The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX and Capture One

gerald.d

Well this is big news.

I'm at the Fuji launch event for the GFX here in Dubai, and the Fuji representative has just confirmed that when the GFX is launched, it will be supported in Capture One.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

2WK

Wow, that is good news for Fuji fans. I wonder why Pentax wasn't able to arrange such a deal.

k-hawinkler

Well this is big news.

I'm at the Fuji launch event for the GFX here in Dubai, and the Fuji representative has just confirmed that when the GFX is launched, it will be supported in Capture One.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :salute:

Paul2660

I will still be surprised if it happens, but if it does that is I agree great news.

Phase One does an excellent job with the current X-trans raw files and if they give tethering support, well things will be really nice indeed.

Paul Caldwell

hcubell

Doug Peterson will know if this is true. Doug?
What makes me skeptical is that a launch event in Dubai is a strange place to "announce" such important news. Fuji is a very buttoned up company that likes to control the release of information.

hcubell

Wow, that is good news for Fuji fans. I wonder why Pentax wasn't able to arrange such a deal.
If it's true, it is all about money. The current owner of Phase is a private equity firm that is either half way out the door or is working to that end. Perhaps they calculated that the additional revenue from the new buyers of Capture One plus any money paid by Fuji to "sweeten" the pot for Phase was worth much more than the potential loss of camera sales to the GFX. Phase may be more focused than ever on moving up market to premium priced products like a back with a new Sony sensor offering 150MP+.

gerald.d

Doug Peterson will know if this is true. Doug?
What makes me skeptical is that a launch event in Dubai is a strange place to "announce" such important news. Fuji is a very buttoned up company that likes to control the release of information.
It wasn't a planned announcement.

At the end of a presentation given by Zack Arias, I asked him whether he would miss Capture One if he moved from Phase One to Fuji. He said he didn't know whether the GFX would be supported, and looked at the Fuji guys. They said that it would be supported when the camera is released. I challenged it, they confirmed.

Oh, and for what it's worth, plenty of things get announced here.

gerald.d

So basically Capture One will support every camera manufacturer that isn't Hasselblad. :rolleyes:
If what was said this evening was true, then from a competitive standpoint it could actually make a lot of sense.

I had a brief play with the GFX yesterday - I really should spend a little more time with it, perhaps I'll go back later in the week and dig a little deeper - but this camera is a game changer, and from what I've read here regarding the X1D, it's going to get blown out of the water.

hcubell

It wasn't a planned announcement.

At the end of a presentation given by Zack Arias, I asked him whether he would miss Capture One if he moved from Phase One to Fuji. He said he didn't know whether the GFX would be supported, and looked at the Fuji guys. They said that it would be supported when the camera is released. I challenged it, they confirmed.

Oh, and for what it's worth, plenty of things get announced here.
The strange thing is not that it was announced in Dubai, it is that it was apparently just a statement in response to a random question at a pre-launch event in Dubai. One would expect such an announcement to be made with a bit more fanfare. We shall see. If true, it is excellent news.

hcubell

If what was said this evening was true, then from a competitive standpoint it could actually make a lot of sense.

I had a brief play with the GFX yesterday - I really should spend a little more time with it, perhaps I'll go back later in the week and dig a little deeper - but this camera is a game changer, and from what I've read here regarding the X1D, it's going to get blown out of the water.
The first rule for evaluating camera systems based upon what you read on the internet is....don't. Of course, if you are just looking to have preconceived notions supported, it's great, because there is an opinion on just about everything on the internet, with most of it based upon anecdote rather than first hand experience.

gerald.d

The first rule for evaluating camera systems based upon what you read on the internet is....don't. Of course, if you are just looking to have preconceived notions supported, it's great, because there is an opinion on just about everything on the internet, with most of it based upon anecdote rather than first hand experience.
Not sure what point you are trying to make here, but it flew right over my head.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I guess that it may mean that Fujifilm made an arrangement with Phase One. Sony seems to have some arrangement with Phase One, too, so there are some licensing options from Phase One for Sony. Good news for Capture One fans, no doubt.

Best regards
Erik

Not sure what point you are trying to make here, but it flew right over my head.

hcubell

...and from what I've read here regarding the X1D, [the X1D] is going to get blown out of the water.
The first rule for evaluating camera systems based upon what you read on the internet is....don't. Of course, if you are just looking to have preconceived notions supported, it's great, because there is an opinion on just about everything on the internet, with 99.9% of it based upon anecdote rather than first hand experience.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I used to download the manuals and read before making any order. The internet is a great place for information and much of that information is first hand. But you need to check the credibility of your sources.

What we can see right now is that it seems to be some indication that Capture One will have some support for the GFX. My guess is that there is a commercial deal between Fujifilm and Phase One, and that would be a good thing for Capture One users, as that would mean good support and not just some kind of support.

On the other hand, we have seen some good postings indicating that Lightroom delivers results that are very close to Phocus with the X1D. That may indicate that a vendor cooperating with Adobe can offer excellent processing options with Lightroom.

Best regards
Erik

The first rule for evaluating camera systems based upon what you read on the internet is....don't. Of course, if you are just looking to have preconceived notions supported, it's great, because there is an opinion on just about everything on the internet, with 99.9% of it based upon anecdote rather than first hand experience.

drevil

Staff member
4 hours since starting the thread and no denial from doug, must be true then.
In the commercials by fuji you could see the guys working with c1 anyway.

Why should they be editing jpgs on c1
It was supported from the get go, the denial from phase was just a nda, for whatever reason

hcubell

4 hours since starting the thread and no denial from doug, must be true then.
In the commercials by fuji you could see the guys working with c1 anyway.

Why should they be editing jpgs on c1
It was supported from the get go, the denial from phase was just a nda, for whatever reason
Why would they be editing JPEGs in C1? Well, Fuji has a thing about JPEGs, and apparently a very significant percentage of Fuji shooters shoot JPEGs. Moreover, nobody has been permitted to shoot raws with the GFX cameras. Perhaps that's because there is no support as of now in any software for Fuji raw files. With the GFX hitting the streets in two weeks, what software is going to provide immediate support for the raw files?

I assume Doug is trying to track down the rumor at Phase One as we speak. If the rumor is true, it would be great if it reverses Phase's policy for other competitive MF cameras as well, and Phase supports Leica, Pentax and Hasselblad files in Capture One. Of course, there is support and there is SUPPORT.