The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Has anyone seen or tried an HTS 1.5?

eleanorbrown

David I'm assuming that with the HTS on my H2 camera and Phase back I will have use of the auto metering system when zeroed, is this correct? also will my H2 LCD on the grip have any read out as to settings of the HTS or not? (just got the camera back from NJ yesterday updated with firmware.) thanks! Eleanor

When you reach a certain level of tilt/shift the metering will automatically lock as it is then impossible to get an accurate reading. So either meter at 0 settings or verify with the histogram.

The LCD will output HTS settings yes, but you will not get the benefit of these settings in the file meta data.

David

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Hmmm . . . . started this thread three months ago hoping that someone would post center and edge crops with and without, and maybe an edge crop shifted 10mm. It doesn't have to be fine art - a neighbor's garage will do fine.

Is there anyone who has or has access to an HTS 1.5 and is willing to take this on?

Hi Woody,

I thought I had already done that but seems it was over on Loony Landscape.

Apologies, and here are the shots..

Zero'd

Top Left @ 18mm Shift

Top Right @ 18mm Shift

Bottom Right @ 18mm Shift

Bottom Left @ 18mm Shift

A three way stitch so you can see coverage compared to the first centre shot...

Enough?

David

eleanorbrown

OK I took the plunge and got the HTS and am learning to use it on my H2 with P45+ back. I've only had it a couple of days but bottom line is that quality is excellent and getting accurate focus on the edges of the frame involves a learning curve. You need good vision, your camera eyepiece set correctly and something with contrast to focus on. If you have these, focusing in reasonable low light is possible...sometimes challenging no doubt, but possible. Eleanor

Last edited:

woodyspedden

Eleanor

I love what the system was able to achieve with these two shots. Particularly the shot of the water at long exposure with the foreground in focus is impressive. Very Very nice

Woody

eleanorbrown

Thanks Woody. I'm getting the hang of using this device and what I like is that it works with 4 of my lenses and works well. (I really like having the option to use normal and short telephoto lenses with movements)... the whole key is to get the focusing correct, which I mentioned can at times be challenging. It allows me to make images I never could have made otherwise. I've had three 4X5 cameras in the past with film use along with a hasselblad Flexbody. This HTS allows me to carry only one system that has many options and uses...anything from hand held quick shooting to landscapes on tripod with movements. I don't need to carry an extra tech camera for use with my Phase back. eleanor

eleanorbrown

Here is one of my first attempts, other than the initial testing inside my house. This is NOT meant to be a pretty or interesting image, only an exercise in using the HTS. This one done with the 80mm lens which ends up being about a 120. Keep in mind this is not a scientific study....the water was moving, there was a breeze, but even so I was impressed with the resolution top to bottom. First image was the entire frame and only sharpening used at all was the "pre sharpen #1" in Capture One. no other sharpening was done. Same with the next two images, one of the left edge and one of the right corner. (the images of the edge and corner at at 100%) Eleanor

Last edited: