The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Silly question on Hasselblad abbreviation 'DPS' what it stands for?

MedFormat

Hi amazing forum,

I got attention to details and got curious what DPS stands for on this fine Hasselblad product below

72534 : Hasselblad Magnifying Hood 4x4 DPS For Digital Backs

Intelligent guess tells me that D could be a Digital.

Since field of view is no longer 6x6cm but rather 4x4cm could S mean Sub-sized?

Then, could P mean Preview ?

Anyone knows for sure for is 'DPS' stands for?

Bidding good weekend to everyone :) and thanks in advance.

Last edited:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
NO SILLY QUESTION

I have and use that magnifying viewer since ages but don't know what DPS stands for either .

I had a look in Richard Nordin's Compendium (version II) and also in Ernst Wildi's Manual Book (last version) but could not find an answer .
Currently , there is no access to the HASSELBLAD manual library on the HASSELBLAD home page .
So I am interested in an answer as well .

MedFormat

I have and use that magnifying viewer since ages but don't know what DPS stands for either .
Thank you, Jurgen.

I've google a bit more and I suspect DPS could mean something purely in the optics industry as I seen these products:

Olympus Trooper 7×35 DPS I Binoculars
Olympus Trooper 8×40 DPS I Binoculars
Olympus Trooper 10×50 DPS I Binoculars

Satrycon

electro optical surfaces/materials >

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamaterial

Double positive medium

Double positive mediums (DPS) do occur in nature, such as naturally occurring dielectrics. Permittivity and magnetic permeability are both positive and wave propagation is in the forward direction. Artificial materials have been fabricated which combine DPS, ENG and MNG properties.

tjv

Although it sounds very cool, I seriously doubt it applies to the optics. Unless you can explain a bit more ?

'Digital Production System' would be more plausible, or even 'Digital Pixel Sensor'... no ?
Digital Profile Solution?

jerome_m

Hasselblad prism finders were called PME, apparently for "Prism Meter Electronic"

DPS could be a similar naming scheme:

D for "Direct" or "Digital" or ?

P for "Power" or "Preview" or ?

S for "Size" or "Screen" or "Solution" or ?

The letters should represent the features of the viewfinder (Prism-less, reduced size for digital, availability of correction lenses, directly placed on screen...).

fotografz

I'm pretty sure PME doesn't stand for "Prism Metered Electronic" because there are PM finder versions with and without a meter ... PM45 and PME45 for example. It may be that PM stands for PrisM (??????)

Who knows what DPS may stand for ... maybe D stands for Diopter ... more likely these naming conventions are just that, naming conventions with a possible use of Swedish words being abbreviated (IF they are even abbreviations).

Now I am intrigued as to the meaning of DPS just like everyone else :)

- Marc

Satrycon

in the wiki link it explains how some surfaces are created for better transmission of light etc..so i assume it applies to the lens optics surfaces

Although it sounds very cool, I seriously doubt it applies to the optics. Unless you can explain a bit more ?

'Digital Production System' would be more plausible, or even 'Digital Pixel Sensor'... no ?