Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuji GFX and Capture One

Post Thanks / Like

Fuji GFX and Capture One

Well this is big news.

I'm at the Fuji launch event for the GFX here in Dubai, and the Fuji representative has just confirmed that when the GFX is launched, it will be supported in Capture One.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fuji GFX and Capture One

Wow, that is good news for Fuji fans. I wonder why Pentax wasn't able to arrange such a deal.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gerald.d View Post
    Well this is big news.

I'm at the Fuji launch event for the GFX here in Dubai, and the Fuji representative has just confirmed that when the GFX is launched, it will be supported in Capture One.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

With best regards, K-H.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I will still be surprised if it happens, but if it does that is I agree great news.

Phase One does an excellent job with the current X-trans raw files and if they give tethering support, well things will be really nice indeed.

Paul Caldwell

Post Thanks / Like

Doug Peterson will know if this is true. Doug?
    What makes me skeptical is that a launch event in Dubai is a strange place to "announce" such important news. Fuji is a very buttoned up company that likes to control the release of information.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2WK View Post
    Wow, that is good news for Fuji fans. I wonder why Pentax wasn't able to arrange such a deal.
    If it's true, it is all about money. The current owner of Phase is a private equity firm that is either half way out the door or is working to that end. Perhaps they calculated that the additional revenue from the new buyers of Capture One plus any money paid by Fuji to "sweeten" the pot for Phase was worth much more than the potential loss of camera sales to the GFX. Phase may be more focused than ever on moving up market to premium priced products like a back with a new Sony sensor offering 150MP+.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I see nothing wrong with that. C1 permits me to get images to my liking!
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Doug Peterson will know if this is true. Doug?
    What makes me skeptical is that a launch event in Dubai is a strange place to "announce" such important news. Fuji is a very buttoned up company that likes to control the release of information.
    It wasn't a planned announcement.

At the end of a presentation given by Zack Arias, I asked him whether he would miss Capture One if he moved from Phase One to Fuji. He said he didn't know whether the GFX would be supported, and looked at the Fuji guys. They said that it would be supported when the camera is released. I challenged it, they confirmed.

Oh, and for what it's worth, plenty of things get announced here.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That changed things. Good news
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So basically Capture One will support every camera manufacturer that isn't Hasselblad.

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And the Leica S
    mattgraysonphoto.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DezFoto View Post
    So basically Capture One will support every camera manufacturer that isn't Hasselblad.
    If what was said this evening was true, then from a competitive standpoint it could actually make a lot of sense.

I had a brief play with the GFX yesterday - I really should spend a little more time with it, perhaps I'll go back later in the week and dig a little deeper - but this camera is a game changer, and from what I've read here regarding the X1D, it's going to get blown out of the water.

Post Thanks / Like

It wasn't a planned announcement.

At the end of a presentation given by Zack Arias, I asked him whether he would miss Capture One if he moved from Phase One to Fuji. He said he didn't know whether the GFX would be supported, and looked at the Fuji guys. They said that it would be supported when the camera is released. I challenged it, they confirmed.

Oh, and for what it's worth, plenty of things get announced here.
    The strange thing is not that it was announced in Dubai, it is that it was apparently just a statement in response to a random question at a pre-launch event in Dubai. One would expect such an announcement to be made with a bit more fanfare. We shall see. If true, it is excellent news.

Post Thanks / Like

If what was said this evening was true, then from a competitive standpoint it could actually make a lot of sense.

I had a brief play with the GFX yesterday - I really should spend a little more time with it, perhaps I'll go back later in the week and dig a little deeper - but this camera is a game changer, and from what I've read here regarding the X1D, it's going to get blown out of the water.
    The first rule for evaluating camera systems based upon what you read on the internet is....don't. Of course, if you are just looking to have preconceived notions supported, it's great, because there is an opinion on just about everything on the internet, with most of it based upon anecdote rather than first hand experience.

Post Thanks / Like

The first rule for evaluating camera systems based upon what you read on the internet is....don't. Of course, if you are just looking to have preconceived notions supported, it's great, because there is an opinion on just about everything on the internet, with most of it based upon anecdote rather than first hand experience.
    Not sure what point you are trying to make here, but it flew right over my head.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I guess that it may mean that Fujifilm made an arrangement with Phase One. Sony seems to have some arrangement with Phase One, too, so there are some licensing options from Phase One for Sony. Good news for Capture One fans, no doubt.

Best regards
    Erik

Not sure what point you are trying to make here, but it flew right over my head.

Post Thanks / Like

...and from what I've read here regarding the X1D, [the X1D] is going to get blown out of the water.
    The first rule for evaluating camera systems based upon what you read on the internet is....don't. Of course, if you are just looking to have preconceived notions supported, it's great, because there is an opinion on just about everything on the internet, with 99.9% of it based upon anecdote rather than first hand experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I used to download the manuals and read before making any order. The internet is a great place for information and much of that information is first hand. But you need to check the credibility of your sources.

What we can see right now is that it seems to be some indication that Capture One will have some support for the GFX. My guess is that there is a commercial deal between Fujifilm and Phase One, and that would be a good thing for Capture One users, as that would mean good support and not just some kind of support.

On the other hand, we have seen some good postings indicating that Lightroom delivers results that are very close to Phocus with the X1D. That may indicate that a vendor cooperating with Adobe can offer excellent processing options with Lightroom.

Best regards
    Erik

The first rule for evaluating camera systems based upon what you read on the internet is....don't. Of course, if you are just looking to have preconceived notions supported, it's great, because there is an opinion on just about everything on the internet, with 99.9% of it based upon anecdote rather than first hand experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

4 hours since starting the thread and no denial from doug, must be true then.
    In the commercials by fuji you could see the guys working with c1 anyway.

Why should they be editing jpgs on c1
    It was supported from the get go, the denial from phase was just a nda, for whatever reason

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    4 hours since starting the thread and no denial from doug, must be true then.
    In the commercials by fuji you could see the guys working with c1 anyway.

Why should they be editing jpgs on c1
    It was supported from the get go, the denial from phase was just a nda, for whatever reason
    Why would they be editing JPEGs in C1? Well, Fuji has a thing about JPEGs, and apparently a very significant percentage of Fuji shooters shoot JPEGs. Moreover, nobody has been permitted to shoot raws with the GFX cameras. Perhaps that's because there is no support as of now in any software for Fuji raw files. With the GFX hitting the streets in two weeks, what software is going to provide immediate support for the raw files?

I assume Doug is trying to track down the rumor at Phase One as we speak. If the rumor is true, it would be great if it reverses Phase's policy for other competitive MF cameras as well, and Phase supports Leica, Pentax and Hasselblad files in Capture One. Of course, there is support and there is SUPPORT.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I will be very surprised if Iridient did not have raw support by the 1st, it may already be in beta with some folks. LR also more than likely will have it out in a dot release. I give Hasselblad credit as they had Adobe support months before any of the X1D bodies shipped.

C1 tends to be the last to get the support for any new camera, but they also seem to get it right.

Fingers crossed that Phase will allow the raw support for the GFX!!

Paul Caldwell

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why would they be editing JPEGs in C1?

it was one guess when we saw those commercials by fuji and saw the guys editing GFX images on capture one, of course, what sense would it make to edit JPG on a RAW editor/converter

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Even though I have moved 70,000 files to LR, I would go back to C1 today if it supported the Leica S. but this is about Fuji. Sorry for the

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drevil View Post
    it was one guess when we saw those commercials by fuji and saw the guys editing GFX images on capture one, of course, what sense would it make to edit JPG on a RAW editor/converter

Fuji has been doing a number of launch events around the world. Were the photographers who attended allowed to shoot raw files to their own cards?

Post Thanks / Like

Could not agree more:
    1. Good for fuji and fuji users that like Capture One.
    2. More money to Phase One.
    3. Phase One gets to control the image quality of the GFX
    4. It undermines the X1D a little bit.

Let hope it materializes. I left Capture One long time ago, but I used to love it. It's a very good software.

Best regards,

Post Thanks / Like

So "open system" now means "only closed to a few competitors we are scared of or don't like?"

I have no problem wit LR, but C1 is good for my Leaf files. Just lacks a few features I appreciate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    So "open system" now means "only closed to a few competitors we are scared of or don't like?"
    It's important to note that Phase is an open system. That means you can use Hasselblad backs on Phase bodies and process X1D files in the excellent C1. This is why Phase have been complaining about Hasselblad closing their system for so long.

Oh wait.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know why Phase doesn't just raise the price of Capture 1 for other medium format cameras. People who want it will pay it, they make more money, everyone is happy.

Post Thanks / Like

I normally don't comment on these threads but been finding some of the comments too funny not to respond. If C1 is available for the GFX then that is great news.

In terms of why Phase One just doesn't support everything and charge more is probably for the same reasons Apple's OSX doesn't natively support NTFS and Microsofts Windows 10 doesn't support HFS+, its because control allows a measure of strategic advantage. This happens ALL the time in the software industry in particular where a piece of software has a dominant position. The money angle isn't always as simple as it looks.

As folks have noted people speak with their money and can choose alternatives just like the case outline above about OS software. I can choose to move to Linux which would allow me to read both or purchase a utility (other piece of software) to add this feature. To get upset with MS or Apple for not including the feature vs charging me more to include it.... it would be nice but it's not going to happen.

In terms of the comment on Phase One's "Open System" the system I'm sure they're referring too is the MFDB itself not CaptureOne. Didn't see that as a selling point in any of their marketing.... in fact there is a link on the CaptureOne website to see supported cameras.

Sorry for getting a little off topic.. now back to your regularly scheduled program

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, it seems this is being reported from multiple sources -

Patrick Laroque's blog - http://www.laroquephoto.com/blog/201...st-impressions

And from Fujirumors - http://www.fujirumors.com/breaking-g...t-impressions/ - apparently also from a comment on a closed Facebook Group dedicated to the GFX.

Possibly both of the above actually sourced from here, but I suspect we will have absolute facts very quickly now. Within a matter of hours the major photography blogs will pick up on it.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

With Sony being the only supplier of sensors around, one can't help to think that they can enforce any software support that would help increase the sales of their sensors to high volumes.
    Last edited by Iktinos; 16th February 2017 at 04:02.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this is a big deal! The GFX is shaping up to be a landmark disruptive design. I can't help but feel it's going to bring about the end of the 35mm camera in at least some of the market.

Post Thanks / Like

Gerald, please a quick report about your GFX likes and dislikes, curious to hear:-)
    Thx, Chris

Post Thanks / Like

With C1P support, now I just need a Phase/Mamiya mount adapter with electronic aperture control for the GFX and the GFX would become the backup to my XF system. I hate not having a MF backup but rather having to use a 35mm camera with a separate lens set as a backup.
    E.J. Peiker
    www.EJPhoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW, it seems this is being reported from multiple sources -

Patrick Laroque's blog - http://www.laroquephoto.com/blog/201...st-impressions

And from Fujirumors - http://www.fujirumors.com/breaking-g...t-impressions/ - apparently also from a comment on a closed Facebook Group dedicated to the GFX.

Possibly both of the above actually sourced from here, but I suspect we will have absolute facts very quickly now. Within a matter of hours the major photography blogs will pick up on it.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    Just to follow up on this, I am now in the closed group on Facebook, and the source for the relevant post was this thread.

I asked Patrick La Roque what his source was, and he was rather coy in his answer, saying "It was mentioned during a public briefing on the new system. For the record, I was very surprised to hear this (given the history with Pentax) and followed up. Time will tell of course."

So it seems very likely that there is still just a single source for this information.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an exclusive for GetDPI...

The event was live-streamed. Jump to 47 minutes into this video to hear my question, Zack's response, and this exact quote from Fuji -

"So on the release date of GFX after it soon the Capture One will support the GFX"

I missed the "after it soon" bit.

https://www.facebook.com/fujifilmme/...5676683142941/

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an exclusive for GetDPI...

The event was live-streamed. Jump to 47 minutes into this video to hear my question, Zack's response, and this exact quote from Fuji -

"So on the release date of GFX after it soon the Capture One will support the GFX"

I missed the "after it soon" bit.

https://www.facebook.com/fujifilmme/...5676683142941/

Kind regards,

Gerald.
    Please let us know when someone from Phase One confirms it.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the story about Capture One support for the Fuji GFX appears to be like those Elvis sightings. I have it on pretty good authority that it's just not true. Too bad. It was a nice fantasy while it lasted. Unfortunately, it may be that way with a number of things with the GFX. When something looks too good to be true from a distance, it usually is.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, the story about Capture One support for the Fuji GFX appears to be like those Elvis sightings. I have it on pretty good authority that it's just not true. Too bad. It was a nice fantasy while it lasted. Unfortunately, it may be that way with a number of things with the GFX. When something looks too good to be true from a distance, it usually is.
    In what way is it "like those Elvis sightings"?

What other "things" do you think might also resemble Elvis sightings when it comes to the GFX?

/Edit
    And with regards to your "having it on good authority", I have at least provided video evidence of a Fuji representative making the claim.

Perhaps your "good authority" would step up to the camera too?

Personally, I have my doubts about what was said at the launch here. I'm simply relaying what was said in a public arena.

You seem to have some skin in this game with your relentless FUD thrown at the Fuji. Just what is it you have to lose?
    Last edited by gerald.d; 16th February 2017 at 11:37.

Post Thanks / Like

In what way is it "like those Elvis sightings"?

What other "things" do you think might also resemble Elvis sightings when it comes to the GFX?

/Edit
    And with regards to your "having it on good authority", I have at least provided video evidence of a Fuji representative making the claim.

Perhaps your "good authority" would step up to the camera too?

Personally, I have my doubts about what was said at the launch here. I'm simply relaying what was said in a public arena.

You seem to have some skin in this game with your relentless FUD thrown at the Fuji. Just what is it you have to lose?
    I have totally lost count of the number of times over the past 6 months that I have read that Capture One would support the GFX raw files, all with the same degree of factual support as Elvis sightings. This is what happens during the honeymoon phase when a new camera system is announced and before it is released. Everyone wants it to be perfect so they convince themselves that it will be perfect. Capture One support is part of that fantasy.
    Your initial report here that Fuji "announced" that Capture One would support the GFX files in Dubai was not hedged, and it was repeated at LuLa, and then others picked it up as fact. Later, you went back and revisited what was actually said. That sounded like a lot more hearsay to me than statement based upon direct knowledge.

Who is my source? I can't say but he/she is close to the situation and I think would know what he/she is talking about.

I have zero intention of spreading FUD about the GFX. I have one on order! Shooting down unfounded rumors is hardly spreading FUD.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com

Post Thanks / Like

You accuse me of "hearsay"?

So let me get this straight.

I provide video evidence of the statement being made by a Fuji representative.

And you say "I can't say who my source is".

Err, ok then.

"I have no intention of spreading FUD about the GFX"

"Unfortunately, it may be that way with a number of things with the GFX."

Right. As you were. Nothing to see here.
    Last edited by gerald.d; 16th February 2017 at 13:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, Mike Johnston thinks it's worth a mention: http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...after-all.html

Gerald was good enough for me, and, apparently, for Mike. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

You accuse me of "hearsay"?

So let me get this straight.

I provide video evidence of the statement being made by a Fuji representative.

And you say "I can't say who my source is".

Err, ok then.

"I have no intention of spreading FUD about the GFX"

"Unfortunately, it may be that way with a number of things with the GFX."

Right. As you were. Nothing to see here.
    I am done with this non-story.

Post Thanks / Like

I am done with this non-story.
    I'm not.

I think an apology is in order.

I won't be holding my breath though.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Please let us know when someone from Phase One confirms it.
    Be sure, that if it was a wrong post, somebody "from P1" like Doug or Steven would have reacted already! It's not wrong buddy... it's all true! Good news for P1 profits too.... I guess that Hassy has to follow soon as to support the GFX with Phocus and keep advancing it as to be "up-there" for what it doesn't do. (although Phocus does do multishot and motion picture that C1 doesn't and is of superb RAW processing results).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Iktinos View Post
    Be sure, that if it was a wrong post, somebody "from P1" like Doug or Steven would have reacted already! It's not wrong buddy... it's all true! Good news for P1 profits too.... I guess that Hassy has to follow soon as to support the GFX with Phocus and keep advancing it as to be "up-there" for what it doesn't do. (although Phocus does do multishot and motion picture that C1 doesn't and is of superb RAW processing results).

Are you so sure?

Why would Doug or I want to jump into this?

Simply ask yourself this. Given how unlikely it is, don't you think it makes more sense to hear something official from the company that is actually producing the software than accept the word from some flackie at a dog and pony show?

Steve Hendrix/CI
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: • Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar • Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: • Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar • Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    Are you so sure?

Why would Doug or I want to jump into this?

Simply ask yourself this. Given how unlikely it is, don't you think it makes more sense to hear something official from the company that is actually producing the software than accept the word from some flackie at a dog and pony show?

Steve Hendrix/CI
    "Flackie at a dog and pony show"?

Really Steve?

You want to go there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Phase one would be stupid not to support it. Or great for me no reason to buy the pro version anymore...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not.

I think an apology is in order.

I won't be holding my breath though.
    Who should be apologizing? The person who breathlessly spread the rumor all across the internet, or the person who is shooting it down as just another unfounded rumor that is very likely false?
    I don't know. Perhaps you think that if the rumor is repeated enough, it magically becomes true.

Post Thanks / Like

Just absolutely gobsmacked at some of the reactions to my simply relating what was said at an official Fuji event.

Regardless of what the actual facts are, I've learned a big lesson.

Don't contribute to the community here on anything remotely controversial. Even if you have incontrovertible proof that what you are relating is the truth.

Your motivation and integrity will be questioned and assaulted.

"A flackie at a dog and pony show."

**** me. No. Seriously.

**** me.

Sideways.

I cannot help but to question whether Phase One are proud of way "Team Phase One" is represented on the forum by their US dealer network.

For the record. I am personally responsible for generating sales in the six figure USD for Phase One. That's counting my own spend, and the spend of people who directly acted on my advice. Personally, I have not benefited to the tune of a single cent. I am absolutely thrilled with the Phase One gear I own, and the support from my local dealer.

To the mods.

Please wait 24 hours before banning me. By all means ban me from posting, but not from donating to the forum.

I am waiting for confirmation that the buyer of my Achromatic+ is happy with the transaction. Once that occurs, I will as promised be making a $500 contribution to the forum.

After that, do as you please. I'm done here.