The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX and Capture One

stephengilbert

Two things:

1. "Being called out for posting shaky evidence?" So much of what we discuss here is a lot more shaky than what Gerald posted. He told us what he'd heard, from a company rep, and posted a video. I guess he needed to have more reliable sources than that? Give me a break.

2. If Gerald were to withdraw from this site, it would be a loss.

DB5

There is a video of a GFX seminar over at Fujirumors with a speaker and rep saying that C1 was happening.

Steve Hendrix

Two things:

1. "Being called out for posting shaky evidence?" So much of what we discuss here is a lot more shaky than what Gerald posted. He told us what he'd heard, from a company rep, and posted a video. I guess he needed to have more reliable sources than that? Give me a break.

2. If Gerald were to withdraw from this site, it would be a loss.

I agree with point 2.

For point 1, yes, a lot of what is discussed here is extremely shaky. That doesn't change my opinion that a Fuji Product Manager at a Fuji Camera Launch stating it has Capture One support is shaky evidence of it happening. And in fact elsewhere in this thread, Eric Lundqvist states he asked a Fuji representative if it was true and the Fuji representative told him no, it was not true. So how does this make what another Fuji rep said not shaky? If Fuji is saying it, and then not saying it, and Phase One is saying nothing, and there is no official announcement, then yes, it is shaky as hell.

So, I'm sorry, but I'll stand by what I said about shaky evidence. I believe in facts. Yes, it's a fact that person said it in the video. No that does not mean it is a fact it is happening. I like to hear things from the lions mouth itself, and the lion in this case would be the company who actually writes the software. Until I hear it from them - and historically it would be the complete opposite of Phase One's traditional stance and strategy as a company to offer this - I can choose to not believe and to see anyone else stating it as yes, shaky. I'm sorry the term shaky bothers anyone - I simply believe in true or not true. If it is not true, it is at best, yes, shaky. I can't believe I'm having to defend this.

Steve Hendrix/CI

DB5

Sure, it's not fact, but it makes for very interesting discussion and it seems the chances of it happening are looking more likely.

Geoff

In this heated environment, can we try to distinguish something - that there is a confusion underlying all of this:

- a fact was reported - someone stood up and said something. That was a fact and worth reporting.
- a factual statement - that what they said is true. And this is not so clear and remains unknown.

In the realm of the net, these two get mixed up all the time. But they are fundamentally different.

One can understand Gerald getting upset about being called out on the statement, when he thought he was presenting the fact of its delivery. Here, the very presentation of the fact is often read as a new reality. If it was a bit overstated, this can take on its own separate life.

But hey, if we've learned anything from Kevin B. on LL and the Hassy story, even a little bit of misplaced tone can go a long way in the 'net and escalate.

What C1 does about the Fuji will inevitably become clearer over the next few months, so it doesn't seem this point needs to be pushed much further. Hopefully this community doesn't have to meltdown over this. Might both parties be willing to step back a bit, and please just let this one cool off?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Gerald----please cool your heels a bit. I don't think you've done anything that would warrant banning from the GetDPI family. You are a valuable contributor and I'd hate to see you leave. 99 percent of us if at the pre

:) ken
I'm banning no one but let's cool this down. 99 percent of us would report the same news if at the presentation.

Suggestion get off the keyboard for a hour and chill out. There are no nuclear bombs here. It's just a discussion no need to stick your finger in the trigger to stop the war.

Last edited:

vjbelle

Just to change the subject slightly, I sure hope that Cambo will make a GFX mount for the Actus. I would be an almost for sure buyer at that point. Very exciting times.....

Victor

tjv

I hope C1 does support the GFX. If that becomes the case, I hope they also decide to support the X1D, Leica S and Pentax.
More options can only be a good thing.

Personally, I like C1 but prefer using LR. That is saying nothing about attaining the ultimate IQ, as I've never compared conversions with my Leaf files.

MrSmith

"In using colorful terms like "flackie at a dog and pony show", I wasn't intending to incite Gerald, and I'm sorry if he took it that way. "

shooting the messenger. Why would Gerald doubt what an official regional representative has said?
TBH I would take the word of a regional representative from a brand over a dealer any day as they are in the direct employ not a box shifter, despite in this instance giving the wrong info.

We have a Cambo voice on here now, maybe they can throw some light on an adapter for the Actus?

Steve Hendrix

"In using colorful terms like "flackie at a dog and pony show", I wasn't intending to incite Gerald, and I'm sorry if he took it that way. "

shooting the messenger. Why would Gerald doubt what an official regional representative has said?
TBH I would take the word of a regional representative from a brand over a dealer any day as they are in the direct employ not a box shifter, despite in this instance giving the wrong info.

We have a Cambo voice on here now, maybe they can throw some light on an adapter for the Actus?

Ok, that's it. I am sorry, I am sorry, I am sorry.

I have the flu this week, my head is fuzzy, I should be resting and recuperating, and no, my writing is not reflecting what I am trying to say, I am doing a very lousy job of that. And for that I apologize. I can go back over what I myself wrote, and read it, and know what I was trying to say, and then I am asking myself, why did I write it like that??

Everything I write is clearly coming out the wrong way, so I'll say no more for now. I know that everyone here will be thankful for that.

Steve Hendrix/CI

vjbelle

Ok, that's it. I am sorry, I am sorry, I am sorry.

I have the flu this week, my head is fuzzy, I should be resting and recuperating, and no, my writing is not reflecting what I am trying to say, I am doing a very lousy job of that. And for that I apologize. I can go back over what I myself wrote, and read it, and know what I was trying to say, and then I am asking myself, why did I write it like that??

Everything I write is clearly coming out the wrong way, so I'll say no more for now. I know that everyone here will be thankful for that.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Good red wine is the healer of flu..... Make sure to drink copius amounts and no cheap stuff. Everything will be fine on Monday..:thumbup:

Victor

Paul2660

With the solid "no" from Doug, I would take that as official that P1 again has chosen to keep their head in the sand on support for non P1 MF cameras.

Sad, as P1 currently has nothing to compete with the Fuji or Hasselblad and odds are that the Fuji will be a very successful camera in the worldwide market and the Hasselblad already has. P1 has a chance to grow software market share and software mind share. And the growth could be considerable based on projected placements of both of these cameras. Cameras which answer a lot of pent up demand since previously the cost point of entry into MF was too much for many. The knowledge of the quality of this particular Sony 50MP chip has already been shown over the past 2.5 years in both P1 product, the Hasselblad 50c and now X1D, and soon the GFX. Who knows how long it will be before Sony realizes that this is a market that they also want to compete in. It's fair to state that the mass market will be in the cropped 645 sensor not the "full frame" versions. Sony already seems to have plans for another version of this sized chip in the 75 to 100MP range, and it's safe to assume it will come with many more up to date features and or advances.

I have enjoyed tremendous success with P1 products, however I will also state that I have a problem with a company chooses to exclude certain cameras from a "total software solution" because they deem them as competitive when in reality P1 has nothing to compete with either the X1D or GFX. Also when P1 ever does release a product it will still be excessively priced and no matter what it will be considerably late to the game. I realize that there are many on this forum that are willing to pay that price but I believe over time that the numbers will decline. Phase could gain considerable software market share and a pretty much steady revenue stream by changing their current direction, but that appears not to be the case. Many companies have learned that the revenue stream from software is by far better than the revenue stream from bring out new hardware each year and covering the excessive cost of development and long term warranty cost.

I have enjoyed the use of C1 over the years since the early days of 3.7.x releases, and hope that some day P1 will change their policy in regards to supporting other MF cameras.

Paul Caldwell

hcubell

With the solid "no" from Doug, I would take that as official that P1 again has chosen to keep their head in the sand on support for non P1 MF cameras.

Sad, as P1 currently has nothing to compete with the Fuji or Hasselblad and odds are that the Fuji will be a very successful camera in the worldwide market and the Hasselblad already has. P1 has a chance to grow software market share and software mind share. And the growth could be considerable based on projected placements of both of these cameras. Cameras which answer a lot of pent up demand since previously the cost point of entry into MF was too much for many. The knowledge of the quality of this particular Sony 50MP chip has already been shown over the past 2.5 years in both P1 product, the Hasselblad 50c and now X1D, and soon the GFX. Who knows how long it will be before Sony realizes that this is a market that they also want to compete in. It's fair to state that the mass market will be in the cropped 645 sensor not the "full frame" versions. Sony already seems to have plans for another version of this sized chip in the 75 to 100MP range, and it's safe to assume it will come with many more up to date features and or advances.

I have enjoyed tremendous success with P1 products, however I will also state that I have a problem with a company chooses to exclude certain cameras from a "total software solution" because they deem them as competitive when in reality P1 has nothing to compete with either the X1D or GFX. Also when P1 ever does release a product it will still be excessively priced and no matter what it will be considerably late to the game. I realize that there are many on this forum that are willing to pay that price but I believe over time that the numbers will decline. Phase could gain considerable software market share and a pretty much steady revenue stream by changing their current direction, but that appears not to be the case. Many companies have learned that the revenue stream from software is by far better than the revenue stream from bring out new hardware each year and covering the excessive cost of development and long term warranty cost.

I have enjoyed the use of C1 over the years since the early days of 3.7.x releases, and hope that some day P1 will change their policy in regards to supporting other MF cameras.

Paul Caldwell
I share your desire for C! to be open so that I can use it for all of my camera systems. It would be great for all of us as photographers. However, I have to believe that Phase has VERY carefully analyzed this issue internally, and they have concluded that their "closed" approach is the more economically compelling option. I haven't seen the numbers so how can I disagree with a company whose survival depends upon being right. On the other hand, the market for medium format camera systems is no longer Phase and Hasselblad, with both competing at the higher end of the market. There is a new and very significant player at the lower end of the medium format market, Fuji. If Phase decides that it can't or won't compete in that market segment, Phase may very well change its position. For now, I am pretty sure that they want to keep their options open.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I hear you Paul. I understand why Phase may choose this route, and certainly they've "run the numbers", but personally I'd be surprised if a decision to buy a Phase Camera over a Hasselblad, Pentax, Leica and now Fuji would be based on the ability to use C1 by that many buyers. I'm not saying there are some, but not sure this really affects the numbers as much as they think.

I for one don't worry about it to much, because I believe I've mastered enough over the past 15 years that I can get a print I'm happy with using any tool out there. I'm doubtful that anyone looking at the prints on the wall of my gallery will care, or even be able to tell what software I used to process the image. Side by side, perhaps, but differences are negligible.

So I personally believe Phase's logic might be flawed, and there might be options they could explore, but lack of C1 support won't stop me from buying a GFX. The only thing that will stop me from buying a GFX in the next year is if Phase announces a similar solution, then I might wait and see. That doesn't mean I'll quit using my XF/IQ3 100, but the future is here for MF and I hope Phase gets on board sooner than later.

Nick-T

Wayne I'm no expert as I don't use C1 but I do think many Pros who shoot tethered do factor in C1 support in their choice of camera system and this is why P1 have made a decision not to support other MF offerings. C1 is a powerful piece of software especially for tethering, and certainly has a great deal more features than Phocus or Silky pix. My workflow is perhaps a bit different from most, I want my (usually tethered) files to come in reliably (they do) to a piece of software (Phocus in my case) that can do the heavy lifting (say major tone adjustments in 16bit) before I export to PS for the clever stuff. In other words I don't really care about the extended feature set of C1 because I don't need it, I have LR for image management and PS for retouching. Again that's just me.

gmfotografie

Just to change the subject slightly, I sure hope that Cambo will make a GFX mount for the Actus. I would be an almost for sure buyer at that point. Very exciting times.....

Victor
they answered to an email - yes there will be a new actus version for the gfx

the last two days i had food shootings and i was so happy to work tethered with c1 - in my opinion you cannot compare it with lightroom when it comes to tethered shooting !

for my professional work the combination of camera and software is more important than megapixels ... if c1 will not support gfx i will stick on my great canon 5div system.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Showing my bias here but I always have over the years. I'm one not to buy a camera without C1 support. Tethering is just one huge feature set why I use it. This decision has come down to passing on a Leica S system, Pentax 645 and yes even to a certain extent Hassy although I could deal with Phocus if you pushed me. I honestly do not like LR at all but I said that before too. This is really the only area in photography where I have brand loyalty is my software. It's just me some and most folks love LR and that's great , I'm just stuck preferring C1. I already sort of blew off this Fuji because of the non support. This was exciting news but as usual in this industry a lot of politics and competitive decisions leave us end users with little solutions to work with.

Paratom

Phase one has "protected" their medium format camera market against other brands by not supplying profiles for other medium format cameras. This way they might influence a few people to use phase one camera instead of other cameras, but at the same time they will sell much less licences of software.
Maybe they have realized this and
change this strategy with Fuji gfx, I would welcome if they do change this behaviour. (Even though after I was forced to switch to LR when buying into the S system I got so used to LR that I dont want to spend the time to switch back...).
would be great if we all had the choice.

MrSmith

Somebody with 10k to spend on a 50mp MFD system isn't going to wait until they have 25k to spend just so they can use capture one. It's great software but the alternatives are certainly good enough to shoot tethered with.

Over at the 'other forum' somebody has said it will be supported but tethering will need a separate piece of software. (I'm guessing a watched folder) or is it that the sony sensor is supported therefore the files can be processed?

*Disclaimer* I am only reporting on what I have understood from anecdotal 2nd hand information and cannot supply verification or confirmation that this information is correct or not. I am not liable for any financial loss from purchasing decisions based on this information.