The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D available from stock in London

tashley

Subscriber Member
I was at Teamwork this morning looking at IQ3 100 and XF and I mentioned that I was interested because my X1D was a no show. They said 'oh, we have one of those in stock' but, astonishingly, just as I was about to buy it on the spot my usual dealer called to tell me that mine had just arrived. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and will swap out the 45mm for a 30mm that also came in.

So Teamwork have one in stock, ready to go. I tipped Erik off but he's decided to go with the GFX. anyone who needs it, give them a call and ask for Steve.

Steve is a very good and reliable Phase One dealer. It's even better if he starts to sell Hasselblad as well, which means he's not biased towards a certain brand.

Did you pre-order your X1D from Paula at Linhof Studio?

tashley

Subscriber Member
Steve is a very good and reliable Phase One dealer. It's even better if he starts to sell Hasselblad as well, which means he's not biased towards a certain brand.

Did you pre-order your X1D from Paula at Linhof Studio?
No, I got all my Alpa/ Rodenstock stuff from her, she's great. Historically all my Phase gear has come from Teamwork and they really know their stuff. The Hassy I ordered from Park Cameras who are my regular dealer, who never complain about a return or question you if you say a lens is faulty - and they are only a 30 minute drive from where I mostly live.

No, I got all my Alpa/ Rodenstock stuff from her, she's great. Historically all my Phase gear has come from Teamwork and they really know their stuff. The Hassy I ordered from Park Cameras who are my regular dealer, who never complain about a return or question you if you say a lens is faulty - and they are only a 30 minute drive from where I mostly live.
Paula has been very helpful and patient with me building up my small collection of Alpa / Rodenstock / Schneider.

I got my Nikon telephoto lenses from Park Cameras, but because I was picky regarding the shape of diaphragm and returned a 200mm f/2.0, they were reluctant to sell me the Nikon D810A (their sales manager called me before shipment because they clearly didn't want me to return it). I have just realised that they are now also selling Hasselblad X1D and Leica M10.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Paula has been very helpful and patient with me building up my small collection of Alpa / Rodenstock / Schneider.

I got my Nikon telephoto lenses from Park Cameras, but because I was picky regarding the shape of diaphragm and returned a 200mm f/2.0, they were reluctant to sell me the Nikon D810A (their sales manager called me before shipment because they clearly didn't want me to return it). I have just realised that they are now also selling Hasselblad X1D and Leica M10.
Interesting. My looong process of building a functioning set of lenses for the A7R involved many returns for decentered glass, as did my search for good copies of one particular Sigma lens, and they never batted an eyelid. They know me quite well though, and they know that I know a bad lens when I see it!

I was at Teamwork this morning looking at IQ3 100 and XF and I mentioned that I was interested because my X1D was a no show. They said 'oh, we have one of those in stock' but, astonishingly, just as I was about to buy it on the spot my usual dealer called to tell me that mine had just arrived. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow and will swap out the 45mm for a 30mm that also came in.

So Teamwork have one in stock, ready to go. I tipped Erik off but he's decided to go with the GFX. anyone who needs it, give them a call and ask for Steve.
Congrats!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Interesting. My looong process of building a functioning set of lenses for the A7R involved many returns for decentered glass, as did my search for good copies of one particular Sigma lens, and they never batted an eyelid. They know me quite well though, and they know that I know a bad lens when I see it!
Recently I've returned 4 copies of Nikon 35mm f/1.4 G to various retailers (2 copies from Amazon UK, 1 copy from Wex Photographic and 1 copy from Currys) because all samples are decentered in the same way that the left-hand-side is sharper further away from the camera. It's definitely not an issue with my camera body or mount because none of my other Nikon lenses are decentered like this (24mm, 58mm, 60mm, 85mm).

My guess is that if I keep returning lenses like this, then they will probably close my account and refuse to accept further orders from me. This leaves me in a very difficult situation to get a good copy of the Nikon 35mm f/1.4 G lens.

I can't imagine how much harassment it will bring when I try to find a good copy of the newly announced Sigma 14mm f/1.8 Art. According to my previous experience with Sigma Art lenses, their quality control is even worse than that of Nikon's.

For comparison, Alpa's lenses are definitely of higher quality control, and the service is also superb.

JeRuFo

Recently I've returned 4 copies of Nikon 35mm f/1.4 G to various retailers (2 copies from Amazon UK, 1 copy from Wex Photographic and 1 copy from Currys) because all samples are decentered in the same way that the left-hand-side is sharper further away from the camera. It's definitely not an issue with my camera body or mount because none of my other Nikon lenses are decentered like this (24mm, 58mm, 60mm, 85mm).

My guess is that if I keep returning lenses like this, then they will probably close my account and refuse to accept further orders from me. This leaves me in a very difficult situation to get a good copy of the Nikon 35mm f/1.4 G lens.

I can't imagine how much harassment it will bring when I try to find a good copy of the newly announced Sigma 14mm f/1.8 Art. According to my previous experience with Sigma Art lenses, their quality control is even worse than that of Nikon's.

For comparison, Alpa's lenses are definitely of higher quality control, and the service is also superb.
If you are worried about ordering again, why not go to your dealer and ask to test 2 or 3 copies against eachother there. At my local dealer I see people doing this quite often. This is for you and them far easier than returning lenses all the time.

If you are worried about ordering again, why not go to your dealer and ask to test 2 or 3 copies against eachother there. At my local dealer I see people doing this quite often. This is for you and them far easier than returning lenses all the time.
Unfortunately there is no big camera shop nearby, and small camera shops do not stock f/1.4 lenses. Even big camera shops in London won't have many copies of f/1.4 lenses in stock. Besides, only small camera shops are nice enough to allow me to try a few samples and pick one, while big camera shops generally don't bother with such requests.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Unfortunately there is no big camera shop nearby, and small camera shops do not stock f/1.4 lenses. Even big camera shops in London won't have many copies of f/1.4 lenses in stock. Besides, only small camera shops are nice enough to allow me to try a few samples and pick one, while big camera shops generally don't bother with such requests.
Really, try Park Cameras.

Alternatively, get a copy that is decentered and send it to Nikon. They once got so annoyed with me returning the same copy of a 24-120 with good example files of the problem that they have me a 24-70 f2.8 as a replacement. Never get embarrassed, always explain clearly and with evidence. It's exhausting.

algrove

I would certainly hope Alpa lenses are of better quality considering pricing. Glad to hear their service is superb.