The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX 50s first impressions

iiiNelson

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Does anybody have any experience with the Eye Detection autofocus?

Thanks in advance!
There was a user report on Fuji Rumors (and YouTube videos) that said it worked but needs some tweaking for accuracy and speed.

iiiNelson

so when you get the GFX, what raw converter will be supplied along?
SilkyPix.

On1 RAW & Iridient Developer currently are two other options as of today with tumors that an Adobe update will be released this week to support the GFX (and I presume the X100F as well).

Quentin_Bargate

SilkyPix.

On1 RAW & Iridient Developer currently are two other options as of today with tumors that an Adobe update will be released this week to support the GFX (and I presume the X100F as well).
SilkyPix supports the GFX 50S, but it was not supplied with it.

vjbelle

Can anyone confirm that the LCD screen has Gorilla Glass? It would amaze me if it didn't but I see no mention of this on the Fuji site.

Victor

Edit: Or glass instead of plastic?

Last edited:

algrove

Did anyone see digiloyd's last rant on his GFX experience? I reminds me of his Leica Q rant where he screwed up his own images by not setting the camera up properly.

Perhaps he has a bad copy, but so far he would be the only one I have heard this from. Perhaps he simply missed the explanation of "Control Lock" on P5 of the Manual.

vjbelle

Did anyone see digiloyd's last rant on his GFX experience? I reminds me of his Leica Q rant where he screwed up his own images by not setting the camera up properly.

Perhaps he has a bad copy, but so far he would be the only one I have heard this from. Perhaps he simply missed the explanation of "Control Lock" on P5 of the Manual.
He is a 'LITTLE' over the top. Its a one way street on his site with little to no negative feedback allowed to be publicized unless its to his advantage. I don't give much credence to his rants.....

Victor

tashley

Subscriber Member
On the other hand he's often right... I just had a look a the Control Lock bit of the manual and it doesn't seem relevant to selecting continuous or single shot shooting but then it IS a very long manual for a very feature rich camera...

V

Vivek

It is possible that he is trying to push X1D.

Unfortunate for him, the camera is already in the hands of many people who can find out for themselves what it is capable of and its limits.

algrove

On the other hand he's often right... I just had a look a the Control Lock bit of the manual and it doesn't seem relevant to selecting continuous or single shot shooting but then it IS a very long manual for a very feature rich camera...
It does affect the Q settings (no pun intended here either) of the GFX though.

hcubell

Lloyd is the only reviewer in my view who actually pulls no punches in his reviews. I generally agree with most of what he has to say, with one caveat. Some of his complaints/criticisms are specific to the way Lloyd likes to work. He has very strong preferences. How can I disagree with him about the way he likes to work? However, I decide for myself whether and to what degree the issues he raises are a serious issue for me in using a camera system or a lens. Let's face it, every camera system and every lens has plusses and minuses, and we prioritize those plusses and minuses in different ways. Lloyd had a number of criticisms of the X1D in his ongoing review. The lack of a four way controller was a major gripe. I agree with him about that. I wish it had one. On the other hand, it's for me to decide whether the lack of a four way controller is so serious a problem that it outweighs all of the really good things about the X1D. I expect the same will be true of his review of the GFX. It's clear that Lloyd really dislikes the underlying design ethos of the User Interface of the GFX. Any surprise there? Any surprise that there are many, many photographers who agree? Yet, there are many photographers who are perfectly comfortable with the Fuji APS-C cameras, and the User Interface of the GFX as derived from those cameras is not a problem for them. They will focus on the versatility of the GFX and the expected, stellar image quality.

algrove

Since neither system has Zeiss lenses at least he can't push either brand based on lenses since he is in Zeiss's pocket after his trip to Germany a year or so ago.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
It does affect the Q settings (no pun intended here either) of the GFX though.
I had a similar problem with my Leica SL and it was a devil of a time figuring it out thru the manual .....because it wasn t a menu item . You had to use a function button which would bring up a mode symbol and then cycle thru the alternatives using the joy stick . The manual explained in excellent detail how each mode worked ..but never said how you might select one . You could push the function button all day and nothing happened until you engaged the joy stick . :banghead:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
He is a 'LITTLE' over the top. Its a one way street on his site with little to no negative feedback allowed to be publicized unless its to his advantage. I don't give much credence to his rants.....

Victor
I don't give ANY credence to his rants. Zero , zilch, nada.