The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX and Capture One

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
It would be interesting to know the whole story here. Maybe it just took a long long long time for Phase One & Fuji to come to commercial terms, and before launch they were in a tentative deal ? I’m pretty sure that the person at the announcement said what they did based on the information available at the time. (It happens in my business where executives and product managers make announcements and then things change and we have to clean up the mess with customers, prospects and partners :angry:).

Anyway, Gerald was finally vindicated, Victor got his Actus adapters, and the joy of photography continues with such superb tools. :thumbs:

gerald.d

I just happened across this thread. With the benefit of what we now know, it's disappointing that the people in the thread who beat up Gerald so thoroughly didn't have the good manners and good grace to apologise. Just saying.:cool:
Capture One will provide full support (including tethering) for Hasselblad before that ever happens.

Shashin

Still no support for my Pentax 645D. I like C1, but as Matt stated above and so long ago, I am not losing sleep over that--C1 was made to support Phase products, not to be a general purpose tool for photographers at large. There are other products that will support both my Fuji and Pentax cameras. Besides, C1 is like Lightroom, which guides you through a particular workflow: I prefer a Photoshop/Bridge type open interface that just provides the tools without the hoops of structured programs like C1. Still, I would like to get away from Photoshop, but I am finding it hard to find a good replacement.

Gerd

....... I would like to get away from Photoshop, but I am finding it hard to find a good replacement.
Affinity Photo is very close to Photoshop. Even the shortcuts are mostly the same. What Affiniry can not do is 3D unlike Photoshop. The included RAW converter (equivalent to the Adobe Camera RAW) is not quite as good. Since I pass from CP1 to AP my IIQ RAW's as 16 bit TIF / PSD / PSB, that does not bother me. AP can Panos, Focustacking, HDR and image calculations - in my personal opinion - even better than Photoshop. Most PS plugins work directly with AP.

I only bought AP because I often work in field with my HP Z Book - because after a day, Adobe PS refused to work without an Internet connection. I was very surprised how good AP is.

Affinity Photo costs 50.- € and you can test it for 10 days. Maybe that's interesting for you.

Link to Affinty Photo CLICK:

Greeting Gerd

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Still no support for my Pentax 645D. I like C1, but as Matt stated above and so long ago, I am not losing sleep over that--C1 was made to support Phase products, not to be a general purpose tool for photographers at large.
This has not been true for more than a decade.

The huge majority of C1 users are using at least one non Phase One camera.

It's true that for both practical and business reasons they spend an inordinate amount of time tweaking its performance (both speed and quality) for Phase One cameras. But in my opinion they do a better job with Canon, Sony, Fuji, and Nikon files than any other software available.

C1 is like Lightroom, which guides you through a particular workflow: I prefer a Photoshop/Bridge type open interface that just provides the tools without the hoops of structured programs like C1.
You can use C1 in the manner you describe ("open interface").

Shashin

This has not been true for more than a decade.

C1 will support my 645D? I did not see that listed in the compatible cameras. But thanks for the heads up. I will look into that.

As a matter of history, C1 was designed to support Phase cameras. But now it supports Pentax medium-format cameras, it is a really good move on C1's part.

You can use C1 in the manner you describe ("open interface").
This is even better news. I have been looking for software for my Pentax and Fuji cameras.

Paul2660

Since 3.7.8 C1 Pro has supported pretty much all 35mm and APS -C cameras. But would not support any other MF brands.

I was also not aware C1 supported the Pentax MF cameras. D and Z

I thought Fuji was the only non MF supported with exif editing to allow C1 to open the file.

Glad to see that’s changing.

I agree there was a lot of “C1 will never support Fuji” quotes and strong communication that should have been walked back.

Fuji support is excellent

Paul C

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Sorry my post over-quoted yours. I meant to be replying to the part of your post where you wrote “C1 was made to support Phase products, not to be a general purpose tool for photographers at large.” which has not been true for over a decade.

The Pentax 645 is not supported.

Shashin

Sorry my post over-quoted yours. I meant to be replying to the part of your post where you wrote “C1 was made to support Phase products, not to be a general purpose tool for photographers at large.” which has not been true for over a decade.

The Pentax 645 is not supported.
I guess with the exception of all Pentax, Leica, and Hasselblad medium-format cameras. And what is the rationale for that? If C1 is a general purpose tool for photographers at large, that is.

PeterA

Part of my reason to go Fuji with MF and dabble with X series as well is the ability to use C1 as an alternative to LR. I switched out of XID into GF series when it became public that C1 would support Fuji GFX. Ci's raw processing of Leica files for M/SL and CL is as good as LR so if I maintain any Leica gear - that is fine too. C1's lack of DAM is the only negative I can think of re this software- which isn't burdened by the inevitable push to Cloud nonsense that Adobe and many other companies want to foist on users.

So now my workflow is C1 > PS > C1 finished files > LR DAM/Storage/back-up.....if C1 could actually put together a DAM system - I could get rid of Adobe from my life- which would be a handy monthly saving and a simplification of my workflow. As things stand now- I am figuring out ways to eliminate Adobe anyway - which will require a restructure of how I go about accessing 20 yrs worth of files.

As for the nonsense in this thread and the way Gerald was treated - poor form and apologies are way way overdue - not that they mean anything to anyone anyway.

Steve Hendrix

Capture One will provide full support (including tethering) for Hasselblad before that ever happens.

Gerald, you've given me a nice opening to say that I am sorry for provoking you and being a contributor to the ruckus. Since I saw this thread pop back up I went back and re-read a lot of what I posted. Not my proudest moment here at GetDPI. I do recall I had the flu that week and was quite heavily medicated. (in fact I mentioned that). Being that foggy headed, I suppose I just couldn't fathom that what I was writing was so inappropriate. I have tried since to not PWF (post with flu).

Any depth of thought would have led to a conclusion that while this seemed very unlikely, the fact someone at Fuji made the announcement only meant that the two sides had clearly been talking and someone simply jumped the gun or the other side changed their mind about the timing. And as we've seen, ultimately this turned out to be the case. So ... I'm really not sure about that Hasselblad support from C1 coming along, but I am sorry that I responded to you Gerald in the way I did. It potentially could have been a debatable topic, but not in the manner with which I presented it.

Steve Hendrix/CI

MrSmith

So now my workflow is C1 > PS > C1 finished files > LR DAM/Storage/back-up.....if C1 could actually put together a DAM system - I could get rid of Adobe from my life- which would be a handy monthly saving and a simplification of my workflow.
i’m always a bit mystified by statements re paying Adobe £9 a month (no idea of $ cost) when compared to the $10-$50K camera equipment people are using?
a Leica S7 plastic body cap is $75 a leica USB to lemo tether cable $150. in the big scheme of things a photoshop/lightroom subscription is peanuts (or 2 flat whites at your local artisan cafe)

pegelli

i’m always a bit mystified by statements re paying Adobe £9 a month (no idea of $ cost) when compared to the $10-$50K camera equipment people are using?
For me it's not the monthly money outlay, it's the "end game" that Adobe defined when you stop the subscription. For instance for Lightroom they then disable the develop module, so basically you're stuck with the very rudimentary controls of the library module. However you can still import new images. If they would for instance disable the import module but still be able to use the develop module for everything that is in the library from the time you subscribed I could be tempted to switch to the subscription model. Or restart selling "perpetual licence" versions, even if buying the upgrades every 12-18 month would be more expensive than the subscription I'd still go for that to maintain capabilities I'm used to and not take a step back.

Pelorus

For me the issue isn't so much the subscription model - though I prefer to buy a license. For me the issue is the sh*t that Adobe puts on my laptop and the way it hogs resources and does what it wants. I feel like saying faaark off it's my laptop. That's why I won't use any Adobe product.

a Leica S7 plastic body cap is $75 a leica USB to lemo tether cable $150. in the big scheme of things a photoshop/lightroom subscription is peanuts (or 2 flat whites at your local artisan cafe)

PeterA

What does it cost to host 6 terrabytes of data growing at a terrabyte p.a. on the Cloud? How do I access my own data from the Cloud if I don't have internet access? I could go on ....

MrSmith

Just find it odd that £9/Month is seen as prohibitive to work on files from £10-£50k of camera kit.
Doesn’t give me insomnia either.