The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

thoughts on architectural photography with Fujifilm GFX, image circle and lenses

Schafphoto

I am converting my Nikon system into a Fuji GFX with Canon shift lens hybrid.

There is now a Cambo GFX to Canon electronic adapter and the knockoff "Kipon Electronic Aperture Adapter for Canon EOS to Fuji GFX" version for under $300.
There is also a "Laowa Magic Format Converter GFX 50S" shift adapter that was supposed to be released in July but just surfaced on Ebay. I am thinking of trying them both and perhaps removing the teleconverter part of the laowa and only using it with lenses with larger IC’s.

-Schaf

Schafphoto

While looking on Ebay, I found this Linhof plate with a Fuji GFX adapter... Not that I need one but it was the best laugh I have had this week because of the translation... Check out the feathers like sphericity stitching and note that the plate will be locked with an auto hoodle.
(To be fair I would be a lot worse at trying to translate to Chinese!)

Adapter Plate for FUJI GFX 50S Lens Mount This adapter plate is professional designed for FUJI GFX 50S adapts to Linhof 6x9 Large Frame cameras. This Adapter Plate can connected digital back sensor to Linhof 6x9 large frame camera’s back. and do correction as tilt/shift/pan. Feathers: 1.Available for multi-times exposure and photo stitching tidily. It can reduce the error of distortion in the process of sphericity stitching. 2.Applied for FUJI GFX 50S camera lens, be compatible with Linhof 69 camera, lens base is large size Linhof 6x9 Camera. 3.Mount has rotate location function, can be 360°rotated with no limit, after each 90°rotate, the plate will be locked by auto hoodie.

-Schaf

mandonbossi

I am converting my Nikon system into a Fuji GFX with Canon shift lens hybrid.

There is now a Cambo GFX to Canon electronic adapter and the knockoff "Kipon Electronic Aperture Adapter for Canon EOS to Fuji GFX" version for under $300.
There is also a "Laowa Magic Format Converter GFX 50S" shift adapter that was supposed to be released in July but just surfaced on Ebay. I am thinking of trying them both and perhaps removing the teleconverter part of the laowa and only using it with lenses with larger IC’s.

-Schaf

I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that the "Laowa Magic Format Converter GFX 50S" is purely a "dumb" adapter and therefore you would not gain anything at all by removing the teleconverter part of it...

First and foremost, it is designed for existing Laowa lenses, like the Laowa 12mm Zero D and the 105mm f2 (as shown on the product description).

Unless I have read you wrong?

Better off sticking to one of the "smart" EF-GFX adapters and using your Canon lenses that way.

What I am curious about is whether it would work well with the Canon 17mm TS-E and 24mm TS-E (with the aperture preset to f11)? Obviously, this will bring degradation to the "overall" image but if it is increasing the image circle, would be nice to have more shift range (at the expense of overall sharpness). Might be worth it in some situations....

Then again, if it is designed to purely enlarge the image circle of a 35mm frame, maybe this will not work at all on the TS-E lenses that already start with a bigger image circle?

Sorry, bit of a ramble, maybe one of the more technically inclined members can chime in and answer..

Obviously would not know until it was tried in real life but I would be willing to experiment if it was possible at all...

:)

Schafphoto

Just did a very disappointing test of the Canon TS-E lenses on the GFX. The edges were very smeared.
However the Steelsring adapter worked flawlessly, I just put it on and the Aperture is set by the GFX and the metadata from the canon lenses is written to the image, focusing happens wide open and aperture closes for exposure electronically. I did not notice any battery drain as this adapter uses the camera's power.
The Steelsring also is very compact and actually makes using the fiddly Canon TS-E lenses easier to operate than on a Canon body because the controls are not tucked up against the body and under the prism.
I also had purchased a Kipon EOS to GFX (gray tumor) adaptor (copy of Cambo) with a tiny wheel, rechargeable battery and microscopic on/off switch (that will go back to Adorama tomorrow). I did not even put it on the camera. It is $200 less than the Steelsring adapter but does not transfer any metadata and the aperture of the EOS lens attached needs to be manually opened for metering and then closed for exposure.

-Schaf

Attachments

chrismuc

Just did a very disappointing test of the Canon TS-E lenses on the GFX. The edges were very smeared.
-Schaf
I think your expectations for the usage of the TSE17 are unrealistic.

Acc. my tests, the TSE17 has a sharp image circle of 58mm and a total image circle of 73mm. Using with the Fuji GFX with its 44x33mm sensor this allows 2mm horizontal shift or 3mm vertical shift (in landscape orientation of the camera) if sharp corners are required. If for example the upper corners of an architectural picture anyhow are only sky, one can use up to 11mm horizontal shift or 12mm vertical shift without vignetting of the lens.

Btw., the TSE24 has a sharp image circle of 62mm and a total image circle of 75mm. Therefore it allows a bit more movement: 4/5mm with sharp corners or 12/12mm within the total (but no longer sharp) image circle.

Schafphoto

I think your expectations for the usage of the TSE17 are unrealistic.

Acc. my tests, the TSE17 has a sharp image circle of 58mm and a total image circle of 73mm. Using with the Fuji GFX with its 44x33mm sensor this allows 2mm horizontal shift or 3mm vertical shift (in landscape orientation of the camera) if sharp corners are required.
I was looking at the unshifted 17 TS-E and unshifted 24 II TSE and saw corner smearing. Of course it gets worse when shifted. I also tested with a canon 5DSR at the same location and need to look at those images as well to see if perhaps it's a the GFX micro lenses on the sensor or the GFX protection glass in front or some combination. The 23mm GFX lens was spectacular in the corners of course, and so it would be nice if the unshifted Canons were at least close, but that may be where my expectations are unrealistic. ;-)

-Schaf

chrismuc

hmm ... unshifted ... strange
both TSE lenses should be very sharp corner to corner at f9.5 to f11

yes, the 23 might be slightly better because that lens is really good
but I never saw 'smearing' of the TSE lenses unshifted within the ø 55mm image circle of the 44x33mm sensor

I also never saw any smearing or color cast effect potentially caused by the protection/ultrasonic glass 9mm in front of the sensor by any lens from 17mm to 500mm.

One related topic: both TSE lenses show rather significant field couverture. So it is important to adjust the sharpness point in life view in an area near the sensor edge to achieve best sharpness there.

mandonbossi

I was looking at the unshifted 17 TS-E and unshifted 24 II TSE and saw corner smearing. Of course it gets worse when shifted. I also tested with a canon 5DSR at the same location and need to look at those images as well to see if perhaps it's a the GFX micro lenses on the sensor or the GFX protection glass in front or some combination. The 23mm GFX lens was spectacular in the corners of course, and so it would be nice if the unshifted Canons were at least close, but that may be where my expectations are unrealistic. ;-)

-Schaf
I agree with "chrismuc", never had any issues with the Canon 24mm TS-E II when unshifted and can get about 5mm or so of sharp shift with it...

I have had a few and they do vary a bit in quality...

Chrismuc, is there any chance that adding either the "Laowa Magic Converter" or even the Canon 1.4x converter to the 24mm TS-E II would give more "shift" by essentially enlarging the (already large) image circle?

Or am I way off track?

Schafphoto

hmm ... unshifted ... strange
One related topic: both TSE lenses show rather significant field couverture. So it is important to adjust the sharpness point in life view in an area near the sensor edge to achieve best sharpness there.
Well I was using the lenses at f8 and focusing in the exact center with 100% live view and focus peaking. Do you suggest another better way? I’ll do the tests again.

-Schaf

HiroshiS

Dear all,

I am considering getting the Mirex adaptor to use my Hasselblad V lenses. Since I also have a Nikon body I would get the Mirex Nikon version and then an additional adapter to the GFX. I was wondering whether I should expect any differences in the amount of available shift between the Nikon or Canon Mirex versions (because of differences in the opening or mount)? Or is the amount of shift that can be applied only determined by the image circle of the lens?

Thanks!

Schafphoto

New test.
I have a few different lenses that I tried on the GFX.
While the Fuji lenses are amazing on the GFX (even at wide open) my test of the Hasselblad CF T* 40mm FLE ay f11 and 16 shows very good results. (Compared to the 32-64mm zoom at 40mm).
First the GFX 32-64 at f8 (at around 41mm)

Attachments

Schafphoto

Here is the Carl Zeiss CF T* FLE 40mm at f11 on the GFX. My adapter was fixed so I was no able to test with the lens shifted, but the lens looks very corrected and sharp to the corners at f11.
At f5.6 the extreme corners are not great.

01_Fuji GFX50 40mmZeissT*FLE hassy -1734.jpg.

Schafphoto

Here is the 17mm Canon TS-E at 12mm full shift. The edge of the image circle is evident on the left of the image. I presume the vignetting on the right of the image is happening from some sort of vignette inside the Steelsring adapter or the GFX mount. I'm just guessing. In any case, the 17mm TSE lens should not have an acceptable image circle at this extreme shift, so unless the corners are only sky, this is more shift then we're supposed to get.

02_GFX 17mm at plus 12-1767.jpg

Schafphoto

Unless you like curvature on the edges, you can forget the 1.4X Canon Teleconverter on the 17mm TS-E. Here at f8. It is sharp in the center if that's good enough for you.

01_GFX-17mmCanon with Teleconverter -1782.jpg
17mm TSE combined with Canon 1.4X teleconverter III (the teleconverter does not show up in metadata)

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
That 23 is quite impressive! My most-used lens is the Leica S 24, and its extreme corners never clean up that well.

--Matt

alatreille

Hi all,

This is all very helpful - thank you!
I'm wondering if anyone else has had the chance to test the new Canon 50/90/135 TSEs

Do we know what their image circles are?

Thank you very much.

Cheers

Andrew

marc aurel

Hi all,

This is all very helpful - thank you!
I'm wondering if anyone else has had the chance to test the new Canon 50/90/135 TSEs

Do we know what their image circles are?

Thank you very much.

Cheers

Andrew
The TS-E 90mm L is excellent on the GFX: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4245696
No vignetting on the GFX with full shift to the long side. Sharp across the whole frame - right into the corners at full shift.
Best shift lens I have used so far.
Marc