The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX and Capture One

Paul2660

Actually I will be very surprised if Iridient did not have raw support by the 1st, it may already be in beta with some folks. LR also more than likely will have it out in a dot release. I give Hasselblad credit as they had Adobe support months before any of the X1D bodies shipped.

C1 tends to be the last to get the support for any new camera, but they also seem to get it right.

Fingers crossed that Phase will allow the raw support for the GFX!!

Paul Caldwell

drevil

Staff member
Why would they be editing JPEGs in C1?

it was one guess when we saw those commercials by fuji and saw the guys editing GFX images on capture one, of course, what sense would it make to edit JPG on a RAW editor/converter

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Even though I have moved 70,000 files to LR, I would go back to C1 today if it supported the Leica S. but this is about Fuji. Sorry for the :OT:

Matt

hcubell

it was one guess when we saw those commercials by fuji and saw the guys editing GFX images on capture one, of course, what sense would it make to edit JPG on a RAW editor/converter

Fuji has been doing a number of launch events around the world. Were the photographers who attended allowed to shoot raw files to their own cards?

jduncan

If what was said this evening was true, then from a competitive standpoint it could actually make a lot of sense.

I had a brief play with the GFX yesterday - I really should spend a little more time with it, perhaps I'll go back later in the week and dig a little deeper - but this camera is a game changer, and from what I've read here regarding the X1D, it's going to get blown out of the water.
Could not agree more:
1. Good for fuji and fuji users that like Capture One.
2. More money to Phase One.
3. Phase One gets to control the image quality of the GFX
4. It undermines the X1D a little bit.

Let hope it materializes. I left Capture One long time ago, but I used to love it. It's a very good software.

Best regards,

tjv

So "open system" now means "only closed to a few competitors we are scared of or don't like?"

I have no problem wit LR, but C1 is good for my Leaf files. Just lacks a few features I appreciate.

Nick-T

So "open system" now means "only closed to a few competitors we are scared of or don't like?"
It's important to note that Phase is an open system. That means you can use Hasselblad backs on Phase bodies and process X1D files in the excellent C1. This is why Phase have been complaining about Hasselblad closing their system for so long.

Oh wait.

I don't know why Phase doesn't just raise the price of Capture 1 for other medium format cameras. People who want it will pay it, they make more money, everyone is happy.

Qamaro

I normally don't comment on these threads but been finding some of the comments too funny not to respond. If C1 is available for the GFX then that is great news.

In terms of why Phase One just doesn't support everything and charge more is probably for the same reasons Apple's OSX doesn't natively support NTFS and Microsofts Windows 10 doesn't support HFS+, its because control allows a measure of strategic advantage. This happens ALL the time in the software industry in particular where a piece of software has a dominant position. The money angle isn't always as simple as it looks.

As folks have noted people speak with their money and can choose alternatives just like the case outline above about OS software. I can choose to move to Linux which would allow me to read both or purchase a utility (other piece of software) to add this feature. To get upset with MS or Apple for not including the feature vs charging me more to include it.... it would be nice but it's not going to happen.

In terms of the comment on Phase One's "Open System" the system I'm sure they're referring too is the MFDB itself not CaptureOne. Didn't see that as a selling point in any of their marketing.... in fact there is a link on the CaptureOne website to see supported cameras.

Sorry for getting a little off topic.. now back to your regularly scheduled program :thumbs:

gerald.d

FWIW, it seems this is being reported from multiple sources -

Patrick Laroque's blog - http://www.laroquephoto.com/blog/2017/2/14/gfx50s-first-impressions

And from Fujirumors - http://www.fujirumors.com/breaking-...-fujifilm-gfx-fujifilm-gfx-first-impressions/ - apparently also from a comment on a closed Facebook Group dedicated to the GFX.

Possibly both of the above actually sourced from here, but I suspect we will have absolute facts very quickly now. Within a matter of hours the major photography blogs will pick up on it.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Iktinos

Not Available
With Sony being the only supplier of sensors around, one can't help to think that they can enforce any software support that would help increase the sales of their sensors to high volumes.

Last edited:

DB5

Wow, this is a big deal! The GFX is shaping up to be a landmark disruptive design. I can't help but feel it's going to bring about the end of the 35mm camera in at least some of the market.

chrismuc

If what was said this evening was true, then from a competitive standpoint it could actually make a lot of sense.

I had a brief play with the GFX yesterday - I really should spend a little more time with it, perhaps I'll go back later in the week and dig a little deeper - but this camera is a game changer, and from what I've read here regarding the X1D, it's going to get blown out of the water.
Gerald, please a quick report about your GFX likes and dislikes, curious to hear:)
Thx, Chris

ejpeiker

With C1P support, now I just need a Phase/Mamiya mount adapter with electronic aperture control for the GFX and the GFX would become the backup to my XF system. I hate not having a MF backup but rather having to use a 35mm camera with a separate lens set as a backup.

gerald.d

FWIW, it seems this is being reported from multiple sources -

Patrick Laroque's blog - http://www.laroquephoto.com/blog/2017/2/14/gfx50s-first-impressions

And from Fujirumors - http://www.fujirumors.com/breaking-...-fujifilm-gfx-fujifilm-gfx-first-impressions/ - apparently also from a comment on a closed Facebook Group dedicated to the GFX.

Possibly both of the above actually sourced from here, but I suspect we will have absolute facts very quickly now. Within a matter of hours the major photography blogs will pick up on it.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Just to follow up on this, I am now in the closed group on Facebook, and the source for the relevant post was this thread.

I asked Patrick La Roque what his source was, and he was rather coy in his answer, saying "It was mentioned during a public briefing on the new system. For the record, I was very surprised to hear this (given the history with Pentax) and followed up. Time will tell of course."

So it seems very likely that there is still just a single source for this information.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

hcubell

Here's an exclusive for GetDPI...

The event was live-streamed. Jump to 47 minutes into this video to hear my question, Zack's response, and this exact quote from Fuji -

"So on the release date of GFX after it soon the Capture One will support the GFX"

I missed the "after it soon" bit.

https://www.facebook.com/fujifilmme/videos/1435676683142941/

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Please let us know when someone from Phase One confirms it.

hcubell

Well, the story about Capture One support for the Fuji GFX appears to be like those Elvis sightings. I have it on pretty good authority that it's just not true. Too bad. It was a nice fantasy while it lasted. Unfortunately, it may be that way with a number of things with the GFX. When something looks too good to be true from a distance, it usually is.

gerald.d

Well, the story about Capture One support for the Fuji GFX appears to be like those Elvis sightings. I have it on pretty good authority that it's just not true. Too bad. It was a nice fantasy while it lasted. Unfortunately, it may be that way with a number of things with the GFX. When something looks too good to be true from a distance, it usually is.
In what way is it "like those Elvis sightings"?

What other "things" do you think might also resemble Elvis sightings when it comes to the GFX?

/Edit
And with regards to your "having it on good authority", I have at least provided video evidence of a Fuji representative making the claim.

Perhaps your "good authority" would step up to the camera too?

Personally, I have my doubts about what was said at the launch here. I'm simply relaying what was said in a public arena.

You seem to have some skin in this game with your relentless FUD thrown at the Fuji. Just what is it you have to lose?

Last edited:

hcubell

In what way is it "like those Elvis sightings"?

What other "things" do you think might also resemble Elvis sightings when it comes to the GFX?

/Edit
And with regards to your "having it on good authority", I have at least provided video evidence of a Fuji representative making the claim.

Perhaps your "good authority" would step up to the camera too?

Personally, I have my doubts about what was said at the launch here. I'm simply relaying what was said in a public arena.

You seem to have some skin in this game with your relentless FUD thrown at the Fuji. Just what is it you have to lose?
I have totally lost count of the number of times over the past 6 months that I have read that Capture One would support the GFX raw files, all with the same degree of factual support as Elvis sightings. This is what happens during the honeymoon phase when a new camera system is announced and before it is released. Everyone wants it to be perfect so they convince themselves that it will be perfect. Capture One support is part of that fantasy.
Your initial report here that Fuji "announced" that Capture One would support the GFX files in Dubai was not hedged, and it was repeated at LuLa, and then others picked it up as fact. Later, you went back and revisited what was actually said. That sounded like a lot more hearsay to me than statement based upon direct knowledge.

Who is my source? I can't say but he/she is close to the situation and I think would know what he/she is talking about.

I have zero intention of spreading FUD about the GFX. I have one on order! Shooting down unfounded rumors is hardly spreading FUD.