The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Advice on Hasselblad X1D

rmatthews

Hi all

I am seriously considering the X1D and was hoping to get some advice.
I am not a pro - I just like taking pictures when I travel and of the family etc
I currently have a Leica M240 which I like very much when I nail the focus but I do have to admit that there are times when RF focusing defeats me - It's not a huge deal and I kind of accept it as the cost of owning a camera I enjoy. I am not tempted by the Leica SL as I just find it too big and in your face, especially with the native Leica AF lenses.

The X1D has really got me intrigued though - it has the AF and from what I've heard is still pretty easy to manual focus. I really love the interface on it - I originally moved to Leica as I just got so fed up and confused by all the buttons and switches that other makes seem to add more and more of, and from the reviews I've seen the X1D seems to follow the same principles of simplicity whilst also utilising a very modern touchscreen approach. I also love the design. It's bigger than I'm used to, but the handgrip looks so ergonomic extending forwards and backwards that I think it feels even smaller than actually is. It just looks great.

The points that are holding me back are that it is a first generation product and although I'm sure firmware will come out to address some issues, inevitably the X2D will solve some quirks with hardware (does anyone know hasselblad's normal lifecycle for bodies?)
I'm also a bit hesitant about the smaller than I'm used to apertures for my use case - I don't obsess over background blur but I do like how it can make subjects pop out - will I achieve that with f3.5 at 35mm equivalent? (i'd only have the one lens for a while).

Finally, is medium format really geared towards landscape or studio portraiture - neither of which I will ever do.

Sorry if I'm rambling, it's a big decision though and all input is more than welcome!

Thanks

I'm also a bit hesitant about the smaller than I'm used to apertures for my use case - I don't obsess over background blur but I do like how it can make subjects pop out - will I achieve that with f3.5 at 35mm equivalent? (i'd only have the one lens for a while).
30mm f/3.5 for 44x33 = 24mm f/2.8 for 35mm format

45mm f/3.5 for 44x33 = 35mm f/2.8 for 35mm format

90mm f/3.2 for 44x33 = 71mm f/2.5 for 35mm format

etto72

Hi all

I am not a pro - I just like taking pictures when I travel and of the family etc
I currently have a Leica M240 which I like very much when I nail the focus but I do have to admit that there are times when RF focusing defeats me - It's not a huge deal and I kind of accept it as the cost of owning a camera I enjoy. I am not tempted by the Leica SL as I just find it too big and in your face, especially with the native Leica AF lenses.

The X1D has really got me intrigued though - it has the AF and from what I've heard is still pretty easy to manual focus. I really love the interface on it - I originally moved to Leica as I just got so fed up and confused by all the buttons and switches that other makes seem to add more and more of, and from the reviews I've seen the X1D seems to follow the same principles of simplicity whilst also utilising a very modern touchscreen approach. I also love the design. It's bigger than I'm used to, but the handgrip looks so ergonomic extending forwards and backwards that I think it feels even smaller than actually is. It just looks great.

The points that are holding me back are that it is a first generation product and although I'm sure firmware will come out to address some issues, inevitably the X2D will solve some quirks with hardware (does anyone know hasselblad's normal lifecycle for bodies?)

Finally, is medium format really geared towards landscape or studio portraiture - neither of which I will ever do.

Sorry if I'm rambling, it's a big decision though and all input is more than welcome!

Thanks
The 90mm will give a certain 3D pop up already especially if you shoot near to the subject
and i also believe that out of the 5 new lenses XCD Hasselblad is supposed to announce this year at list one will be faster
If you can't wait get the H adapter and buy the 150mm 3.2, in my past experience with the Pentax 645Z + 150mm you can get awesome separation and 3D pop with this combination

Cheers
Ettore

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I assume that you are looking for a travel and family camera ... and within those spheres the question becomes one of intended
output size ... how big will you realistically print and how often.

X1D is really still a beta rendition at this point ... if you listen to those who are using it there are multiple FW want lists.

It may not be that much smaller than the SL with M lenses ... you have limited AF points and no joystick to select them so
you have to rely on two wheels to move to the desired point of focus or you can smudge the back on your way there.

Battery life is pretty abysmal ... no big deal to carry multiple.

You should play a bit with a demo camera as the focus feel of the lenses will not be like those of the M cameras.

On my short list would be the M10 with the EVF ... supposedly the delay is much improved over the old M240 and EVF. Color
out of the M10 seems improved as is WB ... according to those who have used it. And you already have lenses to use on the camera that
have gorgeous rendering and 3D pop.

You will find that your shooting discipline may need to change with 50MP no IBIS and slow lenses .... a bit less spontaneous and still this
may be a camera that you subjects find a bit intimidating.

Please understand MF acuity DR and depth is wonderful ... just takes a bit of adjustment.

Unless you are shooting with the intent of printing large it may not be worth the tradeoff. Lock a M camera on a decent tripod and the
prints are stellar. Shoot it wide open in a spontaneous fashion and you will capture expressions and movement that you might not get
with MF.

I have shot both for years ... side by side ... M cameras since 1976 ... MF from 1978. More of my keepers for family are with the M ... landscapes
I have examples of both that work.

I am on a list for a X1D ( and for a GFX-50s) ... replacing a Leica S ... but for it would not replace a Leica M ... or a Fuji XPro ... or a Sony A7RII ... supplement it yes
but not replace it.

Look closely at the pictures coming from the X1D ... few seem to show that element termed 'mojo' ... With a 100 F 2.2 HC or perhaps a very fast
lens yet to be announced that may change but there are not enough data points to decide if it is the newness of the camera or an inherent quality
that is lacking in the slower smaller lens design of the X lenses.

With time it will be a very compelling camera ... not sure if we are there yet.

Best bet would be to rent a camera for a few days and wring it out ... then decide.

Bob

mkerouac

Hi all

Thanks
Hmm. This is a tough one. I have the X1D 4116 with the 3 lenses. Love it. I also have have an extensive Nikon 35mm Kit and Love it. Finally I have the H6D100c and love it. But I love each for what they can do and I tolerate what they can not do. Owning all 3 platforms allows me to pick the right tool for the right use case. I would not consider the X1D a family/travel camera. Can it be used to shoot travel and family? Sure t can. But it's not a very fast camera. I wouldn't consider it a street photography camera and it's not great for fast moving anything. I tried it in studio, the EVF is abysmal when used with flash. I tried it outdoors, it works fine, but again, its a slow and deliberate camera. The 50mp requires a very steady hand and "faster than I'm used to" shutter speeds to get sharp images. The X1D is an outstanding design achievement and it makes stellar images. But it has its limitations. Plus you would be carrying about $12k around your neck for travel and family photo's. I assume you are not set on MF. The Leica's you mentioned are obviously outstanding. The SL is not as big as you may think. You just need to stay away from the bazooka super zoom. The Sony Alfa's obviously have a great reputation, but a bit more on the consumer side than Prosumer. It looks like your budget will allow you to buy whatever moves you, so the demo route is likely your best bet in helping you decide.

hcubell

Look closely at the pictures coming from the X1D ... few seem to show that element termed 'mojo' ... With a 100 F 2.2 HC or perhaps a very fast
lens yet to be announced that may change but there are not enough data points to decide if it is the newness of the camera or an inherent quality
that is lacking in the slower smaller lens design of the X lenses.

Bob
I have now used the X1D and the three lenses for 2.5 weeks. Yes, there a number of ways that the X1D is a work in progress. It lacks a number of "features" that I would want, but nothing I NEED to produce the kind of images that I want in the kind of conditions that I shoot in. A major part of the attraction of the X1D to me is that it has a limited set of capabilities. I am not interested in a medium format system that is just like a typical Japanese DSLR. I want it to be more like a typical Hasselblad or Phase medium format camera/back, but small, light and much more portable. Most significantly, I care about the image quality, and here the X1D excels. The raw files that come out of the X1D have exceptionally beautiful color and tone. Effortlessly. Do they have "pop and sizzle" straight out of the camera? No, thank God. I would caution against judging what a camera is capable of producing from JPEGs circulating on the internet. The 50MP Sony sensor used in the X1D is not new for Hasselblad. It has been selling H5 and H6 systems with the same sensor for three years or so. The Hasselblad image processing pipeline using that sensor is well proven, and I have seen many, many beautiful photographs made with it. I do not find the lack of "fast" lenses to be a barrier, any more than I do with my H2/IQ180 shooting with my favorite lenses...the 50MM f/3.5, the 150 f/3.2 and the 50-110mm f/3.5-4.5 zoom. The whole lineup of Hasselblad lenses consists of one 100mm f/2.2 lens and one 80mm f/2.8 lens. If "fast" lenses with razor thin depth of field is what one wants, IMO medium format is not the place to be.

Anyone interested in a medium format system would be very well advised to rent the system(s) you are interested in for a weekend and trying it by shooting what, and the way, you normally shoot. See if it works for you.

Last edited:

rmatthews

Thanks everyone, some really good food for thought. Given that no one around here has the camera in stock yet I still have time to mull it over before making any hard decisions. In the meantime I'll keep looking at the fun with X1D thread to see all the great pictures current owners are able to create :thumbup:

kuau

Workshop Member
Since I am now officially stuck with my Leica S 006 and 4 S lenses I don't think I will be looking into getting the X1D or GFX anytime soon.

Question to the lucky few who have the X1D realistically what is the slowest shutter speed one can hand hold to really make the 50mp CMOS sensor shine?

It would seem to me that that exceptional technique is mandatory.

Steven

Shashin

It is for whatever you want to use it for. There is really no such thing as a landscape or studio camera. I have used my Pentax 645D as a walk around camera. But I would try before you buy. There will be subtle things about the camera you may not like. It is also a different aspect ratio. If you like 3:2 formats, you might not like 4:3. Then a 42mp 35mm format camera may be better, if it is just pixels you want.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Since I am now officially stuck with my Leica S 006 and 4 S lenses I don't think I will be looking into getting the X1D or GFX anytime soon.

Question to the lucky few who have the X1D realistically what is the slowest shutter speed one can hand hold to really make the 50mp CMOS sensor shine?

Steven
Steven,

:OT:, but as someone else with an 006 and 4 S lenses, I can offer that a monopod gives me 2 stops longer exposures with sharp results. I usually just shoot hand-held, as I don't mind ISO 1600 from the 006.

Anyway, back to the X1D!

--Matt

mkerouac

Steven
Well, I haven't performed any scientific tests, but I tend to use the same rule I use for my D810. Without stabilization, I use 2/focal length. So far so good. I have shot the 45mm as low as 1/30th of a second and the results were useable. You can shoot 1/focal length and also get good results, but your % of keepers will probably drop a bit.

jdphoto

I would consider the Leica Q for a travel and family camera. It's a beautifully built camera with maybe the fastest AF of them all, and 10fps. Yes, fixed stellar 28mm 1.7 Summilux, but that's the beauty of a travel camera. Easy to carry, with one of the best EVF's and no rangefinder. Prints up to 16x20, I think it would be hard to tell the difference between MFD and 35mm FF. If it's about aesthetics the X1D is a nice design, but you can save a lot with the Q or Sony A7RII.

kuau

Workshop Member
Steven,

:OT:, but as someone else with an 006 and 4 S lenses, I can offer that a monopod gives me 2 stops longer exposures with sharp results. I usually just shoot hand-held, as I don't mind ISO 1600 from the 006.

Anyway, back to the X1D!

--Matt
Matt, my bad, yes it was off topic, yet my question of the reality of 50mp hand held is still valid in regards to the X1D. I would have to assume that any 50mp sensor would demand at least a monopod, though I maybe wrong. I was just curious.

mkeroua,
45mm at 1/30 wow you have steady hands.

I would consider the Leica Q for a travel and family camera. It's a beautifully built camera with maybe the fastest AF of them all, and 10fps. Yes, fixed stellar 28mm 1.7 Summilux, but that's the beauty of a travel camera. Easy to carry, with one of the best EVF's and no rangefinder. Prints up to 16x20, I think it would be hard to tell the difference between MFD and 35mm FF. If it's about aesthetics the X1D is a nice design, but you can save a lot with the Q or Sony A7RII.
The Leica Q comes with touch-screen (blazing fast AF and shutter release with a single touch of finger, saving any harassment of selecting focus point manually with buttons or joysticks), image stabilization as well as Wi-Fi and silent shutter. No other fullframe compact camera can do this yet. This is indeed the best family camera.

rmatthews

Yes I have had a Leica Q in the past and it is a fantastic camera - it just isn't my favourite focal length (I much prefer 35-50mm). For the odd occasion I need 28mm I have a tiny Ricoh GR but I'd prefer my main camera to be slightly less wide

Yes I have had a Leica Q in the past and it is a fantastic camera - it just isn't my favourite focal length (I much prefer 35-50mm). For the odd occasion I need 28mm I have a tiny Ricoh GR but I'd prefer my main camera to be slightly less wide
Have you tried the rx1r ii?

I travel with the swc, although not fast and convenient as digital, the final product is always pleasing. I would think the x1d and the 30mm would be a faster substitute.

Last edited:

rmatthews

Have you tried the rx1r ii?
Yes I have. It has fantastic output, as good as any FF camera I've used. My issues with the RX1 series are more ergonomic - I really dislike the pop up VF and in general Sony cameras have too many buttons, switches and options for my not so great mind to remember.

rmatthews

So I managed to pop in to the Richard Caplan store in London to have a bit of a play. Their display model has older firmware (I didn't see which version) and they believe it may also be slightly different hardware to the production models as they have had it for some months. It really does feel even smaller in hand than the specs suggest which I believe is a consequence of the handgrip extending out the front and back so more weight is in the (strong) palm of your hand rather than your fingers as with every other camera on the market. Very clever, obvious and surprising that no-one else has used this design before (at least that I'm aware of).

The performance of the one they have there is really quite slow, with an even longer blackout than I was expecting from having seen online reviews. I suspect this may be due to the pre-production firmware/hardware(?) - If anyone knows whether things have speeded up since the demo models that came out mid last year that would be helpful to know. Either way it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me as I generally take one photo at a time.

I did take some test photos on an sd card I brought with. The white balance was a bit odd on some of the photos but was easy enough to adjust in lightroom. Others the WB was spot on - I forgot to check what the white balance was set to in camera although as the resulting photos had different temperatures I assume it must have been set to auto, albeit a previous firmware version of it.

Focusing was quite snappy and I liked how magnified the MF was when I switched to that.

I did take one portrait of the nice gentleman who was helping me and it certainly does seem to give plenty of isolation and to my eyes converts to B+w nicely too. I will try and attach that to this post but don't really know what I'm doing so we'll see what happens when I click submit. The only edits are moving the colour temp up very slightly and the exposure slider to +0.3

Attachments

Godfrey

So I managed to pop in to the Richard Caplan store in London to have a bit of a play. Their display model has older firmware (I didn't see which version) and they believe it may also be slightly different hardware to the production models as they have had it for some months. It really does feel even smaller in hand than the specs suggest which I believe is a consequence of the handgrip extending out the front and back so more weight is in the (strong) palm of your hand rather than your fingers as with every other camera on the market. Very clever, obvious and surprising that no-one else has used this design before (at least that I'm aware of). ...
The Olympus E-1 grip is the most similar I've found, and it is similarly amongst the very best cameras to hold that I've experienced.

G