The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX and Capture One

Steve Hendrix

Theodoros surely you're not suggesting that Sony would force Phase One to support their Cameras? Maybe they'll threaten Nikon to prevent them releasing a new camera too?

Oh ... Theodoros? I should have guessed.

Thanks Nick!

Steve Hendrix/CI

hcubell

"Breathlessly spread the rumor"?

**** you.

I posted here. That was it.

I actually made the effort to check what the source of the story was for the two other people reporting it. No-one else did. No-one else could be bothered.

I'm not a journalist. I'm not a reporter. I'm just a vaguely anonymous guy who was at an event because he's interested in MF and shared what he heard.

When it seemed that all sources were leading back to what I reported was said here, I questioned them.

Don't you ****ing dare question my integrity you sack of ****.
You should try to get a grip. I never questioned your integrity. I don't know anything about your integrity. I do question your judgment in reporting as fact an off the cuff comment at a launch party for the GFX in Dubai by a relatively low level Fuji guy that the GFX will be supported by Capture One. Here is what you stated:

"Well this is BIG NEWS (emphasis added). I'm at the Fuji launch event for the GFX here in Dubai, and the Fuji representative has just CONFIRMED (emphasis added) that when the GFX is launched, it will be supported in Capture One."

Given the consistent statements from Phase over the past couple of months that they would NOT support the GFX or any other competitor's medium format systems in Capture One, I think I would have taken the off the cuff remark in Dubai with a grain of salt and thought twice before announcing publicly that FUJI has CONFIRMED something as significant as Capture One support for the GFX (i.e., BIG NEWS in your words).

Puma Cat

The person at Gulf Photo Plus Dubai who told Zach Arias that the GFX would have Capture One support in response to gerald.d's question was Francois Koumyoujian, Fujifilm Product Manager, Electronic Imaging Products, Fujifilm Middle East. Given that this information came directly from a Fujifilm GFX product manager, does lend it at least some level of veracity, I would think. I certainly hope it proves to be true, and would not be too surprised if it was.

dnercesian

While I find it interesting that someone from Fuji said this, I have to say that this isn't really a call I would put stock in because typically raw compatibility announcements are made by the software manufacturer rather than the camera manufacturer, and I have seen camera reps make false statements way too many times, not that they were attempting to deceive, but because they simply assumed incorrectly.

Nothing to fight about guys. We'll all know the truth soon enough. In any event, after trying out the GFX, it was a pass for me. Even though the lighter and more compact platform is somewhat appealing, I think I would much rather shoot the XF for pro work.

tjv

Remember when Phase One announced a distribution and service partnership with Leica? Was it at Photokina when the S2 was first announced? There was a pretty quick u-turn on that one!

Puma Cat

While I find it interesting that someone from Fuji said this, I have to say that this isn't really a call I would put stock in because typically raw compatibility announcements are made by the software manufacturer rather than the camera manufacturer, and I have seen camera reps make false statements way too many times, not that they were attempting to deceive, but because they simply assumed incorrectly.

Nothing to fight about guys. We'll all know the truth soon enough. In any event, after trying out the GFX, it was a pass for me. Even though the lighter and more compact platform is somewhat appealing, I think I would much rather shoot the XF for pro work.
I've sent a message to Fujifilm Middle East's FB page (where Francois Koumyoujian works) to see if we can get a confirmation. We shall see.

I just left a meeting with a Fujifilm UK representative where I had the chance to have a play with the GFX, and the last question I asked him was regarding Capture One.

Unfortunately, he said it is not true that Capture One will support the GFX RAW files, and the Fuji rep in Dubai should not have said this.

I just left a meeting with a Fujifilm UK representative where I had the chance to have a play with the GFX, and the last question I asked him was regarding Capture One.

Unfortunately, he said it is not true that Capture One will support the GFX RAW files, and the Fuji rep in Dubai should not have said this.
That's too bad. Coming from the DSLR side, I was about to invest in their software for the first time. I would think they would want to draw folks from outside the MF world into their software and perhaps we would eventually want their hardware as well.

stephengilbert

What I can't understand is why fans of a brand feel the need to enter discussions about other brands. And worse, tend to denigrate people like Doug, who admits his biases.

There are several posters who use Phase gear, yet rarely do we see this sort of thing on Hasselblad or Fuji threads.

Why do you think that is, Howard?

That's too bad. Coming from the DSLR side, I was about to invest in their software for the first time. I would think they would want to draw folks from outside the MF world into their software and perhaps we would eventually want their hardware as well.
Maybe they are having discussions about it, but this guy jumped the gun? I am just speculating now. My contact did not say and I did not ask. I don't use C1 :)

Paul2660

I for one don't blame Gerald at all. He was at a presentation, the subject came up and a Fuji Rep gave the answer. If I had been there I would reported the same. The flack that has followed is what I feel is reproachful. To the point that some folks are close to calling Gerald a lier. This reminds of the current mess in US politics. Gerald has been a great contributor to this site and I have often used his information for consideration when making a purchase.

There is no doubt that the comments that Gerald reported are real, it's in the video. watch it.

Should the subject have been handled differently, yes. If Fuji is working on a P1 C1 solution that is not been announced, that is the way it should have stayed. The camera is supposed to ship on the 1 of March. I have reservations on that, since currently no one is working yet with RAW files and we are real close to the 1st. It's also irresponsible of other photographers most likely under a NDA to mention "they" know C1 will be supported. It's up to Phase One to make that announcement or P1 and Fuji together.

It's a bit tragic if a marketing rep who has heard rumblings of a possible C1-GFX solution choose to go public. As that could have the adverse effect with P1. For sure, Fuji needs something in the way of software. Their current solution of using a dumbed down (very very dumbed down) version of Silkypix for the X-trans cameras is a joke. That is the worse piece of software I have used in years. Fuji has also been quite content to let Adobe keep using their less than ideal X-trans raw conversion. There has been plenty written on that. And that should have been the first thing that Fuji address years ago. So knowing that C1 has an excellent raw conversion for the X-trans, it's only makes sense that Fuji would attempt to work closer with P1 and C1 on the GFX, especially for the studio shooter when you consider the excellent tethering that C1 offers.

The camera is supposed to ship early March, odds are if C1 support is coming, we will all know by then. If C1 holds off, Oh Well, there will always be other software out there to use.

Paul Caldwell

hcubell

What I can't understand is why fans of a brand feel the need to enter discussions about other brands. And worse, tend to denigrate people like Doug, who admits his biases.

There are several posters who use Phase gear, yet rarely do we see this sort of thing on Hasselblad or Fuji threads.

Why do you think that is, Howard?
I have no idea why you are asking me. I use whatever works best for me. I am not a fan of any brand. I am totally brand agnostic. I am loyal to people, not camera companies. I don't hang out in camera specific forums that cover cameras I don't own or or that I am not seriously considering buying. I have zero interest in trying to convince others that my choices are right for anyone other than me. I make up my own mind as to what works best for me by actually using equipment. I have a Hasselblad H2 that I use with a Phase IQ180. I use a Sony A7RII. I now have a Hasselblad X1D. I have a Fuji GFX on order. Depending upon what I find after working with the GFX, I may keep it and sell the X1D, or vice versa.
I assume you feel the same.
As for Doug, he is a great resource here and I have the utmost respect for him. Has he made several snarky remarks about Hasselblad? Sure, but that hasn't change my opinion of him.

hcubell

Maybe they are having discussions about it, but this guy jumped the gun? I am just speculating now. My contact did not say and I did not ask. I don't use C1 :)
I do use C1 for my Phase One files and my Sony A7RII files. It is my preferred raw conversion software today. I also would be thrilled for Phase to open it up for Hasselblad and Fuji, but I don't think it's going to happen. The comments from Phase on the subject have been very consistent.

kdphotography

Gerald----please cool your heels a bit. I don't think you've done anything that would warrant banning from the GetDPI family. You are a valuable contributor and I'd hate to see you leave.

:) ken

Steve Hendrix

Gerald----please cool your heels a bit. I don't think you've done anything that would warrant banning from the GetDPI family. You are a valuable contributor and I'd hate to see you leave.

I agree - Gerald's contributions are valuable and it would be a shame if he departed.

In using colorful terms like "flackie at a dog and pony show", I wasn't intending to incite Gerald, and I'm sorry if he took it that way.

I don't know if saying "an executive at the opening" would have produced a different reaction. Being the messenger on a public forum can be quite an experience. Believe me, I've lost count of the times I've posted something and then couldn't sleep that night wondering if what I wrote was stupid, insensitive, overbearing, or just plain incorrect. All out there for eternity for everyone to see forever. It's somewhat nerve wracking, yes?

If he is leaving because he feels called out for posting shaky evidence that Phase One will support the GFX - that I really can't help. He made the post after all, it's an open forum, and members have a right to question any post, including this one (... which I'm questioning right now ...).

Steve Hendrix/CI

gerald.d

Really?

Seriously?

"Being called out for posting shaky evidence?"

Christ. It makes me embarrassed to be a Phase One customer.

You try to equate what I have shared with having "posted something and then couldn't sleep that night wondering if what I wrote was stupid, insensitive, overbearing, or just plain incorrect"?

I reported a fact. The fact that the Fuji rep stated C1 would be supporting the GFX.

You try to insinuate what I shared was stupid? Insensitive? Overbearing? Incorrect?

Seriously Steve, take a long hard look at yourself. You waltz in here saying you think it would be a shame if I departed?

Well I'm buggering off because of you. Sanctimonious little ****.

Now go chase down Patrick La Roque who has stated that his source was actually not from the Dubai launch, but from an event in Montreal two weeks ago. And that he followed up to verify.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

It could be that the statement is correct. It happens that things are announced in the background.

I have noticed that B&H has delivery set at and of march for all three lenses they list, so I would guess it takes a few weeks until the camera ships.

I have actually seem a few raw files and I was able to process them in RawTherapee. But there are obviously no colour profiles yet, that may be a reason that Fuji is very restrictive with raw files. No colour profiles means no good colour and that could cause some bad perception about the upcoming camera.

Best regards
Erik

I for one don't blame Gerald at all. He was at a presentation, the subject came up and a Fuji Rep gave the answer. If I had been there I would reported the same. The flack that has followed is what I feel is reproachful. To the point that some folks are close to calling Gerald a lier. This reminds of the current mess in US politics. Gerald has been a great contributor to this site and I have often used his information for consideration when making a purchase.

There is no doubt that the comments that Gerald reported are real, it's in the video. watch it.

Should the subject have been handled differently, yes. If Fuji is working on a P1 C1 solution that is not been announced, that is the way it should have stayed. The camera is supposed to ship on the 1 of March. I have reservations on that, since currently no one is working yet with RAW files and we are real close to the 1st. It's also irresponsible of other photographers most likely under a NDA to mention "they" know C1 will be supported. It's up to Phase One to make that announcement or P1 and Fuji together.

It's a bit tragic if a marketing rep who has heard rumblings of a possible C1-GFX solution choose to go public. As that could have the adverse effect with P1. For sure, Fuji needs something in the way of software. Their current solution of using a dumbed down (very very dumbed down) version of Silkypix for the X-trans cameras is a joke. That is the worse piece of software I have used in years. Fuji has also been quite content to let Adobe keep using their less than ideal X-trans raw conversion. There has been plenty written on that. And that should have been the first thing that Fuji address years ago. So knowing that C1 has an excellent raw conversion for the X-trans, it's only makes sense that Fuji would attempt to work closer with P1 and C1 on the GFX, especially for the studio shooter when you consider the excellent tethering that C1 offers.

The camera is supposed to ship early March, odds are if C1 support is coming, we will all know by then. If C1 holds off, Oh Well, there will always be other software out there to use.

Paul Caldwell

hcubell

I have different standards, I guess. I do NOT think it is appropriate to say "F... you" to another poster or call him "a sack of S..T." These kinds of comments are out of line under any circumstances, but I hardly think questioning someone about the accuracy of a rumor and describing the repeated "stories" I have read about C1 supporting GFX files as like Elvis sightings merits such a crude and vitriolic response.

Steve Hendrix

Really?

Seriously?

"Being called out for posting shaky evidence?"

Christ. It makes me embarrassed to be a Phase One customer.

You try to equate what I have shared with having "posted something and then couldn't sleep that night wondering if what I wrote was stupid, insensitive, overbearing, or just plain incorrect"?

I reported a fact. The fact that the Fuji rep stated C1 would be supporting the GFX.

You try to insinuate what I shared was stupid? Insensitive? Overbearing? Incorrect?

Seriously Steve, take a long hard look at yourself. You waltz in here saying you think it would be a shame if I departed?

Well I'm buggering off because of you. Sanctimonious little ****.

Now go chase down Patrick La Roque who has stated that his source was actually not from the Dubai launch, but from an event in Montreal two weeks ago. And that he followed up to verify.

No Gerald, I was trying to think of why someone would react so violently as you have to this thread, and sharing of my own personal second guessing in my posts througtout my time on GetDPI, which have nothing to do with your posts.

I can't seem to write anything without you being offended, and I feel like your offense obfuscates the fact that your post was presented yes, as a Fact, and yes, as Big News, and yes, Confirmation. All this was said by you, and the fact that anyone should challenge this seems like the biggest insult to you. Well, I'm sorry you feel so insulted if I don't agree that your factual post confirms anything.

I'm not here to drive anyone off, but I'm also not here to be attacked by you.

Steve Hendrix/CI