The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One XF Hand Strap revisited

It's been raining for ages here in SoCal and I've finally gotten to some small projects around the office. Project 43, annoying hand strap on XF. I generally don't like camera straps and my camera is mostly on a tripod. When I do handhold I like it to be secure in my hand. I tried the Spider Pro strap ( The SpiderPro Hand Strap | Spider Camera Holster ) but it dug into my hand and covered the battery compartment. I think it was made for a smaller camera. I found a padded hand strap that came with my Canon C100 mkII put it with a camping strap. Voilà, a proper sized hand strap. (Side note: Often times I have to wear gloves as part of my PPE to be onsite so that's why I'm showing it with gloves.)

It's shame the Phase One can engineer such an incredible machine but can not create a hand strap for their XF camera. Make one and we'll buy it.

IMG_5057.jpgIMG_5501.jpgIMG_5502.jpg

Peace,

kdphotography

I think the problem is that a camera strap and a hand/wrist strap can be so subjectively personal in terms of use and fit. It's like trying to design a pair of shoes that not only fits everyone, but they also like the style and finish. So far with the XF body, I've only found the Peak Design strap to be "okay" and this is from someone who just doesn't like camera neck straps because they "get in the way" and particularly with the Phase XF body reminds me of dangling the weight of a small dumbbell around my neck. I've since set my Peak Design camera strap aside and will probably sell it. PM me if anyone is interested.

I purchased the SpiderPro hand strap and my experience is a bit better than Weldon's. The Phase XF lugs really don't fit the top hand strap piece that is inserted in the lug/strap loophole. I don't like having to trim that piece down in order to attach the hand strap. I'm not sure how robust or strong that "thin but extremely durable material" is that Spider Pro uses to connect the bottom of the handstrap to the camera body---I try not think about it. :rolleyes: That being said, the strap fits my hand well. With my installation, the SPider Pro handstrap does not block the battery door. It is comfortable and probably the best strap I've used (so far). We'll see how well it holds up over time.

Ken

Transposure

I have been using the SpiderPro handstrap for almost the entire time that I have owned the XF. And sidenote, I NEVER use handstraps or neckstraps. I have used each generation of Canon 1 series camera and the Phase One DF, DF+ and now the XF and this is the first time I have chosen to use a strap of any kind.
Due to the "price of goods" in my hand with the XF+back+lens, I wanted to have "something" to add a second layer of drop protection, besides my physical gripping abilities. LOL I shoot people primarily and I am running around, standing, sitting, laying on the floor, inside the studio, outside, on ladders, etc. Basically, NOT on a tripod. So, relying on my grip has been my only defense against a catastrophe.
I met the owner of SpiderPro a while back when he invented the SpiderPro holster (a very cool device that I also own). He is very passionate about his inventions. When he came out with the SpiderPro handstrap and I saw it in person, it seemed to fit the bill. My main attraction to it was the shape and ease of getting my hand in and out. With my XF in the case, with the grip facing up, I reach in and grab the grip, with my hand inside the strap without even thinking about it.

I originally posted here about this strap and explained that the plastic "lug" had to be trimmed to fit in the XF slots.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-...andstrap-phase-one-xf.html?highlight=xf+strap

I have checked the lug over time and it has not shown any signs of weakness. I am not worried.

IMG_4339_small.jpg

Chipcarterdc

Question for Ken:

I just watched the installation video for this strap (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gF4VuYNNYeA)

Question: does the plastic lug that you describe trimming in order to get it to fit through the strap receptors on the XF body actually *do* anything? That is, from looking at the installation video, it looks like it does not and that all the "work" of securing the strap to the body is being done by the strap webbing that slides into the receptor. So I'm thinking why both trimming the plastic lug to get it through? Why not just slide the strap webbing itself through and leave the plastic lug "dangling" outside of the receptor hole?

Does that make sense? Or is the plastic lug in fact doing something that makes the strap more secure but that isn't readily apparent from watching the installation video?

I have been using the SpiderPro handstrap for almost the entire time that I have owned the XF. And sidenote, I NEVER use handstraps or neckstraps. I have used each generation of Canon 1 series camera and the Phase One DF, DF+ and now the XF and this is the first time I have chosen to use a strap of any kind.
Due to the "price of goods" in my hand with the XF+back+lens, I wanted to have "something" to add a second layer of drop protection, besides my physical gripping abilities. LOL I shoot people primarily and I am running around, standing, sitting, laying on the floor, inside the studio, outside, on ladders, etc. Basically, NOT on a tripod. So, relying on my grip has been my only defense against a catastrophe.
I met the owner of SpiderPro a while back when he invented the SpiderPro holster (a very cool device that I also own). He is very passionate about his inventions. When he came out with the SpiderPro handstrap and I saw it in person, it seemed to fit the bill. My main attraction to it was the shape and ease of getting my hand in and out. With my XF in the case, with the grip facing up, I reach in and grab the grip, with my hand inside the strap without even thinking about it.

I originally posted here about this strap and explained that the plastic "lug" had to be trimmed to fit in the XF slots.

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-...andstrap-phase-one-xf.html?highlight=xf+strap

I have checked the lug over time and it has not shown any signs of weakness. I am not worried.

View attachment 124699

Transposure

Question for Ken:

I just watched the installation video for this strap (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gF4VuYNNYeA)

Question: does the plastic lug that you describe trimming in order to get it to fit through the strap receptors on the XF body actually *do* anything? That is, from looking at the installation video, it looks like it does not and that all the "work" of securing the strap to the body is being done by the strap webbing that slides into the receptor. So I'm thinking why both trimming the plastic lug to get it through? Why not just slide the strap webbing itself through and leave the plastic lug "dangling" outside of the receptor hole?

Does that make sense? Or is the plastic lug in fact doing something that makes the strap more secure but that isn't readily apparent from watching the installation video?

Your question makes perfect sense and I would say you are 100% correct. My belief with the plastic piece is to maintain the open position and "attitude" of the strap, thus allowing your hand to always easily slide through. I noticed after my "mod" with clippers, that the actual strap that is tightened, draws the handstrap into a nice "ready" position and that is why I chose to mod it to suit.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Chipcarterdc

Cool, thanks. Think I'll give it a whirl...

Your question makes good sense and I would say you are 100% correct. My believe with the plastic piece is to maintain the open position and "attitude" of the strap, thus allowing your hand to always easily slide through. I noticed after my "mod" with clippers, that the actual strap that is tightened, draws the handstrap into a nice "ready" position and that is why I chose to mod it to suit.
Hope that helps.

cunim

A bit off topic, but I just tried this strap with the DF+. Previously, I was using the Camadapter strap. The leather part of that strap did not meet the ferrule on top of the camera body. Instead, about an inch of webbing was exposed at the top of the strap and that was quite uncomfortable as it put pressure on the knuckle of the first finger.

I have now installed the Spiderpro and that curves across the top of the strap to meet the ferrule. In other words, my hand is under a soft material all the way around. Much better.

Attachments

Chipcarterdc

For what it's worth:

I bought the SpiderPro handstrap and installed on my XF body. Works great, and really improves stability and reduces grip fatigue.

As to the plastic "lug": I trimmed it down and threaded it thru as described by Ken below. It didn't really seem to be doing anything to improve the security of the connection: it doesn't connect to anything, and the strap seems plenty secure so far just using the strap webbing. So I cut the plastic lug off entirely.

(Time may prove me wrong: maybe the plastic lug does improve security in some way that won't be apparent until the strap comes lose while my hand's in the grip. Hopefully my reflexes will be good enough to catch the camera if that happens! I will say that one thing I *dont* plan to do is carry it around by wrapping my fist around the outside of the handgrip, but it feels plenty secure with my hand *in* the grip: no slippage or loosening of the strap that I can detect.)