The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New XCD lenses

Chris1977

This is great news if true. For me I can make the perfect set for my needs, 30mm, 45mm since I tend to prefer wide, but also the 120mm for portraits. Go Hasselblad!

Looks good. I like that it's described as compact and I think they will continue to make them as small as possible for us, without compromising optical integrity. I mean, it won't be tiny because it's a 120 macro, but basically looks to be a much longer 90 in terms of size. I assume they decided to not make the zoom go to 90 like the H zoom, in order to keep the size down as well.

jduncan

Anyone else catch this?

Hasselblad Introduces New Hasselblad 120mm f3.5 Macro Lens for the X1D

I don't see an official announcement, but according to the article Hasselblad is announcing a 120mm f/3.5 macro and has plans for:

22mm
65mm
35-75mm zoom

There's also a post on the GFX Facebook group about a mirrorless rumors article with the same info
Hi,

Thanks for sharing.
We need one fast glass for portraits. Or make autofocus work with HC lenses.
I was hoping for a 135mm f2.0 or f2.8. But they seem to be moving.
Personally, I am planning on using the X1D to complement my Nikon and will be using it for people with flash, or cityscapes where light is less important.
But the system needs one to be compelling.

Best regards,

----
It's not really a macro, so maybe for them this is the medium fast telephoto :
hasselblad_officialIntroducing the Hasselblad XCD 3.5/120mm Macro lens – First out of 4 additional XCD lenses! – Providing a new versatility to the X1D user, the lens is suitable for both close-up work up to a 1:2 image scale, and also as a mid-range telephoto lens for portrait

hcubell

Looks good. I like that it's described as compact and I think they will continue to make them as small as possible for us, without compromising optical integrity. I mean, it won't be tiny because it's a 120 macro, but basically looks to be a much longer 90 in terms of size. I assume they decided to not make the zoom go to 90 like the H zoom, in order to keep the size down as well.
The new 120 Macro XCD lens weighs 2.1 pounds. The 120 HC Macro weighs 3.1 pounds; it's 50% heavier.
The XCD zoom actually covers the same basic range as the 55-110MM HC zoom. Using a .6 crop factor for the HC zoom, it covers 30MM-66MM. The XCD 35-75 covers 28MM-60MM.
There are important trade offs in size and weight that Hasselblad has to consider in designing these lenses. Faster lenses means bigger and heavier. Longer lenses means bigger and heavier. Fast and long means much bigger and heavier. I remember the way Sony started off with its initial lenses for the A7 series. Slow, small and light. Later, fast, big and heavy. I get what Hasselblad has done, given its design intent with the X1D. However, I do expect that they will come out with at least one faster lens. Perhaps the 65mm lens will be a f/2 or 2.2.
Dis Hasselblad initially state that they would releasing 5 more lenses in 2017?

tjv

It's all getting very tempting for me...

Would like to try the X1D out in the wide some time to see how the AF etc works in dim / dark environments.

jduncan

Here's the 120:
Hi,

Thanks, I believe that calling it a macro is an error. It's a 1:2 lens. Even so it loses light at close distances, like most macros do.
So it's a name issue.
It looks beatiful. Based on the current lenses I expect top notch performance.
Any news on autofucus for thr HC lenses ?

Best regards,

Arjuna

I think that only the 45 mm and 90 mm were part of the original announcement, so the 30 mm might count as the first of five additional lenses in 2017.

bcambern

Happy to see the roadmap finally taking shape. The macro looks interesting and the additional lenses announced will fill in the range nicely. It's a shame though that of the 4 lenses for which we have specs there are 3 different filter sizes. Would be nice to have more overlap but I understand that the lens design takes priority. Can't wait for mine to arrive!

Godfrey

Thanks, I believe that calling it a macro is an error. It's a 1:2 lens. Even so it loses light at close distances, like most macros do.
So it's a name issue. ...
The fact that the lens mount runs it to 1:2 magnification does not diminish the fact that it is a lens corrected for photomacrography. MOST macro lenses longer than 35mm with helicoid focusing mounts, unless for much smaller formats (like Micro-FourThirds), run to 1:2 magnification and utilize a dedicated extension tube or front element additional lens to allow them to go to 1:1. This is because the range from 1:1 to 1:2 requires twice again as much extension as the range from infinity focus to 1:2 magnification, and building in that long a helicoid becomes overly heavy and suspect to instability, undermining the ability to achieve best performance from the lens.

G