The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One forum: Not the right way to behave

etto72

I have posted on the Phase One forum this very same topic
Capture One 10 & Hasselblad DNG: Controversy and Solution
As you can see there is abslolutely nothing offensive, I clearly express how much i like the software..
and that although i respect their decision not to support other MF cameras I find sad that they intentionally
don't allow to import DNG 1.4 files from those camera, proving with a simple trick that the software is perfectly capable to read and edit those files!

As a result of that they cancelled my topic, not once but twice, without a single warning or explanation!

I am trying to ask myself:
Is that what people consider to be an acceptable behave?
Is that the way a company should treat their loyal costumers?

I am using C1 since version 3.7, i have been submitting features request for years
For the last 3 years part of their beta program, submitting any possible bug i could find!

Sorry to bother you guys
I just feel sad about all that

Best to all
Ettore

kdphotography

It doesn't matter how reasonable or how extreme a topic/reply may be----sometimes we need to remember something about all these forums on the internet are "owned" entities. And we are simply guests in their house. Like a homeowner, you get to decide the rules in your house. If I don't like what a visitor is saying in my home (no matter how reasonable or "correct") I still can ask them to leave.

Not here at GetDPI, but I've seen "commercial entities" threaten forum owners with legal action to remove threads that were critical of their products or businesses---despite the truth of the matter. And the threads disappeared.

No judgment on your content---just what I see that happens. The forums can be a controlled environment.

ken

They are scared you are giving away secrets!! :ROTFL:

While I'm not surprised, they could have at least had the decency to message you and simply say that since that is not a supported function and could corrupt files, etc. they need to remove the post.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Phase One has a clear decade-old policy of which cameras Capture One supports.

You've gone to their website and started a thread on how to hack files to trick C1 into sort-of working with cameras which are not supported, and which may create unintended consequences or bugs.

They removed the thread.

How is this surprising or offensive?

ejpeiker

While I appreciate now knowing how to do it should I want to use a camera that is not supported with C1, I can't blame a company for removing a thread that tells people how to hack a file that is in another company's file format, especially given that both Adobe and Hasselblad are companies that are direct competitors with Phase One's two primary products. And if I understand the complaint right, you posted that on a Phase One site and expected them to be good with posting a way to use their software on a file that they expressly designed their software not to support and now you are upset that they removed the instructions for that hack... I really can't comprehend why anyone would think that any company in a similar situation wouldn't do the same thing.

erlingmm

I have experienced the same, raised a question about why Leica S was not supported a while ago, thread deleted, no explanation.

I have heard that C1 was close to support the S2 when it was released, but cancelled the contract when they saw the results - they were too good.

You've gone to their website and started a thread on how to hack files to trick C1 into sort-of working with cameras which are not supported, and which may create unintended consequences or bugs.

They removed the thread.

Doug has a point :)

etto72

They removed the thread.

Thanks for your reply Doug

I think they could have the decency to explain why they removed my topic
especially considering that that I am actually one of their customers since a decade!

If you state you support DNG 1.4 you have to stand to that!
Removing the "d"" proves perfectly that C1 can perfectly read the DNG
and that story they have Bering saying for years about that DNG are not all the same doesn't apply at all in this case!

Thanks
E

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
If you state you support DNG 1.4 you have to stand to that!
Again the policy is very clear, and has been the same for a decade. C1 supports a list of cameras (including native raws from those cameras as well as DNG repackaging of those raws). No other cameras should be expected to work; rather you should fully expect that other cameras will not work, and that hacking raw files or the software to behave otherwise may cause issues.

I think they could have the decency to explain why they removed my topic, especially considering that that I am actually one of their customers since a decade!
I think the reason is pretty much common sense. But if you'd like an official response from Phase One directly on any topic you can contact them under "contact support" here; they always reply within 24 hours. It's possible they also emailed you, or will email you.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I have heard that C1 was close to support the S2 when it was released, but cancelled the contract when they saw the results - they were too good.
May I assume you heard this from a Leica dealer :).

The S2 is a great camera, but P1 does not support other medium format cameras in their software Capture One. Just like Leica does not support any other medium format cameras in Leica's Shuttle software, and Hasselblad does not support any other medium format cameras in Phocus. Just like Sinar does not support any other medium format cameras in their software. Just like (I assume) Fuji will not support other medium format cameras in SilkyPix.

Maybe there was some discussion at some point to offer Leica support via C1. But if there was I don't think it got very far.

erlingmm

May I assume you heard this from a Leica dealer :).

The S2 is a great camera, but P1 does not support other medium format cameras in their software Capture One. Just like Leica does not support any other medium format cameras in Leica's Shuttle software, and Hasselblad does not support any other medium format cameras in Phocus. Just like Sinar does not support any other medium format cameras in their software. Just like (I assume) Fuji will not support other medium format cameras in SilkyPix.

Maybe there was some discussion at some point to offer Leica support via C1. But if there was I don't think it got very far.
I think this comparison does not hold. C1 is marketed broadly as a RAW converter and PP SW for a whole range of cameras, and its obviously an interesting business in itself. A significant effort is made to facilitate and create profiles for cameras from a whole range of manufacturers, including Leica, just not other MF cameras.

As a Leica S user I would be happy using C1 for PP, it kan keep tethering for P1 for my part. Contrary to LR, creating a custom profile for C1 is very cumbersome, so it is not an alternative for me.

C1 may think that this will improve the competitive position of Phase One cameras in the MF market, and that this is more important than the C1 business. Of course, this is up to them, but they have lost a few customers for C1, no more upgrades from me, and I will NOT purchase a P1 camera to use C1. In the meantime LR/PS is catching up, and the argument for using C1 is waning, although it still has an edge in certain aspects.

Steve Hendrix

I have experienced the same, raised a question about why Leica S was not supported a while ago, thread deleted, no explanation.

Not that you could have known, but your reference to the results being too good had absolutely nothing to do with that situation.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Last edited:

stephengilbert

They've made a business decision. I wish they'd support other cameras, but am willing to concede that perhaps they know more about their business than I do.

It is possible.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Not that you couldn't have known, but your reference to the results being too good had absolutely nothing to do with that situation.

Steve Hendrix/CI
None whatsoever I might add. It was more in line with a contract dispute and let's leave it at that for everyone else outside of those decisions at the time. Not talking to Steve here just to be clear.

erlingmm

They've made a business decision. I wish they'd support other cameras, but am willing to concede that perhaps they know more about their business than I do.

It is possible.
Of course. But as a possible (but past) customer of C1 I reserve the right to discuss it. How many here have a preference for Phase One over other MF cameras because of C1 support?

I was told a story that someone posted in DJI's forum about how to modify a drone to carry a sensor from the Canon G1X, and DJI immediately deleted the thread and banned his account.

That's the behavior I'd expect when one acts with direct conflict of interest.

V

Vivek

I was told a story that someone posted in DJI's forum about how to modify a drone to carry a sensor from the Canon G1X, and DJI immediately deleted the thread and banned his account.
Seems like a total waste of G1X and DJI.

DezFoto

A couple of years ago Hasselblad blocked me and deleted my comments on both Instagram and Twitter for commenting, politely, that their "Lunar" camera was a Sony in a fancy party frock. This is despite me owning two full H systems and several lenses, so it's not uncommon for a corporate entity to act like a petulant child. Though I stopped short of ditching all my Hassy gear out of resentment, I will likely never upgrade to a newer H system and will continue to use Phase Backs with my current gear as long as it's feasible. Companies need to realize that what they do with social media affects how people perceive them and when someone is looking at spending between $13000 and $40000 on a camera system, they are likely to be fickle and take these things into account.

jerome_m

The part I put in bold is not quite correct. On OS X, Phocus will support any camera supported by the derawtising routines of OS X, MF or not. I just tried with a sample file from a Pentax 645 Z.

jerome_m

It doesn't matter how reasonable or how extreme a topic/reply may be----sometimes we need to remember something about all these forums on the internet are "owned" entities. And we are simply guests in their house.
Yes and no. A forum is also the product of its users inputs. IMO, it is more a give and take.