) so that you can focus accurately with the HTS.
BTW, when I was done trying the HTS, I put his HC35mm lens on the camera and took two exposures at different focus points and later used Helicon Focus to blend them. I have not had a chance to look real carefully but my initial reaction was that there was excellent sharpness through the whole image, including the corners, which surprised me a bit because the HC35mm lens does not have the best reputation among the HC lenses. For now, I will stick with Helicon Focus. It is an amazing piece of software that is giving me great results in many cases. It can't do everything the HTS can do, but for my work it is the most practical way to get extended DOF.
Hi Howard,

You could try the waist level finder as well. I think it takes a bit of time to tune in to the HTS, but with the HCD28 and the HTS I can get pretty good results with manual focus. I was using a waist level though.

David

I am just using my grey cells for this: you put a lens between the lens and the camera to allow for these adjustment you want to achieve. No matter how good this lens is, it first has to amplify what the original lens produces in order to offer its service.

This cannot be really good quality. Just all my experiences with teleconverters from different brans tell me this.

Better would be a TS lens. Or tech camera.
I have stayed away from this argument as it was well answered by others, but after speaking with the Product Manager a couple of weeks ago I have this to add.

The HTS is optically designed together with the lenses. Not generic lenses but five different lenses that are relatively optically similar. Performance is not degraded measurably.

Better would be a tech camera yes, but also consider usability in the field.

I understand that you do not like converters (absolutely fair enough) but to say 'This cannot be really good quality' without using the HTS is unfair.

If I showed you an image with the 28mm and the HTS, there would be no clue in the image if it was with or without the HTS.

Thanks!

David

mark1958

David. I agree with you that when focus is spot on-- the images are outstanding. Sometimes i do have trouble but that is usually only when the iight is not optimal. I should have brought my level waist finder on this trip. I admit I have not tried the HTS with the level waist finder.

hcubell

Hi Howard,

You could try the waist level finder as well. I think it takes a bit of time to tune in to the HTS, but with the HCD28 and the HTS I can get pretty good results with manual focus. I was using a waist level though.

David
Interesting, David. I wonder if the use of the waist level finder would facilitate the use of some sort of magnifying device. I know someone who has investigated a variety of such devices fro his Mamiya AFD III.

mark1958

Regardless the HTS is a great device overall. It is much better than having to buy individual TS lenses. I wish the 120mm macro lens worked on the HTS but nonetheless-- great idea and well executed.

eleanorbrown

Mark How does the HTS handle high frequency detail such as grasses, branches, etc. have you done any comparisons at say 100% of files done with the HTS against a file without the HTS...ie: just the lens, to get an idea about any possible loss of resolution with the HTS. Eleanor

Regardless the HTS is a great device overall. It is much better than having to buy individual TS lenses. I wish the 120mm macro lens worked on the HTS but nonetheless-- great idea and well executed.

mark1958

I did some still life flower shots with small leaves and my opinion (although I did not keep extremely controlled comparison files) at this point there is very little loss of detail but I really need to do some testing in the field, which I will do this week. So i cannot say anything definitive yet.

Mark How does the HTS handle high frequency detail such as grasses, branches, etc. have you done any comparisons at say 100% of files done with the HTS against a file without the HTS...ie: just the lens, to get an idea about any possible loss of resolution with the HTS. Eleanor