The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX 50s first impressions

marc aurel

Fuji GFX first impressions - some images:

Some samples. Still JPGs straight out of camera. Intention was not too make beautiful images but to evaluate certain things.
Crops are around 1000x1000 pixels. In my browser they are shown larger than that pixel count. I don't know where my mistake is. So make sure you look at the crops at the right scale.

1. Sharpness and clarity of the GFX with 63mm f2.8:
Trees, handheld, f9.0, 1/110th of a second, ISO 100.
Full image + 100% crop from center + 100% crop from top right corner.
To me sharpness and clarity of that lens on the GFX is very convincing.

2. High iso noise behaviour and out of focus highlights with the 63mm f2.8:
Distant lights at a canal, handheld, f2.8, 1/40th of a second, ISO 1600.
Full image + 100% crop.
Out of focus highlights are very evenly lit. Shape changes to cat's eye further to the corner, but not too bad for that focal lengths I would say. Noise is hard to evaluate from a JPG. But for ISO 1600: quite good.

Could not find a way to put them in the right order. Sorry for that.

Attachments

Last edited:

algrove

Marc
Great comments and thanks so much.

Per the XT2 for EVF brightness control you might want to turn off Auto EVF brightness and go Manual with setting of zero because it tends to show an overly bright live view image in bright sunlight and a very subdued image when it's dark and also do the same for LCD brightness settings.

Also Image Quality Setting/Dynamic Range/Auto lets the camera to automatically determine whether or not a scene requires an extra stop of DR. This is the deafult setting and seems to work well on XT2's.

Also be aware that perhaps with this camera like with the XT2, Natural Live View extends highlight DR by 2 stops, rendering the live histogram inaccurate when shooting with DR100%, DR200% or DR-Auto dynamic range settings.

Quentin_Bargate

I collected my GFS 50s this afternoon, earlier than expected. I have only had an hour or two to test it out, so this is not a review but more an initial impression of a few points

- its lighter than expected. It's not light in absolute terms, but closer to a dslr than an standard medium format digital camera. You could use this beast walking around and not need a body building course first.

- only the F4 120mm macro lens was available for collection today, but judging from initial impressions, this is one great lens. Optical Image Stabilisation works very well indeed. I detected no significant CA. What a great portrait combination!

- Hooray, a medium format camera that is not stuck in a time warp. You've got 425 focus points to play with, reasonably fast contrast detection, very accurate focus that seems to work well in low light (on test subjects that are stationary). It's just slightly bigger than normal dslr and from the feature point of view, a match for them in most respects, not an embarrasing relic like some digital medium fomat cameras arguably are. Marc has covered high iso etc. So much better than most other MF cameras.

- EVF and the rear screen both work well, but I cannot really try them out in anger until the morning / weekend.

What I think is going to sell this camera to many portrait photographers is the excellent, fast, contrast detection autofocus coupled with the face and eye focus feature that lets you select left or right eye priority, coupled with a stabilized lens of the quality of the f4 120mm macro. No doubt the upcoming F2 potrait lens will also be a winner.

I am looking forward to the zoom when it is available in a few days time, and the tilting viewfinder adapter.

marc aurel

Fuji GFX first impressions - pushing RAWs:

Downloaded Iridient developer and did a quick test to evaluate dynamic range:
Fuji GFX, 63mm f2.8 prime at f8.0, ISO 100, RAW file
Standard development settings in Iridient developer
100% crops (screenshots).
First one original, second one with exposure pushed 3 stops
Wow.

Attachments

marc aurel

Fuji GFX first impressions - pushing RAWs II:

A second one:
Fuji GFX, 63mm f2.8 prime at f5.6, handheld at 1/55th of a second, ISO 100, RAW file
Standard development settings in Iridient developer
100% crops (screenshots).
First one original, second one with exposure pushed 5 stops

(not too fair to use the Canon as a model - but hey, the Fuji does this a bit better than my beloved 5DsR)

Attachments

stonebird

Thanks for sharing.

Fuji GFX first impressions - EVF and LCD:

From my 18 hours with a demo unit of the GFX I want to share some impressions and remarks. I won’t repeat things that I found in other hands-on-reviews and will concentrate more on random aspects I noticed that I liked or disliked.

EVF:

1. People who like EVFs often say it is because "what you see is what you get". I disagree. I am an architectural photographer and deal with high contrast situations and my final image is not what an EVF shows. I push and pull shadows and highlights a lot. That is why I still prefer optical finders to compose an image. But for liveview focusing this EVF is way better (my eyes can’t focus that close any more so from an LCD I have to move back a bit further than I wish). The diopter control works perfect on the EVF for me. So liveview focusing though the finder is very good on that camera.

2. With the GFX there are settings for highlight tone and shadow tone. These settings are reflected in the actual EVF image. Great! Shadows are not that blotchy as on other EVFs. Set both to minus values for best shadow and highlight recovery in the EVF. But it could still be better.

3. You could also push dynamic range settings up to 400%. It helps even more for evaluationg high contrast scenes in the EVF. BUT: extended dynamic range settings are only available when you use higher ISO settings than ISO 100, which degrades image quality. So sadly that is a no go for RAW shooters. FUJI - please think of a better solution.

4. Very good implentation of switching on and off the peaking feature: just press the rear command dial for a second. So easy. No menu stuff.

5. Very good idea: when you switch on the histogramm using a function button that will switch on highlight alert at the same time. I love that.

6. Not perfect: if you use an aperture stopdown button while you are in magnified liveview - image jumps back to full image. That is stupid. I want to be able to evaluate sharpness stopped down in magnified view. My 5DsR does that and it is so helpful.

7. And - yes (to repeat one thing that you can read in a lot of places): EVF resolution and magnification are great. Best EVF I have used in that respect. And yes, it has a bit more lag than smaller sensor EVFs because of the slower readout speed of the large sensor. I don’t care because I usually work from a tripod.

Touchscreen LCD:

1. Resolution and clarity of that display are amazing. Definitely better than the one on my 5DsR (and I like that a lot too).

2. The options for swiping and double tapping are all great and very intuitive, as described in other places.

3. When you double tap while reviewing images, the screen jumps to the used focus point. That is great for a lot of use cases. But there seems to be no option to make it jump to the part of the image you tapped on. That would be a useful option to choose from (firmware upgrade?)

drevil

Staff member
to the owners of the GFX, are there options for timelapse recordings? and if so, what are the limitations?
i.e. max. 999 shots?

Quentin_Bargate

From the JPEG, straight out of camera, noise free IS0400, perfect autofocus, Macro 120mm F/4 OIS @ F/4. Focus on the stamens right of centre.

Same file, developed from Raw in SilkyPix 8.

Last edited:

Paul2660

to the owners of the GFX, are there options for timelapse recordings? and if so, what are the limitations?
i.e. max. 999 shots?
The intervalometer on the GFX is like all other Fuji's, you are limited to only a 30 second max exposure, i.e. you can't use bulb for longer exposures. I was hoping Fuji would not do this and add the timer, it ain't that hard.

Hopefully a 3rd part intervalometer will work, like with the X-T2 via the USB port. I have read that the programing for the port and remotes is the same as on the X-T2.

Paul Caldwell

algrove

From the JPEG, straight out of camera, noise free IS0400, perfect autofocus, Macro 120mm F/4 OIS @ F/4. Focus on the stamens right of centre.

Same file, developed from Raw in SilkyPix 8.

I like the color saturation of th RAW. Is that how it looks in actuality or did your processing add some color saturation? They both have a painterly look.

Forgot to ask did you use the ES for these shots?

Quentin_Bargate

Front curtain, yes. Not full. Still very much in experimental mode. No saturation added, but witth SilkyPix, I get confused:eek:

PS SilkyPix has the same film type selections as the GFX does, such as Provia, Velvia, Astia etc. I think this was Provia. It's whacky software but you get used to it and it does a pretty decent job.

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

The Macro (a) focuses very accurately (b) has a *very* precise, long throw, manual focus mode and (c) virtually no CA. Just messing around with the camera, but super impressed with lens sharpness and absense of the usual faults, eg CA and colour artefacts.

ErikKaffehr

Hi Quentin,

Thanks for sharing! Stuff coming from you is always interesting!

Nice to hear you about your impression!

Best regards
Erik

The Macro (a) focuses very accurately (b) has a *very* precise, long throw, manual focus mode and (c) virtually no CA. Just messing around with the camera, but super impressed with lens sharpness and absense of the usual faults, eg CA and colour artefacts.

ErikKaffehr

Hi Marc,

Thanks for sharing.

Best regards
Erik

Fuji GFX first impressions - some images:

Some samples. Still JPGs straight out of camera. Intention was not too make beautiful images but to evaluate certain things.
Crops are around 1000x1000 pixels. In my browser they are shown larger than that pixel count. I don't know where my mistake is. So make sure you look at the crops at the right scale.

1. Sharpness and clarity of the GFX with 63mm f2.8:
Trees, handheld, f9.0, 1/110th of a second, ISO 100.
Full image + 100% crop from center + 100% crop from top right corner.
To me sharpness and clarity of that lens on the GFX is very convincing.

2. High iso noise behaviour and out of focus highlights with the 63mm f2.8:
Distant lights at a canal, handheld, f2.8, 1/40th of a second, ISO 1600.
Full image + 100% crop.
Out of focus highlights are very evenly lit. Shape changes to cat's eye further to the corner, but not too bad for that focal lengths I would say. Noise is hard to evaluate from a JPG. But for ISO 1600: quite good.

Could not find a way to put them in the right order. Sorry for that.

vjbelle

I didn't see it mentioned so thought I would post that Iridient Developer now supports the GFX.

Victor

dennishuang

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Does anybody have any experience with the Eye Detection autofocus?

Thanks in advance!

ErikKaffehr

Hi Quentin,

I got myself a 555/ELD once I found a P45+ at under 10000$US, something like four years ago. A friend shot that picture while we were taking pictures together.

Best regards
Erik

Thanks, Erik ;)

Is that an old 'Blad I see you with in your Avatar? Good to see you keeping it real :rolleyes:

Last edited:

algrove

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Does anybody have any experience with the Eye Detection autofocus?

Thanks in advance!
Dennis

I am awaiting delivery of my GFX. However, being a new user to the XT2, I found the Rico XT2 book an immense help in understanding and using XT2 menus. Those menus look nearly the same in the GFX so that book should also apply to GFX setup as least initially, including eye detection setup.