The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Cambo Actus dedicated for the Fuji GFX.

Steve Hendrix

Cambo announced a version of the Actus camera aimed exclusively to be used with the Fuji GFX.

https://creativityinnovationsuccess...fx-50s-with-cambo-actus-gfx-mini-view-camera/

The new camera "has more in common with the Actus DB-2 than with the Actus mini" Cambo says. This should mean that one can't just change the mount on his Actus mini and add a mount for the GFX, but more modifications are required on the existing Actus mini.

Similarly to the manner in which you can update the Actus Mini to the Actus DB 2 (remove 1 screw from the top and 4 screws from the underside of the rail), an Actus Mini can also be upgraded to the Actus-GFX. This paves way for the increased size and height of the rear bayonet, and the addition of the riser extension for the front standard.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Front standard remove.jpgRear standard remove.jpg

Iktinos

Not Available
It seems to me that one can still use the GFX mount on the Actus mini (without any conversion required) but he will loose some mm on the range if he fully "drops" the camera on the rear standard. Is that correct?

CAMBOUSA

It seems to me that one can still use the GFX mount on the Actus mini (without any conversion required) but he will loose some mm on the range if he fully "drops" the camera on the rear standard. Is that correct?
The Actus-GFX relies on a newly designed rear standard because of the size of the GFX's bayonet compared to previously existing Mirrorless/DSLR options.

An upgrade path will be available for current Actus Mini users to upgrade to the GFX platform as Steve mentioned below.

After the upgrade you can still use your previous camera bodies by replacing the larger rear GFX standard with the new AC-78E Rear standard + bayonet of choice.

Iktinos

Not Available
The Actus-GFX relies on a newly designed rear standard because of the size of the GFX's bayonet compared to previously existing Mirrorless/DSLR options.

An upgrade path will be available for current Actus Mini users to upgrade to the GFX platform as Steve mentioned below.

After the upgrade you can still use your previous camera bodies by replacing the larger rear GFX standard with the new AC-78E Rear standard + bayonet of choice.
Does this mean that one will be able to buy an Actus for the GFX in the first place, but order it with Sony a7 mount instead?

I still don't understand how difficult it is for Hasselblad to add Electronic Shutter to their X1D via a firmware update. They are losing the adapters' market just because they don't do this.

CAMBOUSA

great news. and knowing Cambo it will not be stratospheric in price to upgrade an actus mini either.
They will be available for order from your local Cambo dealer starting tomorrow at an MSRP of $1345 for the ACB-980 upgrade kit. Shipping soon after.

Does this mean that one will be able to buy an Actus for the GFX in the first place, but order it with Sony a7 mount instead?
The Actus-GFX will have a new rear standard that is detachable. If you already have an Actus with the Sony mount, it will be possible to order a new part AC-78E (price coming soon) that allows you to use your existing Sony camera with the new Actus-GFX. Just remove the four screws attaching the bayonet to your current Actus, and replace it on the upper portion of the rear standard shown below.

Bayonet_w.jpg

Iktinos

Not Available
They will be available for order from your local Cambo dealer starting tomorrow at an MSRP of $1345 for the ACB-980 upgrade kit. Shipping soon after.

The Actus-GFX will have a new rear standard that is detachable. If you already have an Actus with the Sony mount, it will be possible to order a new part AC-78E (price coming soon) that allows you to use your existing Sony camera with the new Actus-GFX. Just remove the four screws attaching the bayonet to your current Actus, and replace it on the upper portion of the rear standard shown below.

View attachment 125199
My question was different though... If I may repeat it, will somebody be able to buy the Actus for the GFX in the first place but order it with a Sony a7 mount?

CAMBOUSA

My question was different though... If I may repeat it, will somebody be able to buy the Actus for the GFX in the first place but order it with a Sony a7 mount?
It won't be a regularly offered item, but a special order may be able to be worked out. Please email (Info@[username].com) or PM me, and I'll see what I can arrange for you and your local dealer.

Iktinos

Not Available
It won't be a regularly offered item, but a special order may be able to be worked out. Please email (Info@[username].com) or PM me, and I'll see what I can arrange for you and your local dealer.
Thank you, two more questions please:

1. Is there a provision for MFDB mount on the rear standard of the Actus GFX?

2. Will there be a new electronic lens board dedicated for Canon Eos lenses for the Actus - GFX? (I believe there is incompatibility with the current one with the GFX's grip, if the GFX is turned to "portrait" orientation.)

CAMBOUSA

1. Is there a provision for MFDB mount on the rear standard of the Actus GFX?
Not at this time. There is a possible solution, however it is not as easy as the swappable bayonet that currently exists. The ACDB-951 upgrade kit from Actus Mini to Actus DB-2 would contain the appropriate rear standard, however to swap back and forth would require the removal of 4 screws on the under side of the unit (See Steve Hendrix's Post earlier in the thread he shows the correct screws)

2. Will there be a new electronic lens board dedicated for Canon Eos lenses for the Actus - GFX? (I believe there is incompatibility with the current one with the GFX's grip, if the GFX is turned to "portrait" orientation.)
At this time due to the flange distance between the bayonet and sensor it does not appear that the Canon adapter will work at all with the GFX. Physically it would fit, but the camera will not be able to focus. The recommended lens options are as follows:

Copal 0
Copal 1 (#3 on request)
Hasselblad C Bayonet
Mamiya 645 ProTL bayonet
Mamiya RZ/RB bayonet
Pentax 645 bayonet

Of course I will be publishing updates as I get more information!

Connor Ray

I would love an upgrade path for the Actus-DBII. It looks like that the camera/DB mount is the only thing that differs? I have a brand new DBII that I never used because I found a cheap WRS-5000 that I'm using instead. I was going to sell it but if I could upgrade it to fit the GFX...

Iktinos

Not Available
I would love an upgrade path for the Actus-DBII. It looks like that the camera/DB mount is the only thing that differs? I have a brand new DBII that I never used because I found a cheap WRS-5000 that I'm using instead. I was going to sell it but if I could upgrade it to fit the GFX...
Surely the GFX (circular) frame required for the Actus, is much more wider in diameter than what is required for the Sony α7 as to be mounted and can easily accept in its internal radius all MFDB sensors, the Sony 54x40.5mm 100mp one included.

Therefore it shouldn't be difficult for Cambo to come up with an MFDB attachment which would use the same rear frame as it is for the GFX (without the GFX mount bolted on) and even use the same mechanism as to rotate the back in "landscape" or "portrait" orientation. There would even be the same bellows required!

It makes therefore more sense IMO, if they discontinue the DBII altogether and come with a "universal" solution based on the GFX, which would then be user interchangeable from Actus mini, to Actus GFX and even to Actus DBII without any conversions required what so ever.

tjv

If the GFX is not supported in Capture One, what will people use to perform LCCs? Is the Lightroom plugin working in the latest version of CC again, or will people use another piece of software?

CAMBOUSA

Let me ask about this, I have a feeling this would be very possible. I'll update when I learn more!

Iktinos

Not Available
If the GFX is not supported in Capture One, what will people use to perform LCCs? Is the Lightroom plugin working in the latest version of CC again, or will people use another piece of software?
Other than Hasselblad's Phocus software offering LCC's too, most of WA lenses from Rodenstock or Schneider have their rear element protruding to the extend that it will be recessed into the GFX mount, making it extremely dangerous to use with the camera.

I believe that its best if one sticks with retrofocus lenses aimed for (MF or FF) DSLRs that have their element distant to more than 60mm from the image area, or with the Actar series of lenses when it comes down to use WA lenses with the GFX. There should be no LCC required with this type of lenses.

still not the best sensor when using lens movements !
Most people seem really excited about the new Cambo Actus for the GFX, but I have seen a few people saying there won't be a lot of lenses to cover the sensor nor software to correct the various colour casts which happens when you tilt/shift etc.

Someone who knows their stuff care to help me out here or should I call my Cambo dealer to order one straight away? :)

Iktinos

Not Available
Most people seem really excited about the new Cambo Actus for the GFX, but I have seen a few people saying there won't be a lot of lenses to cover the sensor nor software to correct the various colour casts which happens when you tilt/shift etc.

Someone who knows their stuff care to help me out here or should I call my Cambo dealer to order one straight away? :)
The Hasselblad 24mm f4.8 and the Pentax 25mm f4 (perhaps to a lesser extend) should provide quality that would compete with the best of UWA lenses from Rodenstock or Schneider and then there are lenses like the Nikkor 19mm. All these and more from the same or other makers are "strong" retrofocus designs that should require no LCC corrections.

Lens choices then multiply with the focal length increase.

I believe that we are in the cross-roads where the "traditional" lens choice for use with technical cameras will change significantly from the past towards sharing common lenses with the platform one uses and then, the technical camera market (for modern designs) will expand significantly following a parallel path to the MF market expansion.