The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Firmware for X1D

hcubell

Hasselblad has now released the first firmware update for the X1D. A PDF with the new features is available at the Hasselblad website. Perhaps someone at a computer can paste into a post the new features.

etto72

The only way that I'm currently aware of to set minimum shutter speed is to select shutter priority mode and set the speed. I usually shoot aperture priority, select a maximum ISO (with the new firmware), and let the shutter speed "float". Ideally, I would like to have the ability to set the minimum shutter speed when using Auto ISO rather than have the camera use an algorithm (based on the lens focal length perhaps) to make that determination. There may be others who have explored this question further who can contribute to this thread.

Joe
So there is no way to shoot Aperture mode with Auto ISO and fixing the minim required shutter speed?
My understanding was that it was coming in new firmware :(
could you please tell us what is the default shutter speed the camera choose with the 45 mm and 90mm
Thank you !!!

mkerouac

So there is no way to shoot Aperture mode with Auto ISO and fixing the minim required shutter speed?
My understanding was that it was coming in new firmware :(
could you please tell us what is the default shutter speed the camera choose with the 45 mm and 90mm
Thank you !!!
I can't find a default. It doesn't look like in chases the fastest shutter speed. I set max ISO to 3200. I used A mode in a medium lit room. f3.5 The camera set shutter speed at 1/60th at ISO 1600. Then I pointed to a darker art of the room. Shutter dropped to 1/40th and ISO stayed at 1600. Then i aimed at a lamp. ISO went down to 400, shutter speed only went up to 1/60. Not ideal logic. But I'm sure we will get minimum shutter speed for auto ISO and better logic in a future firmware release.

bernardl

All Hasselblad has to do is to buy a D800/D810 and check how auto-ISO is implemented, it is the best implementation available.
- Availability of auto-ISO in M mode
- In A mode, selection of max ISO, minimum shutter speed
- Possibility to automatially link minimal shutter speed to lens actual focal length (including for zoom lenses) and to bias that with -2/-1/+1/+2 stops

The only thing missing is to take into account the VR availability/activation...

I hope they improve the H6D-100c the same way also.

Cheers,
Bernard

hcubell

All Hasselblad has to do is to buy a D800/D810 and check how auto-ISO is implemented, it is the best implementation available.
- Availability of auto-ISO in M mode
- In A mode, selection of max ISO, minimum shutter speed
- Possibility to automatially link minimal shutter speed to lens actual focal length (including for zoom lenses) and to bias that with -2/-1/+1/+2 stops

The only thing missing is to take into account the VR availability/activation...

I hope they improve the H6D-100c the same way also.

Cheers,
Bernard
Yes, it should not be that difficult to follow Nikon's lead here.

Nebster

I specifically requested Nikon's auto-ISO algorithm in my note to Ove. He didn't acknowledge it, but said the low and high ISO settings are "at least a start." This is the kind of thing that should be pretty easy to add to an FPGA firmware, as opposed to eye tracking or something super computational. If more people request it, I imagine they'll respond.

bernardl

I specifically requested Nikon's auto-ISO algorithm in my note to Ove. He didn't acknowledge it, but said the low and high ISO settings are "at least a start." This is the kind of thing that should be pretty easy to add to an FPGA firmware, as opposed to eye tracking or something super computational. If more people request it, I imagine they'll respond.
Hi believe that Nick has already shared this comment to Hasselblad also. Now some of that algo may be patented, I don't know?

The value of what Nikon did is so great and so obvious that I find it puzzling that not all the other camera manufacturers have followed suit.

Cheers,
Bernard

hcubell

Hi believe that Nick has already shared this comment to Hasselblad also. Now some of that algo may be patented, I don't know?

The value of what Nikon did is so great and so obvious that I find it puzzling that not all the other camera manufacturers have followed suit.

Cheers,
Bernard
I thought Sony had the same basic functionality in the A7rII.

Until they get that implemented, can't you just shoot in manual and set your aperture and shutter speed and let the ISO float? I know it's not exactly what you are asking for, but it's hopefully close enough for now. While it may seem easy to do, I'm sure they were trying to get this firmware version out ASAP. I'm more disappointed that the XH adapter won't have aF implemented from the start, but glad they are releasing firmware as things are available, instead of waiting for everything at once. The peaking will really help in manual focus as a guide to which direction you are going and what's in focus.

hcubell

Until they get that implemented, can't you just shoot in manual and set your aperture and shutter speed and let the ISO float? I know it's not exactly what you are asking for, but it's hopefully close enough for now. While it may seem easy to do, I'm sure they were trying to get this firmware version out ASAP. I'm more disappointed that the XH adapter won't have aF implemented from the start, but glad they are releasing firmware as things are available, instead of waiting for everything at once. The peaking will really help in manual focus as a guide to which direction you are going and what's in focus.
1. The Auto ISO only appears to work when the camera is set to a fully automatic mode where the camera sets its own ideas as to aperture, shutter speed and ISO.
2. Unfortunately, in the menus, you can invoke focus peaking for manual focus OR Live View magnification for manual focus, but not both.

oh, I see that now. I hadn't tried to use it, I just assumed, incorrectly, that it was implemented for all shooting settings. Annoying that it's not.

I also assumed that you can still zoom in with the * button with peaking on, but you can't. I agree that you should have the option to have both at the same time automatically.

I'm also hoping you can assign the buttons to other functions in the future. Like it would be great to use the AEL button as the zoom in to check focus and to hold down for the AF points to come up.