The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

As expected, Fringer announces Contax 645 lens adapter for the GFX.

Audii-Dudii

Isn't it best if one instead uses the Contax lenses on a view camera with the GFX for image area?
I agree and have one ready to go, just as soon as I'm able to confirm the GFX sensor plays happily with movements and long exposures. <crosses fingers>

There's just one hitch: to activate the Fringer adapter, you have to begin by installing – which means buying or borrowing – the Fuji 63mm lens.

But my point in using Contax 645 lenses would be to skip owning any Fuji lenses.

It looks like nobody makes a plain-vanilla manual focus Contax 645 to GFX adapter?

Kirk

fringer

There's just one hitch: to activate the Fringer adapter, you have to begin by installing – which means buying or borrowing – the Fuji 63mm lens.

But my point in using Contax 645 lenses would be to skip owning any Fuji lenses.

It looks like nobody makes a plain-vanilla manual focus Contax 645 to GFX adapter?

Kirk
Activating is not needed anymore. Meanwhile, the latest firmware of Fringer adapter has full EXIF support. Correct lens model, aperture and focal length info will be saved in EXIF section of your JPG/RAW files.
See this: Fringer's contax 645-GFX adapter upgraded

mandonbossi

I modified the a front standard of the Cambo Actus GFX to shoot contax lens with GFX...
Yes, was thinking the same thing... :)

How are you looking at controlling the aperture? The Kipon double adapter combination?

I see that "Iktinos" constantly talks up his project with no real time frame or ETA of when it will be available... So just talk really...

M

mjr

I've always thought that the only benefit to the Contax lenses is the increased image circle making them perfect for movements, I don't see any benefit to a straight mount to the GFX. Would really like to see your setup kimyeesan, the Cambo appears to be the ideal solution to getting the most from the Contax glass, I have been tempted to buy a fringer adapter just to pull it apart and use the front and rear plates on the Cambo with extended wires to allow aperture control. Hopefully someone smarter than me will sort it out!

Mat

Looks like the Fringer adapter for Contax (only) is almost $200 more than the 2-step Kipon adapter for both Canon and Contax. Does Fringer adapter accomplish something more than Kipon, besides eliminating the extra connection?

Kirk

PS re: Matt's comment: 'I don't see any benefit to a straight mount to the GFX":

The up-side of straight mount adapters for 645 lenses is that by staying nearer the center of a larger image circle, you're eliminating some of the difference between center/edge resolution. 645 lenses with manual aperture rings are pretty old now, and the wides weren't always great on edge resolution. Cutting off the periphery gives them a boost toward keeping up with more modern lenses.

The downside is that using an adapter for 645 lenses, you're in effect putting a mirror box back into the system and making it longer/bulkier – undoing some of the point in going mirrorless in the first place. For that reason I'm using a straight adapter for Pentax 645 MF 35mm and 45mm – but just temporarily, until Fuji lenses in the medium wide angle range are released.

I've appreciated Distagons in C/Y mount on Sony because of their so-called '3D' rendering. But Contax 645 lenses sell for roughly double Pentax 645s, which offer comparable resolution (except Pentax 45mm, which is an OK but not stellar lens). I couldn't see spending a lot for an adapted lens that I'd be using only until Fuji releases GFX 35mm, which is supposed to come out this fall. Looking at reviews, it seemed that Pentax 645 wides were about the same as Mamiya-M in resolution.

K

Second afterthought: It would be nice if we could adapt Mamiya 6/7 wide angles (43 and 50mm) to GFX, but there are no adapters. Their rear elements extend quite a distance behind the mount, so I suppose they'd seat too close to the sensor to be usable?

k

Last edited:
M

mjr

Kirk, I understand fully why people use straight adapters, I'm just saying that "I" see no benefit, the Cambo or Arca are ideal for adapted lenses "for me" because they offer more than a straight adapter, obviously.

I personally wouldn't buy a lens in another format if I didn't have the opportunity to do something different with it, a 35mm Contax would give me nothing straight mounted against the GFX zoom at 35mm for example, it only becomes worthwhile when I can use tilt/shift and stitch within the image circle, something I can't do with the fuji lens. I am not a fan of adapters, I have never understood why people would spend thousands on lenses and bodies only to put a couple of hundred in to an adapter to fit it all together, I am sure they are better now but there was so much talk about having poor tolerances, internal reflections etc that I would never go that route, it's just hassle.

I am also fully aware that people adapt lenses because they offer something they like in the rendering, they are cheaper, they already own them, they cover a focal length they don't have access to in native mount, etc. etc. people have many options with the GFX, I am just explaining how I want to use it.

Sorry, Mat, if I misunderstood - but I re-read your post and still mistake it for a general statement linstead of a personal preference. Happy to read it, though, as the latter - and to ask for more advice.

I agree that what amounts to a compact digital view camera sounds attractive, but I'd appreciate hearing more about its use - and in what circumstances it's worth the increase in additional gear to carry and set up. When focal lengths are short (you mentioned 35mm), how often will you need tilts/swings, except for architecture/studio? With the options of focus stacking and perspective corrections in post-processing, when is a mini-view camera necessary/desirable?

I'm accustomed to FF and am new to 'medium format lite' with GFX; so I'm still learning about the slightly longer focal lengths and how far I can stop down before diffraction sets in. I've only recently begun to use WA lenses with an adapter.

Without experience It's hard to predict the advantage of Cambo/Arca movements in this medium-small format, and I hope you and/or others who have experience will discuss it - either here or on a more appropriate thread than this one about Fringer adapter.

Kirk