The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

thoughts on architectural photography with Fujifilm GFX, image circle and lenses

haihan

Hello free1000,

Yes, I have been using the HD DFA 35mm in my professional work extensively.

The distortion on Pentax 645 HD DFA 35mm is very minimal and can be easily saved by a few settings, it's sharper and less CA at the corner compared to the A version. The A version not only have a curve back up mustache distortion but also very mushy at the corner, totally unusable IMHO.

cheers!

Thats good news.

I was wondering, since your post last December showing the Pentax 35 lens have you continued to shoot with it much? I notice you mention the Pentax HD D FA above, do you find the distortion acceptable? I'm mostly concerned with how this would handle shots perpendicular to an elevation where there are a lot of straight lines that can easily show the wave distortion in this kind of optic.

In the end you preferred the FA version of that lens to the Manual A version, why was that? The A version can be purchased for a very reasonable price, so I'm tempted to give this setup a try out.

SimonB

I'm a newbie here, and I wanted to share my version of a Fuji GFX / 680 hybrid that I've just finished. Still in the testing phase, but the results look good so far. I'm not an architectural photographer, but I do miss having a camera that has rise, fall, tilts etc. The lens can easily cover the full range of movements on the front standard (about 16mm each way from centre for rise, fall and shift), and I can change lenses easily with the Mamiya ring attached at the front. Mamiya lenses can be stopped down using the depth of field preview lever on the side of the lens without having to be attached to a camera, making it very easy to stop down when shooting. I'm using the Mamiya 65mm L-A which is about a standard focal length for this camera. I'll try to post results after I've done some proper testing.

Attachments

SimonB

From one camera tinkerer to another, that looks to be some very nice work! :)

Out of curiosity, how much does it weigh?
Yes, that's the drawback of my camera, the weight. It comes in at 4.4kgs as a total package with that particular lens. I shoot location and studio work, so for me that's not such a big deal - I well remember carrying around my Linhof Technikarden with a polaroid back, DD slides, meter etc, but still no lightweight in these digital days. Still, it's my first foray into camera tinkering, and I'm already thinking of modifications.

archivue

Still waiting for Laowa to produce a 30 / 32mm PC for GFX with several rings to adapt it to canon, nikon, sony...

it could be a great success...

Audii-Dudii

Yes, that's the drawback of my camera, the weight. It comes in at 4.4kgs as a total package with that particular lens. I shoot location and studio work, so for me that's not such a big deal - I well remember carrying around my Linhof Technikarden with a polaroid back, DD slides, meter etc, but still no lightweight in these digital days. Still, it's my first foray into camera tinkering, and I'm already thinking of modifications.
Well, when you create the Mk II version -- and you eventually will, if my experience of tinkering with cameras is anything to go by ... lol -- you can start shaving the ounces here-and-there then.

In the meantime, use and enjoy it as-is! :)

AndyPtak

SimonB -I'm a big fan of the Fuji GX680 and have one working one and one for parts. Could you share your construction method a bit? This looks an intriguing use of it with a mirrorless body. Thanks.

rdeloe

SimonB -I'm a big fan of the Fuji GX680 and have one working one and one for parts. Could you share your construction method a bit? This looks an intriguing use of it with a mirrorless body. Thanks.
Andy, there are options. Simon's is really nice; I wasn't aware of it. At Audii-Dudii's suggestion, I've used the Toyo VX23D to set up a Fuji GFX 50R-based outfit. Here's what it looks like:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1H0MnV98tLxQ8-9Hu9_4lCfQwvLo0KEAq

SimonB

Andy, the production of the camera was a slow process. I removed the front standard and rail system from the GX680 (just undo the brass screws at the back and the grub screws that hold the rails in place) and that's the starting point. After testing different lenses the Mamiya RZ lenses proved to be the sharpest, and because they are designed for a 6x7 format provided a good image circle for camera movements. I did some drawings for the parts I wanted made, which were then draw up in a 3-D programme by a mate (Solidworks I think, see attached file), then these were milled by a CNC machinist and anodised by a local firm. The old GX camera body cost me about 200 euro, then the cnc work and extra bits and pieces came to about 750 euro, so the total was under 1000 euro. Since finishing the camera I have tried a Nikkor SW 90mm lens from my 5x4 kit, and it looks to be also a good option. The Mamiya 65mm LA lens gives as good as file as the Fujinon GF 63mm lens that I bought with the camera. Now looking at the Mamiya Z 110mm F2.

Attachments

Anyone tried the 24 ts-e II with the 1.4x on the gfx ?
I've tried this combination (24mm TS-E II + 1.4X III) and is terrible for architectural photography standards. Is not bad in the center but very soft in the corners evenwithout shifting. I'm selling mine.
Actually cropping in fron the standard 24mm or correcting the fuji 32-64 in Photoshop.
What I'm trying to get now is the Hasselblad Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 50mm F/4 CF FLE and adapter to Canon EF to use in conjuntion with the Kipon CanonEF to Fuji GFX. It's a double adapter set up but using Kipon and KF adapters should do the trick.
Not sure how sharp the Hasselblad Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 50mm F/4 CF FLE would be on the GFX 50R. If anyone tried plese comment.

chrismuc

Best 50 shift lens for GFX is the Canon TSE 50, I would say.
Second best is the Hasselblad CF 50f4 FLE. Better use with Kipon Hasselblad V - Fuji GF shift adapter, you don’t have to stack two adapters. Maybe slightly less sharp in the shifted corners and a bit more CA than the Canon but on the other hand 15 mm vs. 12 mm shift.

Best 50 shift lens for GFX is the Canon TSE 50, I would say.
Second best is the Hasselblad CF 50f4 FLE. Better use with Kipon Hasselblad V - Fuji GF shift adapter, you don’t have to stack two adapters. Maybe slightly less sharp in the shifted corners and a bit more CA than the Canon but on the other hand 15 mm vs. 12 mm shift.
Yeah Canon 50mm would be great, a little bit pricy though. I see the Hasselblad CF 50f4 FLE at around $750.

I finally decided to go for the HD Pentax-D FA645 35mm F3.5AL IF lens found it at B&H second hand like new.

The results had been a success, I've already finished 2 jobs using it along with the Canon 24 TSE 2 and the Fuji GF 32-64.

The Pentax 645 adapts to the Fuji GFX 50 R with two very tight adapters, Kipon Shift Canon to GF and Pentax 645 to Canon adapter.

I uploaded to dropbox 3 raw files and processed jpg:

See for yourself and please comment.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/caw4k1zz6cw41fg/AABoB73MACYk4uyWeSWRFXdla?dl=0

There are a couple of screen shots from the lens correction panel in ACR. For the fuji 32-64, there are not specific lens correction at the moment so I use one for the 50mm 1.8 fuji aps-c lens that works.

Schafphoto

I finally decided to go for the HD Pentax-D FA645 35mm F3.5AL IF lens found it at B&H second hand like new.
Antonio, I'm glad to hear that the 35mm HD Pentax worked out. I gave up on the Fuji GFX and may be adapting the 35mm HD lens to my EOSR and then the new 45MP EOSR5 when it arrives in summer. If you look back at the top of this thread you'll see that my tests with the 24mm and 1.4x teleconverter were pretty terrible too. Glad it wasn't a bad copy on my part.

-Schaf

archivue

I finally decided to go for the HD Pentax-D FA645 35mm F3.5AL IF
The Pentax 645 adapts to the Fuji GFX 50 R with two very tight adapters, Kipon Shift Canon to GF and Pentax 645 to Canon adapter.
i wonder why didn't you bought the kipon gfx/pentax 645 adapter instead ?

i'm in the process to buy one, and i will skip the tilt... the shift only seems better (larger opening, less flare... ).

61mqRSL0RML._AC_SL1200_.jpg

mota25

Any advice for picking 23mm f4 GF vs 24mm TSE II? How bad is 24mm TSE II on the GFX? I have a TechArt adapter and currently only tried 90mm TSE I which works fine.

haihan

Thoughts on architectural with GFX, image circle and lens

updates (2021.08.29) : added Fujifilm GF 45-100mm f4's nodal points @ all focal lengths.

This is not a review, I am simply sharing the raw files which you could cook up your dishes and taste them and draw a conclusion yourself on the lenses which you would like to acquire for similar usage.

Here’s the final (compilations) image circle test:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/852qykifh56nfpv/AADJluCMM1Ex1Mvq3mTw8aFXa?dl=0

Aperture is usually f11 or f13, f16 for Pentax 645 A 120mm

GFX 50S / 50R
Canon 17mm TS E
Canon 24mm TS E
Schneider 28mm PC
Contax Zeiss 35mm PC Distagon
Canon 50mm TS E macro
Pentax 645 45-85mm
Pentax 645 80-160mm
Pentax 645 75mm
Pentax 645 120mm macro
Pentax 67 135mm macro
Pentax 67 55-100

GFX 100
Canon 17mm TS E
Canon 24mm TS E II
Canon 50mm TS E
Canon 90mm TS E
Pentax 645 35mm HD D FA
Pentax 645 A 55mm
Pentax 645 A 75mm
Pentax 645 A 120mm

Appreciations:
I would like to sincerely show my appreciation to Darren, Kim Yee, Chris, Bryan, Stefan, Inessa, Michael, Xiao Ming, Markus, Jim and John whom have supported, shared and contributed their findings in the early days on lens image circles testing on GFX 50S, and you.

The same tread on facebook GFX page:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...2&set=gm.975221809588375&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Lenses which I use regularly:
Canon 17mm TS E, nodal 4.0
Canon 24mm TS E II, nodal 3.3
Canon 24mm TS E II, nodal 3.3, Capture One distortion correction: "Phase One Digital AF 28mm f4.5", distortion at "70"
Pentax 645 HD D FA 35mm, nodal 3.1, Capture One distortion correction: "Phase One Digital AF 35mm f3.5", distortion at "70"
Canon 50mm TS E macro, nodal 4.6
Pentax 645 A 55mm, nodal 5.8
Pentax 645 A 75mm, nodal 8
Canon 90mm TS E, nodal 7.5
Pentax 645 A 120mm macro, nodal 7
Pentax 67 55-100mm
Pentax 645 80-160mm, nodal 2.0 @ both 80 & 160mm
Fujifilm GF 120mm, nodal 4.5
Fujifilm GF 32-64mm, nodal @32 n5.5 / @44 n5.3 / @50 n5.2 / @64 n5.9
Fujifilm GF 45-100mm, nodal @45 n4.0 / @60 n4.3 / @80 n4.8 / @100 n5.5

Adapters:
Mirex P645 to EF ts adapter
Kipon EF to GFX adapter
Photodiox P67 to 645 adapter

Panorama:
Really Right Stuff multi row kit ( Thanks to Ruey Loon & Bernard Languillier!)

Last edited:

rdeloe

Thoughts on architectural with GFX, image circle and lens.

updates: final compilations - Pentax 67 55-100mm

This is not a review, I am simply sharing the raw files which you could cook up your dishes and taste them and draw a conclusion yourself on the lenses which you would like to acquire for similar usage.
Thanks for all this work. You've created a very useful resource.

I just spent some time examining and comparing the files. There are some interesting results. A surprise for me was the Pentax 645 55/2.8. I returned a nice clean copy because I wasn't happy with performance in the outer parts of the image circle. Your copy seems a bit better. I was also happy to see samples from the Leica/Schneider 28mm PC lens. Based on your samples, I won't be getting one. It's exactly as others have described it (a bit soft, a bit glowy). The HD Pentax-D FA 645 35mm F3.5 AL does look very good.

Thanks for all this work. You've created a very useful resource.

I just spent some time examining and comparing the files. There are some interesting results. A surprise for me was the Pentax 645 55/2.8. I returned a nice clean copy because I wasn't happy with performance in the outer parts of the image circle. Your copy seems a bit better. I was also happy to see samples from the Leica/Schneider 28mm PC lens. Based on your samples, I won't be getting one. It's exactly as others have described it (a bit soft, a bit glowy). The HD Pentax-D FA 645 35mm F3.5 AL does look very good.

I also have a P645 55mm that I don't love... Mine suffers from flare from above. This example looks very good indeed..

That Canon 50mm TS-E though, looks amazing fully shifted at 12mm :)

Thanks for the test, very helpful....