The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Smaller shoulder bag for a Hasselblad H camera

JK12

I've been looking for a smaller messenger/ sling style bag for a Hasselblad H camera with the 50mm lens attached. Needs to be padded but trying to find a less bulky and not oversized bag that might work. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.

jerome_m

I use a Delsey Cortex 05. Sorry, it is not longer made but its dimensions should give you an idea about the smallest bag possible for that setup.

gadelrosario

I've been looking for a smaller messenger/ sling style bag for a Hasselblad H camera with the 50mm lens attached. Needs to be padded but trying to find a less bulky and not oversized bag that might work. Anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.
I have the larger Everyday Messenger from Peak Design. It holds my H6D with 80mm attached and has room for HC 100 and HC 120 as well. All 3 have the lens shades attached.

citizin

I have the larger Everyday Messenger from Peak Design. It holds my H6D with 80mm attached and has room for HC 100 and HC 120 as well. All 3 have the lens shades attached.
This sounds like it would be perfect for what I have been looking for. Would we be able to see a packed picture?

I'm looking to fit a Body with h90x + 80mm attached with room for the 35 & 150 + 2 batts.

spijker

FWIW I recently bought the Tenba DNA 13 for my Mamiya 645AFD3 (film) gear. I was also looking for a smaller shoulder bag with easy access to walk around town. I can fit the camera with 3 lenses in. Even with the 75-150mm attached (hood reversed), the camera still fits in the bag. One of the main features for me is the big zipper on top so I don't have to open the flap in order to get the camera or a lens in/out of the bag. I looked at the Peak Design 15 as well but found it too bulky. The DNA13 allows me to carry the camera with the 45mm, 80mm and 75-150mm lenses and some extra small stuff. I've done a few walks with it and like it so far.

gadelrosario

This sounds like it would be perfect for what I have been looking for. Would we be able to see a packed picture?

I'm looking to fit a Body with h90x + 80mm attached with room for the 35 & 150 + 2 batts.
I hope I did this right - I'm new to the forum and am not too familiar with the process of uploading photos. Another alternative, though it's larger than the Peak Design bag, is the ThinkTank Urban Disguise 70 v. 2. Two batteries easily fit the Peak Design bag in the front zippered compartment and a tablet/smaller laptop fits in the back.

Attachments

jerome_m

I also use the Think Tank Urban Disguise series, I use the 40 and 50 myself (older versions), depending on the number of lenses. The backpack conversion strap is also very useful.

But these are larger bags and the original question was about a smaller bag.

maxshafiq

I bought Ming Thein's bag. Will add some pics later today. Excellent quality and craftsmanship and it can carry the camera and lens up to 35-90.

Highly highly recommend.

https://blog.mingthein.com/2016/10/07/mtxff-ultimate-daybag/

Godfrey

I'm using a Lowepro Passport II sling bag for Hassy 500cm with 80 or 50 lenses, A12 back, and 45 degree prism finder. Plenty of room for meter and such. Cheap.

G

Godfrey

Check out roamographer small bag!
Roamographer bags are lovely things, but really... over $600 for a friggin' bag?

In a bag, I want a comfortable carry, a light weight, enough room to fit the gear I want to carry, and reasonable durability for the price. Fancy, beautiful leather is wonderful stuff but tends to be heavy.

I find the Lowepro Passport Sling II is a good shooting bag choice for a small kit of a lot of random gear, my Hasselblad V system kit included. Consider the bag ($40) and a replacement insert shaped more suitably for the Hassy (an A&S insert works, $90). That's $130 and weighs about 1.5 lbs. I've been using the Passport, configured this way and other ways for other gear, for about six years now and it still looks new ... so it's certainly durable enough. It's also got a ring of pockets around the outside for great places to put that meter between uses, that phone when it's an annoyance in your pocket, etc. And the zipper back opens up another half a cubic foot when you want to stuff your jacket or sweater somewhere because clambering through that last field got you too hot to wear it.

(Hmm, come to think of it, with a little bit of funky padding assembly it might work for the Leica SL + 90-280 mm lens too. :) )

I love the looks of the Roamographer bag, but I doubt I'd ever spend that much for a bag of any kind.

G

bab

Roamographer bags are lovely things, but really... over $600 for a friggin' bag?

In a bag, I want a comfortable carry, a light weight, enough room to fit the gear I want to carry, and reasonable durability for the price. Fancy, beautiful leather is wonderful stuff but tends to be heavy.

I find the Lowepro Passport Sling II is a good shooting bag choice for a small kit of a lot of random gear, my Hasselblad V system kit included. Consider the bag ($40) and a replacement insert shaped more suitably for the Hassy (an A&S insert works, $90). That's $130 and weighs about 1.5 lbs. I've been using the Passport, configured this way and other ways for other gear, for about six years now and it still looks new ... so it's certainly durable enough. It's also got a ring of pockets around the outside for great places to put that meter between uses, that phone when it's an annoyance in your pocket, etc. And the zipper back opens up another half a cubic foot when you want to stuff your jacket or sweater somewhere because clambering through that last field got you too hot to wear it.

(Hmm, come to think of it, with a little bit of funky padding assembly it might work for the Leica SL + 90-280 mm lens too. :) )

I love the looks of the Roamographer bag, but I doubt I'd ever spend that much for a bag of any kind.

G
I hear ya brother almost bought the large one in Hong Kong so gorgeous but kinda heavy. The better choice is waxed canvas for light weight. But now I'm back on the fence I just emailed roamographer and asked if they would consider supplying me an additional divider they said yes. I also wanted to get some custom engraving they said yes so now I might pull the trigger. But for my in nature work I wouldn't trade out my backpack period, I've made a custom fit kasen foam insert which just works great. It allows me to work in the dark and grab any item by feel and memory instantly. This system is hard to replace. But if
I'm say in Chicago shooting building (long exposures) and I need different lenses, filters lots of **** I'm thinks hard about the Roamographer. One thing I hate the most is having gear stacked so when you need something you first have to remove an item before you can get to what you really want.
The camera vest solves some issues by having finger tip access to filters, lens caps and small items. The waist belt solves three things, it provides a additional support for the backpack, it's can be setup with lenses to relieve weight making your trek easier also provides a holder to change lenses safely these are important when your a one man show. I recently saw a documentary video where the famous NY photographer goes to Europe to shoot landscapes with a crew what a set up he had his car with art director in the back seat looking for locations a van following them loaded with gear, when they arrived at the location all of the people went into a studio set up. Monitors set up doing PP on the spot, grips setting up all equipment needs all the photographer did was frame it and push the button...living large.

Jake

+1 - Amazing how much it holds without being too bulky, and really really well thought out. Has become my primary camera bag. Well worth looking into if (when) Ming comes out with V2. Also at least in Australia, it was a lot cheaper than comparable billinghams- and built like a tank.

I bought Ming Thein's bag. Will add some pics later today. Excellent quality and craftsmanship and it can carry the camera and lens up to 35-90.

Highly highly recommend.

Godfrey

I hear ya brother almost bought the large one in Hong Kong so gorgeous but kinda heavy. The better choice is waxed canvas for light weight. But now I'm back on the fence I just emailed roamographer and asked if they would consider supplying me an additional divider they said yes. I also wanted to get some custom engraving they said yes so now I might pull the trigger. But for my in nature work I wouldn't trade out my backpack period, I've made a custom fit kasen foam insert which just works great. It allows me to work in the dark and grab any item by feel and memory instantly. This system is hard to replace. But if
I'm say in Chicago shooting building (long exposures) and I need different lenses, filters lots of **** I'm thinks hard about the Roamographer. One thing I hate the most is having gear stacked so when you need something you first have to remove an item before you can get to what you really want.
The camera vest solves some issues by having finger tip access to filters, lens caps and small items. The waist belt solves three things, it provides a additional support for the backpack, it's can be setup with lenses to relieve weight making your trek easier also provides a holder to change lenses safely these are important when your a one man show. I recently saw a documentary video where the famous NY photographer goes to Europe to shoot landscapes with a crew what a set up he had his car with art director in the back seat looking for locations a van following them loaded with gear, when they arrived at the location all of the people went into a studio set up. Monitors set up doing PP on the spot, grips setting up all equipment needs all the photographer did was frame it and push the button...living large.
Shockingly few of us can be Annie Leibowicz ... :toocool:

One thing I hate the most is having gear stacked so when you need something you first have to remove an item before you can get to what you really want.

Absolutely. That may be fine for when using a bag for storage or transit, but utterly useless and frustrating when you're trying to shoot. It's one of the reasons I find vertically oriented bags like some top-loading backpacks worse than useless. A really good bag should always present the gear at a glance, with a direct pick.

G

Godfrey

Highly highly recommend.

+1 - Amazing how much it holds without being too bulky, and really really well thought out. Has become my primary camera bag. Well worth looking into if (when) Ming comes out with V2. Also at least in Australia, it was a lot cheaper than comparable billinghams- and built like a tank.
It is, essentially, a larger-scale Billingham L2 "Alice" with some detail improvements. It shows how good a design the L2 really is. :)

I would consider one if I used the Hasselblad more often, I suspect, and/or carried more than one or two lenses on a regular basis. The L2 is my standard day bag for the SL now and carries up to the SL+3 R lenses, along with spare batteries and iPad Pro 9x7, very conveniently.

G

Jake

It is, essentially, a larger-scale Billingham L2 "Alice" with some detail improvements. It shows how good a design the L2 really is. :)

I would consider one if I used the Hasselblad more often, I suspect, and/or carried more than one or two lenses on a regular basis. The L2 is my standard day bag for the SL now and carries up to the SL+3 R lenses, along with spare batteries and iPad Pro 9x7, very conveniently.

G
If it ain't broke!