The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX and Capture One

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Steve,

Interesting you say that. At the NY Photoexpo, I was with a professional Leica S shooter and we stopped by the Phase One booth. We had resolution pushed on us as the main advantage of the 100MP back over the Leica's 37MP. Afterwards, my friend said "What a strange pitch. If he'd talked about tethering speed, he'd have had my attention!" :D

--Matt

Steve Hendrix

Steve,

Interesting you say that. At the NY Photoexpo, I was with a professional Leica S shooter and we stopped by the Phase One booth. We had resolution pushed on us as the main advantage of the 100MP back over the Leica's 37MP. Afterwards, my friend said "What a strange pitch. If he'd talked about tethering speed, he'd have had my attention!" :D

--Matt

Hah - that's funny Matt, but not surprised. Except Phase One doesn't have a booth at PhotoExpo, you probably stopped by a NY dealer booth who registered as Phase One (as they do every year).

It's best if I don't comment too much on other dealer's pitching tactics.

We have also exhibited at PhotoPlus Expo in recent years, typically under Capture Integration, and we were there last year. Should have stopped by!

:)

Steve Hendrix/CI

Iktinos

Not Available
You can say whatever you wish.

The fact is that there are many users who are die hard Capture One users that would never accept Phocus (or a Fuji tethering plug in to Lightroom, etc). There are enough of them - apparently - to make it worthwhile for Phase One to value the restriction of Capture One compatibility in the way that they have.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Only future can tell... I do understand however that it is a marketing pre-judgement that you decided within CI on, as to follow for the future. Only my two cents though, that you've predicted marketing developments wrong, one can't be sure on the marketing direction unless he knows what competition is up to both for future products, as well as for software development.

Steve Hendrix

Only future can tell... I do understand however that it is a marketing pre-judgement that you decided within CI on, as to follow for the future. Only my two cents though, that you've predicted marketing developments wrong, one can't be sure on the marketing direction unless he knows what competition is up to both for future products, as well as for software development.

Whatever you say. Based on the track record, we'll take our chances. Thanks for your concerns.

Steve Hendrix/CI

kscott

The fact is that there are many users who are die hard Capture One users that would never accept Phocus (or a Fuji tethering plug in to Lightroom, etc). There are enough of them - apparently - to make it worthwhile for Phase One to value the restriction of Capture One compatibility in the way that they have. For a landscape shooter looking to edit files, there are reasonable alternatives to consider outside of Capture One. But for many, Capture One is not just an image editor, it represents a much larger part of their software workflow.
Hard to know how big a factor this actually is in the average MF camera purchase, but I can say anecdotally that's a big one for me. One of the reasons that I can't see replacing my P1 with either the X1D (which I now have) or the GFX (which I will have shortly) as my primary studio camera is that they don't work with Capture One. My entire workflow is built around Capture One, and they're doing smart things, like the Tangent panel work in Capture One 10, that are delightful and save me even more time, which deepens my dependence on their software. I'm sure other folks love Lightroom or Phocus or whatever tools they're using for their production work. I'm just stating a personal preference.

The other thing to consider here is that the MF digital camera market is tiny. A few thousand new cameras are sold each year, in contrast to the 11.2 million interchangeable lens cameras that CIPA forecasts will be sold in 2017. Even if the X1D and GFX double or triple the size of the market, and every single person who bought one of these two cameras also purchased Capture One, that would add less than 5% to Phase One's top line. If I were Phase One and trying to figure out how to allocate my precious resources (they had 178 employees in 2015) I wouldn't be betting on the market tripling, nor grabbing 100% RAW processor market share for X1D and GFX sales. That makes the potential upside of adding this support much smaller, with potential downside of cannibalizing hardware sales and the opportunity cost of not doing other things that could drive larger increases in revenue, like, e.g., trying to get more of the much larger DSLR and mirrorless professional raw processing market share, and investing in the next generation of medium format hardware, perhaps including their own mirrorless offering.

Despite the fact that this disappoints some folks who would like Capture One support for the X1D and GFX--and I am in this group--it doesn't seem like a particularly surprising decision. I wish it were different, but I certainly don't fault them for focusing on the things they think will help them grow their business.

gerald.d

Hah - that's funny Matt, but not surprised. Except Phase One doesn't have a booth at PhotoExpo, you probably stopped by a NY dealer booth who registered as Phase One (as they do every year).

It's best if I don't comment too much on other dealer's pitching tactics.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Just a thought. "Team Phase One" might be better served if players on the same "team" didn't consistently seek to denigrate one another. Especially not in public.

And on that particular subject, I will save the regaling of a rather baffling scenario where the purchaser of my Achromatic+ was advised by his dealer that the fact he was having trouble tethering it was almost certainly down to a fault with the back, and that it wasn't worth even bothering to try another cable or fully validate his tethering settings, for another day.

Suffice to say, whoever that dealer was, I look forward to discussing the matter with them publicly, and the entire debacle will be shared with "the mothership".

Steve Hendrix

Just a thought. "Team Phase One" might be better served if players on the same "team" didn't consistently seek to denigrate one another. Especially not in public.

And on that particular subject, I will save the regaling of a rather baffling scenario where the purchaser of my Achromatic+ was advised by his dealer that the fact he was having trouble tethering it was almost certainly down to a fault with the back, and that it wasn't worth even bothering to try another cable or fully validate his tethering settings, for another day.

Suffice to say, whoever that dealer was, I look forward to discussing the matter with them publicly, and the entire debacle will be shared with "the mothership".

Oh I'm sure you will.

Gerald, as you well know from your stated example, the quality of dealers varies widely.

By no stretch of the imagination do we consider ourselves on the same "team" as any dealer from New York, Phase One or otherwise. So please do me a favor and don't attempt to censor my extremely mild agreement with Matt's post.

Steve Hendrix/CI

gerald.d

Oh I'm sure you will.

Gerald, as you well know from your stated example, the quality of dealers varies widely.

By no stretch of the imagination do we consider ourselves on the same "team" as any dealer from New York, Phase One or otherwise. So please do me a favor and don't attempt to censor my extremely mild agreement with Matt's post.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Censor?

How am "attempting to censor" what you said?

stephengilbert

"Censor:" "examine (a book, movie, etc.) officially and suppress unacceptable parts of it."

When Gerald starts deleting people's posts, let us know. That'd certainly be a problem.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Yikes!

For the record, I have been very well treated by both Phase One dealers I have dealt with, and both know that I have no need to tether. My friend (and step-brother-in-law .. it's complicated) does tether every shoot, as he does portraiture. (He was a bit surprised to come across this wall at the expo, as he didn't remember authorizing it. Happy, mind you, but surprised.)

Tethering speed is his only complaint abut the S.

Concerning C1, I wish it supported the S. I know from experience that I just won't carry around a camera with a DB. The XF with the lenses I would use is much too large and heavy, and I strongly prefer AF. My choice was stick with C1 and take no medium format pictures, or use a system that agreed with me ergonomically and process as best I could in a less pleasant environment. The S won and I suffer with LR/PS. I don't waste grief or anger on the lack of C1 support. If I can't make a picture good with the tools I have, it's not a good picture.

Best,

Matt

Iktinos

Not Available
Traditionally speaking, it has always being the creator and his skills that make a great photograph and then, the equipment HE (or she) chooses to execute it... As the world keeps spinning, some will want the photographer to forget that today's software never existed when in the past these great photographs were created and convince him instead, that he will advance to a "great photographer" because of the software he uses that "can replace the skills he lucks" .

I'm afraid, the world will keep spinning and the great skills, combined with the tools that the executor chooses as to create a great photograph, will always surpass whatever skills the promoters of a software may insist that is "irreplaceable".

I'm simply sorry if some still insist that an inferior tool is a must, because it is accompanied by "great software" that is irreplaceable.

No software is irreplaceable IMO, only the skills for capturing a great photograph can be irreplaceable.

Last edited:

algrove

So K-H

Turns you were spot on about Iridient supporting GFX RAW files. Saw a notice to the effect in Fujirumors.

gmfotografie

The GFX looks like a great solution for my Studio and my OnLocation photography --- but the lack of a good tethered Software (e.g. C1) is a big drawback for me.

Pelorus

I just happened across this thread. With the benefit of what we now know, it's disappointing that the people in the thread who beat up Gerald so thoroughly didn't have the good manners and good grace to apologise. Just saying.:cool: