The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which Zeiss lenses can be used on Pentax 645D

rollsman44

I am speculating on different NOn Pentax Glass for the D. And Which adaptor will I need for these Hassy or Contax or ??? Lenses Mainly Prime lenses. Thanks

Jamgolf

I used a Fotodiox Pro adapter with Cfi 100, CFE IF 40 and SA250.
All with satisfactory results and infinity focus.

thrice

With lenses like the Pentax 35, 120 and 300 it's hard to imagine anything much better out of the V camp.

rollsman44

I must say thatis correct. I was just speculating and trying to see who uses Hassy lenses on the D I will stay with my 645 and 67 lenses
Thank you all for your input

neil

It is nice to have the ability to be able to use the Hasselblad lens. The 200 series lens like the FE 110mm and the FE 350 have a very special look to them. The three lens mentioned above Cfi 100, CFE IF 40 and SA250 are legendary with extremely good performance. The downside is that the Hasselblad lens are a lot bigger than the Pentax 645 lens. E.g. Comparing the Hasselblad 40mm to Pentax 35mm. The Hasselblad is massive in comparison to the Pentax lens.

Can I ask which of the Pentax 67 lens are good on the 645d. I am just starting to use the 645d and noticed that second hand these lens seem to represent amazing value.

Jamgolf

I think its based on individual experiences and personal choices, but for me the older Pentax lenses (which I bought a lot of) ranged from barely acceptable to pretty good. I did not find any of those lenses to be stellar. In my observation most of them needed to be stopped down to f11 to be worthwhile to me. In comparison, Zeiss lenses could be shot wide open. On a CCD camera like Pentax 645D that is a lot f-stops. Modern Pentax 645 lenses such as the 55mm, 25mm and 90mm are in a different league, both quality and price wise, when comapred to the older Pentax lenses. There also seems to be considerable sample variation in older Pentax 645 lenses. Thats also something to consider.

I also tried a Pentax 67 lens (cant remember exactly which one) and it was very underwhelming. Although the price was less than a $100 so no real disappointment there.

Thats just my 2 cents and YMMV.

thrice

The new HD-Pentax-DFA 35mm F3.5 AL [IF] is very sharp, with just a little CA that cleans up well with the profile built into Lightroom. I'm shifting to the limits of the full image circle with an A7RII and it's great!

The original 35mm F3.5 is also special (sharper at working apertures than the 40/4 FLE but a tiny bit softer wide open). Both lenses are not designed for thick Sony coverglass while the new HD 35mm is.

marc aurel

The new HD-Pentax-DFA 35mm F3.5 AL [IF] is very sharp, with just a little CA that cleans up well with the profile built into Lightroom. I'm shifting to the limits of the full image circle with an A7RII and it's great!

The original 35mm F3.5 is also special (sharper at working apertures than the 40/4 FLE but a tiny bit softer wide open). Both lenses are not designed for thick Sony coverglass while the new HD 35mm is.
May I ask how you set the electronic aperture on the new Pentax lens when you use it with your A7R?
And how you correct the files for distortion? I could not find a profile for distortion correction (not with the Alpa plugin, and I think Capture one does not have a profile too). Or is distortion of the simple barrel type?

Thanks,
Marc

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

All Hasselblad V lenses are very well adaptable on the 645 cameras. Never hear people rave on forums about these that they are so much better as the older Pentax lenses.
Sometimes about the 110/2 but from what I have seen I am not a big fan of its restless bokeh wide open.
If you're extremely critical buy the D-FA 28-45, D-FA 55 and D-FA 90. A differnt price range though.

It is not my experience at all that older Pentax lenses are mediocre. I regularly use the A 35, FA 45-85, D-FA 55, FA 75 and the A 150/3.5 All good lenses! I have more but don't use then that much.
May be the point is that people always refer to " wide open " results. It does not have my interest anymore, I shoot mostly between F 8 an F 13 and it that range these lenses give good results.
If I want to see something with any DOF on a photograph, wide open is useless. It is no problem at all to shoot ISO 800 with the Z. I don't know about the 645D

You can walk around for a long time with only the A35, D-FA 55, FA 75 and A 150. They are extremely small and light for MF lenses. They compensate nicely for the weight of the camera. :cool:

Thomas Fallon

I am speculating on different NOn Pentax Glass for the D. And Which adaptor will I need for these Hassy or Contax or ??? Lenses Mainly Prime lenses. Thanks
Carl Zeiss Jena lenses for Pentagon Six are easily adapted to the Pentax 645. Adapters are available. I have most of them. The CZJ 180 is a fantastic lens. The 120 is also nice. I like the drawing of the 50. Just bought an 80 I did not try yet.

Classic 'Blad lenses also adapt. Notable is the 110 for shallow dof. The Contax 80 is popular but needs custom adaptation.

Ebay usually has some vintage lenses adapted to P645. I have an Imagon.

A guy doing business as Bokeh Factory adapts many lenses to the Pentax 645. S.K. Grimes can also do custom adaptations. Because of the flange distance of the camera, almost any large format lens will work.

Chinese adapters are available on Ebay for large format lenses on P67 and that in turn adapts to 645.

Pentax 67 lenses work with a Pentax adapter. The 105 2.4 is special.

Do some digging and a great deal of info is out there. I know you asked about Zeiss but I got rolling and could not stop. Hope that helps.

Thomas Fallon

All Hasselblad V lenses are very well adaptable on the 645 cameras. Never hear people rave on forums about these that they are so much better as the older Pentax lenses.
Sometimes about the 110/2 but from what I have seen I am not a big fan of its restless bokeh wide open.
If you're extremely critical buy the D-FA 28-45, D-FA 55 and D-FA 90. A differnt price range though.

It is not my experience at all that older Pentax lenses are mediocre. I regularly use the A 35, FA 45-85, D-FA 55, FA 75 and the A 150/3.5 All good lenses! I have more but don't use then that much.
May be the point is that people always refer to " wide open " results. It does not have my interest anymore, I shoot mostly between F 8 an F 13 and it that range these lenses give good results.
If I want to see something with any DOF on a photograph, wide open is useless. It is no problem at all to shoot ISO 800 with the Z. I don't know about the 645D

You can walk around for a long time with only the A35, D-FA 55, FA 75 and A 150. They are extremely small and light for MF lenses. They compensate nicely for the weight of the camera. :cool:
Would certainly agree with this post. A35 and A120 macro are superb lenses. 45-85 is good at low end particularly. The availability of great legacy glass is a huge asset. There are some clunkers though.

algrove

I think its based on individual experiences and personal choices, but for me the older Pentax lenses (which I bought a lot of) ranged from barely acceptable to pretty good. I did not find any of those lenses to be stellar. In my observation most of them needed to be stopped down to f11 to be worthwhile to me. In comparison, Zeiss lenses could be shot wide open. On a CCD camera like Pentax 645D that is a lot f-stops. Modern Pentax 645 lenses such as the 55mm, 25mm and 90mm are in a different league, both quality and price wise, when comapred to the older Pentax lenses. There also seems to be considerable sample variation in older Pentax 645 lenses. Thats also something to consider.

I also tried a Pentax 67 lens (cant remember exactly which one) and it was very underwhelming. Although the price was less than a $100 so no real disappointment there.

Thats just my 2 cents and YMMV.
Pretty much agree, however that 25/4 that I had (and now discontinued for more than 2 years by now) could be difficult in the corners with the D some said so I personally have no idea how it might perform on the D. It was great on the Z, but probably sells for $3-4k now. Mine was the last copy for sale new in the world at about $5k when new.

That new 35 I hear is stellar and remember the 28-45 is the new wide zoom. The Pentax forum has extremely knowledgeable members and a lens review section that can be helpful.

I used the Hassy old V 250 on my Z from time to time, but after a while I just preferred AF available even on some of the older Pentax. I had an older 150/2.8 that was excellent.

D&A

Lou, most of my lens testing showed that most all the Pentax lenses perform much the same on both the D and Z. The new HD Dfa 28rmm f3.5 is stellar and was a very big and pleasant surprise to me.

One question I've been meaning to ask. Most all copies of the 25mm f4 I've tested (whether DFa or DA), have corners that lag behind the central portion of the frame at virtually any f-stop meaning regardless of f-stop used. Partly this is due to the exceptional very high resolving power and sharpness in the center of the frame. This relative corner softness is more apparent as the distances grow longer and mimics the problem of field curvature much the same as the earlier FA 35mm f3.5 lens demonstrated, which also had weaker corners.

Sharpness in the corners does improve by f9-f11 (discounting defraction setting in) and although for many subjects its more than fine (with these lagging corners), yet if one was to shoot a flat field object or subject with detail across the frame like a distant landscape, the softness is readily apparent. Its still one of my favorite lenses for this system and wider and much more portable than the excellent 28-45. The 28-45 appears to have more even performance across the frame but isn't quite as sharp centrally, isn't as wide and certainly much bigger and much heavier.

I should mention that other than observing this 25mm f4 corner softness when printing large, it can be observed when viewing the image file on a monitor at 50% or greater. So my question to you is you also looked or noticed this with your 25mm f4 on your 645z when you owned it? Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

thrice

May I ask how you set the electronic aperture on the new Pentax lens when you use it with your A7R?
And how you correct the files for distortion? I could not find a profile for distortion correction (not with the Alpa plugin, and I think Capture one does not have a profile too). Or is distortion of the simple barrel type?
Hi Marc, I'm not correcting distortion and have not found it objectionable. It is very mild moustache distortion typical of a retrofocus wide.

The adapter engages the stop down lever. The Pentax 35mm has an aperture ring.

Cheers,
Dan