The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D first thoughts and sample images

tashley

Subscriber Member
First thoughts: this thing is amazing. The lenses are amazing too; really amazing. I have the 30mm and the 90mm. It's a lot of fun. It's like a 50mp Leica Q. It's a bit buggy. But I am really pleased, so far, that I waited for it.

More detail:

Love shooting with it though there are quite a lot of little issues. Even though the SD card has now been formatted in camera, I have still had the No Card error and I also sometimes find the camera locks and won't let you change aperture or exp comp via the dials, though using the touch screen lets you do it and also returns control to the wheels.

You can shoot it at 1x Focal Length easily and get the shot pretty much every time.

The focus points are too big and tend to concentrate on high frequency detail rather than the totally obvious - so for example, shooting a building facade and focussing on the cross bars of a sash window will result in it reliably going after the reflections in the glass instead.

MF is really nicely done and very useful. Moving focus points is a PITA and I think one should be able to move them by touching the screen. I agree with the opinion that zoom and peaking should be selectable together when using MF.

The files have loads of DR and loads of latitude though I suspect very slightly less than a D810 @ ISO 64. However, they look much less digital than Sony a7RII files. The camera tends to underexpose for evenly lit landscape scenes because it is protecting against blowing highlights.

Phocus mobile app (iPhone) hasn't been updated for the X1D yet so some of the features don't work, but you can focus and you can fire the shutter.

The lenses are beyond my expectations. They are sharp from wide open, best at 5.6 but still really good at F8 and even F11. Also, both mine seem to be good copies, which is a rarity. The only fly I have found in the ointment is that the 30mm has some purple fringing on tree twigs against bright sky at the edge of the frame (see file #40).

I didn't use any lens corrections because LR doesn't have them yet, but it looks as if the HC 35mm F3.5 profile works quite well.

I provided a link to an initial sample gallery below. All shots can be downloaded as full-res JPEGs though they were all shot RAW and developed in LR with sharpening at 60/0.7/70/20 which is my go-to until I figure out a camera's exact sweet spot. Also a tiny touch of clarity and a bit of exposure adjustment. All files hand-held, since that's my use-case for the camera.

Exposure compensation behaviour feels odd: the back dial way of doing it resets all the time, and the back dial is too easy to jog accidentally. Also, EXIF seems not to report +/- EV in LR at least. I will explore these issues further because it might well be me doing something wrong...

Files here: nothing exciting but many useful shots when it comes to looking at lens performance in particular.

Tim Ashley Photography | Hasselblad X1D

MF is really nicely done and very useful. Moving focus points is a PITA and I think one should be able to move them by touching the screen. I agree with the opinion that zoom and peaking should be selectable together when using MF.
Once unlocked the AF point can be moved by touching the screen. Unless you meant doing it without pressing the AF/MF button first :)

Glad you like it Tim

tashley

Subscriber Member
Once unlocked the AF point can be moved by touching the screen. Unless you meant doing it without pressing the AF/MF button first :)

Glad you like it Tim
Yup, I'd just like to be able to touch a focus point without the press-and-hold routine first. It would make up for the lack a joystick though I suppose it would mean one would be constantly accidentally focusing with the tip of the nose!

Yup, I'd just like to be able to touch a focus point without the press-and-hold routine first. It would make up for the lack a joystick though I suppose it would mean one would be constantly accidentally focusing with the tip of the nose!
Could be tricky I think. :cry:

hcubell

Exposure compensation behaviour feels odd: the back dial way of doing it resets all the time, and the back dial is too easy to jog accidentally. Also, EXIF seems not to report +/- EV in LR at least. I will explore these issues further because it might well be me doing something wrong...
Tim Ashley Photography | Hasselblad X1D
Tim:
There is a Menu option that allows you set the camera so your Exposure Compensation setting stays in place after each exposure, rather than cancelling out.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Tim:
There is a Menu option that allows you set the camera so your Exposure Compensation setting stays in place after each exposure, rather than cancelling out.
I know, but it's something that most cameras let you set without menu delving for a sequence of shots without cancelling each time. It's not a huge issue but I think the rear dial method should stay as set until power off.

Also, I used Raw Digger to look at the EXIF and there's no field for exposure compensation. There should be: one of the ways one learns a camera is by getting a feeling for what compensations were effective over a series of images, which is easier to do in a raw developer such as LR which give you very granular ability to see where files are blown to blocked.

tashley

Subscriber Member
It's one of those settings, like the exposure Increment Step Size, that you set once and leave it. Changing EV using the rear LCD "sticks", but the EV Quick Adjust setting using the rear control wheel only sticks if you uncheck the Reset after Exposure checkbox.

Me too. That's gotta be a bug. I'm going to send a bug report to Hasselblad today.

In aperture priority (A) mode, I'd like to see an option to set the lowest shutter speed.

Ove Bengtsson responded to my email with, "We are planning to have a smaller 2.5x2.5mm area as an option and then you get 63 points." No indication of timeframe.

+1

As you know, I use the Tim Ashley Sharpening Secret Sauce for my a7RII and now for the X1D. Please keep us (me) informed as you refine your formula. ;)

I hadn't noticed that and will do some investigation myself. May be a bug.

Thanks Tim. The lenses are outstanding. I can almost read the license plate on the vehicle towing the trailer in your last five shots. :D I appreciate hearing your first impressions even though I've got an X1D of my own. Your findings validate some of my own conclusions.

Joe
Thanks Joe,

I finally worked out the stuff about exposure compensation during my afternoon walk and now have it set how I like it - but the EXIF really doesn't report it. Odd.

But mostly thanks especially to you and Howard for encouraging me to stick it out. I really think this is going to be my favourite camera!

bcambern

Congrats Tim! I've been anxiously awaiting your thoughts and your comments on the lenses are very encouraging. Happy shooting!

tashley

Subscriber Member
You own that castle I your picture, right?! I would love to visit and stay there! :bugeyes:
Sadly not, but I walk past it quite often. It's just a folly, really. It was built in the late 1700's as an entry into an architectural competition to rebuild a full-sized castle nearby and it won the contest but then the architect died before anything progressed - so that is his entire known oeuvre. It ha also starred in an episode of Doctor Who...

D&A

I know why you like this castle so much Tim. It resembles a pair of binoculars standing upright.
The architect must have had a love for optics and you feel a kinship to him. :).

Really enjoying your X1D images and noticed that pair of trees has been used previously in testing out other systems. We all seem to have our favorite test targets when aquiring a new lens or camera. Inspiring work Tim.

Dave (D&A)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sounds like they are getting some bugs worked out and firmware updates. This is good too see. When those new lenses come out it maybe time to think about this. Regardless it's good to see Hassy and Fuji taking some big steps in MF. Or should I say smaller steps. Lol

Godfrey

Wow! Tim, I think that's possibly the most positive review of a new camera I've ever read from you! The X1D must be really special, or the ' Hasselblad Reality Distortion Field ' really strong. :cool:

I enjoyed looking through your first photos. I downloaded a couple of them and they show very good technical stuff when seen at 1:1.

Sigh. When that 22mm lens is released, the X1D is going to do damage to my bank account.. And I'm looking forward to it. :D

G

I think between the feeling of the camera in your hand and the results of the images, it really is that good. Once they get the firmware tweaked with everything we want, it will be even better. ...and in time for your 22mm of course!

tashley

Subscriber Member
Wow! Tim, I think that's possibly the most positive review of a new camera I've ever read from you! The X1D must be really special, or the ' Hasselblad Reality Distortion Field ' really strong. :cool:

I enjoyed looking through your first photos. I downloaded a couple of them and they show very good technical stuff when seen at 1:1.

Sigh. When that 22mm lens is released, the X1D is going to do damage to my bank account.. And I'm looking forward to it. :D

G
Thanks Godfrey. What I find fascinating about reacting to it is that I came into it with a lot of pent up irritation towards Hasselblad - and I got the firm impression during the first hour of use that it feels more beta than it should but that overall, none of that really compromises the special and revolutionary thing they have done here. It has that feeling of serious DNA that a Leica has, along with the same "why the F did they do x, y and z this way?' but overall, it just feels very right. It feels like this is how a camera should be. And I was really not expecting that.

Who knows how long the honeymoon will last, but for now I am pretty taken with it, as I think has been clear!

Most of all, the IQ is just lovely. I keep being surprised to find how very clean ISO 400 and 800 are and like I said, getting two lenses in one day which are both class-leading, well built and attractively priced whilst also being small and light... well, that's a rarity.

There are so many things that need fixing and improving but none of them feels at all insurmountable.

Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

hcubell

Thanks Godfrey. What I find fascinating about reacting to it is that I came into it with a lot of pent up irritation towards Hasselblad - and I got the firm impression during the first hour of use that it feels more beta than it should but that overall, none of that really compromises the special and revolutionary thing they have done here. It has that feeling of serious DNA that a Leica has, along with the same "why the F did they do x, y and z this way?' but overall, it just feels very right. It feels like this is how a camera should be. And I was really not expecting that.

Who knows how long the honeymoon will last, but for now I am pretty taken with it, as I think has been clear!

Most of all, the IQ is just lovely. I keep being surprised to find how very clean ISO 400 and 800 are and like I said, getting two lenses in one day which are both class-leading, well built and attractively priced whilst also being small and light... well, that's a rarity.

There are so many things that need fixing and improving but none of them feels at all insurmountable.

Fingers crossed.
This very accurately summarizes my assessment of the X1D, Tim. The overall Gestalt of the camera and the user interface are just so right, in a way that no camera has ever handled for me before. The lenses are exceptional optically and a perfect match for the form factor of the camera body. Of course, none of this would matter a whit if the color and tonal quality of the files did not deliver, but they do . Hasselblad may not have had the prior experience with configuring a mirrorless camera before the X1D (and it shows), but Hasselblad had plenty of experience optimizing the imaging pipeline out of the 50MP Sony sensor. And that shows. The color and tone that I see in the files have a natural, almost organic quality, that perfectly matches the evolution in my preferences as to what I like in color photographs. The Hasselblad files can be beautiful without the need to hype the contrast and saturation. There are a few things missing in the firmware that I would like to see and, I am told, are to come. There are some bugs that you and others have experienced. Importantly, though, Hasselblad has gotten the basic ingredients here just right, and, over the next 12 months, the X1D will become a much more refined product. It already works well for me. This is surely not a replacement for a DSLR or an XF or an H6. It's really in its own category.

tashley

Subscriber Member
This very accurately summarizes my assessment of the X1D, Tim. The overall Gestalt of the camera and the user interface are just so right, in a way that no camera has ever handled for me before. The lenses are exceptional optically and a perfect match for the form factor of the camera body. Of course, none of this would matter a whit if the color and tonal quality of the files did not deliver, but they do . Hasselblad may not have had the prior experience with configuring a mirrorless camera before the X1D (and it shows), but Hasselblad had plenty of experience optimizing the imaging pipeline out of the 50MP Sony sensor. And that shows. The color and tone that I see in the files have a natural, almost organic quality, that perfectly matches the evolution in my preferences as to what I like in color photographs. The Hasselblad files can be beautiful without the need to hype the contrast and saturation. There are a few things missing in the firmware that I would like to see and, I am told, are to come. There are some bugs that you and others have experienced. Importantly, though, Hasselblad has gotten the basic ingredients here just right, and, over the next 12 months, the X1D will become a much more refined product. It already works well for me. This is surely not a replacement for a DSLR or an XF or an H6. It's really in its own category.
For me, the nicest camera I've had in the past couple of years was the Leica Q - it just got out of the way and felt very natural but in the end I got fed up with QC and repair issues and decided to 'upgrade' it to an Rx1RII because all other things being equal, I prefer the extra pixels and extra dynamic range of the Sony sensor. However, the colours never feel quite right and the promisingly small form factor is just irritating to use. The X1D has the appealing directness and simplicity of the Q but with a vastly vastly better sensor. I totally agree with you about the colour and tone. So natural - you really don't have the sense of something 'digital' going on under the hood.