The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One: Image Quality of unsupported DNG in C1 vs Lightroom

etto72

As you may know, in a recent post I expressed my difficult situation being a long time user of Capture One and waiting for the Hasselblad X1D to arrive.

I said that although I respect Phase One position with their policy of not supporting and profiling camera raws from competitive brands, I am very sad that they intentionally block the converted DNGs from those files.

I showed that with a little trick Capture One 10 is perfectly capable to read and editi all DNG 1.4 files from any of those cameras but
many of you have pointed out if it's really worth doing that rather then switching to LR, assuming that the quality will be clearly lower!

I have placed on my drop box one DNG which can be open also with C1 (this time is a DNG from the Pentax 645Z and the trick is cancelling the word "645Z")
plus I added two full size Jpgs, one exported from LR and the other from C1

No change in sharpening applied, only Lens correction checked on both software (including diffraction)

I have also added the original Hasselblad fff Raw file and the hacked DNG + the exported Jpg from both software
since several of you asked for it :D

I would really appreciate your frank opinion !
..but from I see despite the not being supported the DNGs look pretty good to me

Many thanks for your passion to you all

Ettore

Last edited:

JeRuFo

I can't look at the files right now, I'm on a tablet with a terrible screen, but I'm not sure that it matters what other people see or can get out of the file. Choosing your tools is personal. Maybe one editor is 'better' based on the possible image quality, but there are many aspects to the choice, like the image library, speed, stability, specific tools you need. But most of all your familiarity with C1, which probably makes it possible for you to get more out of a file in C1 than in Lightroom consistently.
Since you already have and are familiar with C1 I would just use it for as long as it works and if Phase One does decide to throw a spanner in the works in the future, or Lightroom gets more perks from working with Hasselblad, you can always switch then.

I personally use Lightroom for lighter and higher volume stuff (family or other social events) and mostly use C1 for my slower, more deliberate images. In my opinion images in C1 just look slightly more organic and sparkle a little where images in LR turn slightly dull and muddy on me sometimes. That said, if I delve deep into getting the colors and contrast just right, I can get them looking pretty much the way I want in Lightroom. It just feels like it's an extra step in LR where it seems better integrated in the basic functions in C1.

thrice

It's just the pre-cooking in C1 that adds sharpness, saturation, clarity and contrast to a small degree to all files at default.
I made a profile for LR where I get the exact same starting point as C1. Takes one click and then I get the much more intuitive editing controls, vastly superior cataloging and smug satisfaction of using LR :)

Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nj76ex9lz5p5aha/Capture One Baseline.lrtemplate?dl=0

It's not perfect but it seems to get pretty much every 'advantage' of the Capture One starting point (extra sharpening, contrast and a slight hue shift to greens).
I actually dialled back the sharpening from the C1 default, because with half-decent glass it is too much.

Last edited:

JeRuFo

It's just the pre-cooking in C1 that adds sharpness, saturation, clarity and contrast to a small degree to all files at default.
I made a profile for LR where I get the exact same starting point as C1. Takes one click and then I get the much more intuitive editing controls, vastly superior cataloging and smug satisfaction of using LR :)
Yes, that is why I use LR on high volume stuff too, the basic editing is much faster. But after the first minute I find C1 gets the upper hand with its precise color controls etc. LR gets me close to how I want it the quickest, but C1 gets me there exactly.

All that matters is that you should try something else when you're not happy, but probably only then. I understand that MF digital is about getting the most out of a camera, but I hope that the X1D and GFX might shift that focus slightly towards the joy of shooting and focussing on the possibilities that these cameras bring and give people creative ideas. The cameras are now so good that we don't have to focus on them as much anymore and so relatively affordable that it might be easier to accept a flaw as character and the need to get your moneys worth fades to the background a bit.

algrove

Sorry for this basic question.

Has anyone heard of a viable work around for files from unsupported cameras in C1 allowing one to use C1? Is each camera file treated differently?

hcubell

Is it possible to use the profile for Phase One digital backs that use the same 50MP Sony sensor?

hcubell

As you may know, in a recent post I expressed my difficult situation being a long time user of Capture One and waiting for the Hasselblad X1D to arrive.

I said that although I respect Phase One position with their policy of not supporting and profiling camera raws from competitive brands, I am very sad that they intentionally block the converted DNGs from those files.

I showed that with a little trick Capture One 10 is perfectly capable to read and editi all DNG 1.4 files from any of those cameras but
many of you have pointed out if it's really worth doing that rather then switching to LR, assuming that the quality will be clearly lower!

I have placed on my drop box one DNG which can be open also with C1 (this time is a DNG from the Pentax 645Z and the trick is cancelling the word "645Z")
plus I added two full size Jpgs, one exported from LR and the other from C1

No change in sharpening applied, only Lens correction checked on both software (including diffraction)

I have also added the original Hasselblad fff Raw file and the hacked DNG + the exported Jpg from both software
since several of you asked for it :D

I would really appreciate your frank opinion !
..but from I see despite the not being supported the DNGs look pretty good to me

Many thanks for your passion to you all

Ettore
It would be interesting to see the comparison using Phocus as well for the X1D file.