The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One forum: Not the right way to behave

Yeah, They make it possible to send your footage from one to the other and back again. Putting the creative power and freedom in your hands, which is how companies should think when your clients are creative professionals.

jdphoto

It doesn't matter how reasonable or how extreme a topic/reply may be----sometimes we need to remember something about all these forums on the internet are "owned" entities. And we are simply guests in their house. Like a homeowner, you get to decide the rules in your house. If I don't like what a visitor is saying in my home (no matter how reasonable or "correct") I still can ask them to leave.

Not here at GetDPI, but I've seen "commercial entities" threaten forum owners with legal action to remove threads that were critical of their products or businesses---despite the truth of the matter. And the threads disappeared.

No judgment on your content---just what I see that happens. The forums can be a controlled environment.

ken
If a topic continually leans against a certain brand GetDpi simply closes the thread. Sort of akin to shutting down free speech. As long as the discussions are civil then what's the harm from conversations that might benefit a potential client? Imo, a commercial entity is anything with advertising from sponsors. You can ask them to leave if you don't like what their saying, but that will just solidify the OP's point.

stephengilbert

"If a topic continually leans against a certain brand GetDpi simply closes the thread."

Really? Do you have examples of this?

OP posted on the Phase One forums a way which let's someone use Capture One in a way which was NOT intended. Of course they deleted his post.

"Hey everyone! Look I found a way to read RAW files from cameras Phase One has decided NOT to support! This is amazing!"

Delete...

jdphoto

"If a topic continually leans against a certain brand GetDpi simply closes the thread."

Really? Do you have examples of this?
Yes, the original thread about warning potential Leica S users, but good luck finding it. It was locked. I guess it was just fake news or in another words, subjective editorial.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I think you'll find that the only times that threads get locked is when people stop being civil with each other. I've never seen any form of censorship and I would counter that this is exactly why this place came into being in the first place after frustrations and restrictions with places like the Leica Camera forum as just one example.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
If a topic continually leans against a certain brand GetDpi simply closes the thread. Sort of akin to shutting down free speech. As long as the discussions are civil then what's the harm from conversations that might benefit a potential client? Imo, a commercial entity is anything with advertising from sponsors. You can ask them to leave if you don't like what their saying, but that will just solidify the OP's point.
Really as one of the admins. I consider this fake news. Only time we shut anything down is when members get out of hand. If that's something you disagree with than find someplace else. This is a bullshit comment. None of us live and die by any brand. Honestly I could care less about any brand but I do care we run a civil ship. If that means I have to shut anything down in that vain than that's what we will do. Find a forum that does not, good luck with that. Folks this is getting stupid. If you don't understand intellectual property with software than you been buried in the sand too long. Any OEM if any software can do anything they want with there intellectual property. It plain and simple

Abstraction

Guy Mancuso said:
Any OEM if any software can do anything they want with there intellectual property. It plain and simple
I agree, and as users, we can do whatever workarounds we feel necessary and share those workarounds with other users.

algrove

Really as one of the admins. I consider this fake news. Only time we shut anything down is when members get out of hand. If that's something you disagree with than find someplace else. This is a bullshit comment. None of us live and die by any brand. Honestly I could care less about any brand but I do care we run a civil ship. If that means I have to shut anything down in that vain than that's what we will do. Find a forum that does not, good luck with that. Folks this is getting stupid. If you don't understand intellectual property with software than you been buried in the sand too long. Any OEM if any software can do anything they want with there intellectual property. It plain and simple
Guy
I found the thread he is talking about and it was Cindy who closed the thread mentioning personal attacks 3 weeks ago. Sounds reasonable to me.

Guy Mancuso

Guy
I found the thread he is talking about and it was Cindy who closed the thread mentioning personal attacks 3 weeks ago. Sounds reasonable to me.
If Cindy thought it got out of hand than she did exactly the right thing. Total confidence in her. Bottom line we have a no attack rule and we stand by it. The rules even state it.

Thanks for pointing it out for me , appreciate it.

We give everyone a long rope here but we are not going to allow personal attacks. It affects everyone on those threads not just the instigators of it. I think our members like us doing that overall

jdphoto

Guy
Actually no. I just slogged through that thread again and you're completely wrong about the tone of the thread. It was more or less civil up to the last few comments when a Leica fanboy took it to another level, but the thread was closed to all instead of a warning to the poster of that comment. That thread was a wakeup call to potential buyers of the S and could prove useful for others. Not to mention pointing Leica reps to take a look into market research of their products. The thread starts with one owners significant complaints and investment that quickly turned into a Leica S support group. So, I stand by my comment and I keep everything civil, respectful and within a reasonable tone, but if you're not allowed to vent frustrations with particular gear you rely on for work, hobby or other, then what's the point. No, this isn't DP review (thankfully), but there's a lot of brand loyal snowflakes in here that need to understand not everyone has disposable income with the ability to move to other gear. When choosing a camera system, brand loyalty results from informative research, others recommendations, and a good track record of reliability. Let's not be apprehensive about being objective on this forum too. If you've got something to share about your gear that might help others form an opinion, then say it within a reasonable amount of decorum. And that is not BS.

jdphoto

I think you'll find that the only times that threads get locked is when people stop being civil with each other. I've never seen any form of censorship and I would counter that this is exactly why this place came into being in the first place after frustrations and restrictions with places like the Leica Camera forum as just one example.
Yes, lollipops and sunshine!

Jamgolf

Yes, lollipops and sunshine!
What does this mean?

BTW - there are exactly 4 threads that appear to be locked on the first 25 pages of the MF forum. Threads going back to 2014. One thread was regarding a knock off product probably some patent/copyright infringement issues.

So it is actually "lollipops and sunshine!"

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

:eek:
Actually no. I just slogged through that thread again and you're completely wrong about the tone of the thread. It was more or less civil up to the last few comments when a Leica fanboy took it to another level, but the thread was closed to all instead of a warning to the poster of that comment. That thread was a wakeup call to potential buyers of the S and could prove useful for others. Not to mention pointing Leica reps to take a look into market research of their products. The thread starts with one owners significant complaints and investment that quickly turned into a Leica S support group. So, I stand by my comment and I keep everything civil, respectful and within a reasonable tone, but if you're not allowed to vent frustrations with particular gear you rely on for work, hobby or other, then what's the point. No, this isn't DP review (thankfully), but there's a lot of brand loyal snowflakes in here that need to understand not everyone has disposable income with the ability to move to other gear. When choosing a camera system, brand loyalty results from informative research, others recommendations, and a good track record of reliability. Let's not be apprehensive about being objective on this forum too. If you've got something to share about your gear that might help others form an opinion, then say it within a reasonable amount of decorum. And that is not BS.
Bottom line a moderator made a judgement call and GetDPI will always stand behind that. If you think that is censorship than so be it, we know it was a civil issue. Our forum our rules and you have to abide by them. I can't paint it any better than that. i suggest you read the rules carefully it also includes more than just the no hassle rule. We started this forum in good faith than had to start adding rules. Every forum has them but GetDPI actually does enforce them unlike many others. That's all I'm going to say on this subject.

Guy Mancuso

What does this mean?

BTW - there are exactly 4 threads that appear to be locked on the first 25 pages of the MF forum. Threads going back to 2014. One thread was regarding a knock off product probably some patent/copyright infringement issues.

Enjoy!
As a USA based forum with Photographers from the USA like me, copyright and infringement issues will not be allowed here. I may have Jack put that in the rules. It's a sacred subject that protect our business here in this country and we did get a lot of complaints on it, so we shut it down. You can all blame me for that one, my call I believe.

Jamgolf

As a USA based forum with Photographers from the USA like me, copyright and infringement issues will not be allowed here. I may have Jack put that in the rules. It's a sacred subject that protect our business here in this country and we did get a lot of complaints on it, so we shut it down. You can all blame me for that one, my call I believe.
You are exactly right, Guy !
My point being threads are rarely closed here and when they are closed there is a valid reason. So, the picture of excessive censorship being painted is just not correct.

jdphoto

What does this mean?

Enjoy!
The point is, that it seems that when enough people get offended about their brands being dissed, the thread takes a different tone altogether. It becomes personal. When brand loyalists have had enough the pitch forks and torches come out to drive the dissenters away. And it's usually the dissenters who are the canary in the coal mine. Let's not forget that there's several sponsors who also post here and hawk there products openly in the forums. Does that seem objective? Also, I have no idea what you mean about copyright infringement. That has no bearing on my comments. We need as a collective forum to be more understanding with others right to express themselves if it applies to the rules. We all don't need to holds hands either.

V

Vivek

The point is, that it seems that when enough people get offended about their brands being dissed, the thread takes a different tone altogether. It becomes personal. When brand loyalists have had enough the pitch forks and torches come out to drive the dissenters away. And it's usually the dissenters who are the canary in the coal mine. Let's not forget that there's several sponsors who also post here and hawk there products openly in the forums. Does that seem objective? Also, I have no idea what you mean about copyright infringement. That has no bearing on my comments. We need as a collective forum to be more understanding with others right to express themselves if it applies to the rules. We all don't need to holds hands either.
Now you have two threads running on criticising this forum.

Have you thought about taking up the issues of your concern with the admins of this site via appropriate channels?

That might help your cause and also be easy on others perusing this forum.

Guy Mancuso

Our sponsors on this site are very welcome and also encouraged to participate in any part of the forums but they have there own set of rules to abide by and everyone of them has followed those rules to the letter. They are not only sponsors but photographers and employees of these sponsors and are invited to participate in all our discussions as this is a private forum open to the public. No matter how YOU may look at them we have a different view as they are 99.99 percent of the time helpful to our members. End of day that's all that counts.

You do seem to have many issues how things are runned around here. Instead of keep bashing GetDPI in public ( which BTW is not the smartest thing to do, we are humans behind this wall you know) maybe send Bob and Jack your thoughts. I'll gracefully leave this thread now. This is tiring

Guy Mancuso

Now you have two threads running on criticising this forum.

Have you thought about taking up the issues of your concern with the admins of this site via appropriate channels?

That might help your cause and also be easy on others perusing this forum.
Well said and agree we posted the same time so just saw your response. Thanks