The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

X1D first thoughts and sample images

D&A

Thanks Godfrey. What I find fascinating about reacting to it is that I came into it with a lot of pent up irritation towards Hasselblad - and I got the firm impression during the first hour of use that it feels more beta than it should but that overall, none of that really compromises the special and revolutionary thing they have done here. It has that feeling of serious DNA that a Leica has, along with the same "why the F did they do x, y and z this way?' but overall, it just feels very right. It feels like this is how a camera should be. And I was really not expecting that.

Who knows how long the honeymoon will last, but for now I am pretty taken with it, as I think has been clear!

Most of all, the IQ is just lovely. I keep being surprised to find how very clean ISO 400 and 800 are and like I said, getting two lenses in one day which are both class-leading, well built and attractively priced whilst also being small and light... well, that's a rarity.

There are so many things that need fixing and improving but none of them feels at all insurmountable.

Fingers crossed.
Tim like others, there are a number of things you mentioned about the X1D and lenses that resonate with me after having shot with a demo X1D a few months ago as well as carefully examining X1D images posted by yourself and others.

Immediately upon handling the body, the form factor and minimilist design closely resembled a Leica. Its the sort of body I might have expected if Leica was to design and implement a mirrorless medium format body, maybe even more so than the SL. The same goes for fit and finish, menu and touch screen and button placement, right down to sometimes implementing a sequence of features in not the most efficient or intuitive way. Same goes for the occasional early firmware glitches, which sort of reminds me of certain Leica M bodies (more than the inevitable comparision to the Leica SL), that upon initial production and release, were often a work in progress.

The optical performance and presentation of an image from the current lenses are sharp but at the same time exhibit what most might refer to as a painterly quality with regard to their color signature and almost delicate nature in the presentation of the subject matter captured. Detail without being harsh or as previously described overly contrasty. Almost resembling some of the Mandler designed Leica lenses as opposed to many of their current aspherical lenses.

The size and handling of the lenses adds to the package. I personally believe all this was carefully though through by the X1D design team, with most of these attributes in mind.

In contrast I also believe the Fuji GFX and the implimentation of its design, had a completely different form and fuction goals in mind in comparison to the X1D. Not that one system is better than the other but each primarily targets a different set of users and presents strengths in areas where the other may be lacking or at the very least, is not as well suited.

Unthough unrealistic to expect, I almost wish there would not be head to head comparisons of these two systems as it would simply be an exercise in pointing out the strenghs of one system while the same features being compared would be considered a weakness of the other. Maybe so, but in the case of the X1D vs. GFX, I see it as if one system appears to be weaker or deficent in a comparitive feature, it simply had to be that way in order to retain the overhelming strength of that particular system and what makes it unique and ground breaking.

There will be other future mirrorless medium format cameras/systems that will fall more closely in line to either the X1D or GFX and those then can be in direct competition. Even though there is room for improvement and no doubt that will be implemented in firmware updates, both systems should be enjoyed for what they are and what they offer. Again these are just my own personal thoughts.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Godfrey

You know, this is pretty much exactly what I expected of a true Hasselblad, a descendant from the same company that made the Hasselblad V system. I never worried about the imaging system at all, the lenses at all ... and even the early betas available at the demo last June said to me immediately, "This is right."

That 22mm lens is going to do damage to my bank account for sure. I'm starting to prep for it already.

The X1D is not a substitute for either my Leica SL system or my Leica M system. It's a complement to them, just as they complement each other. It is the right complement for what I want ... a nice big sensor with lots o pixels for ultrawide squares. I was out shooting in downtown San Jose this evening with the SL fitted with the Super-Elmar-R 15mm and, I have to say, it does very very well for the streety, low light ... but it's just not quite the same thing as the SWC is once I pull out a tripod and am going for the kind of detailing that medium format ultra wide begs to be used for.

Heady stuff. :grin:

G

Oh yeah: I was out at the cafe for breakfast this morning, my regular Thursday Morning Breakfast Club with a few friends that's been going on for a dozen or more years now. We're chatting at the table and at some point my friend sitting next to me nudges me and point to the new guy on the counter line. Slung under his arm is a soulful Hasselblad 500CM with Planar 80mm and waist level finder, A12 back. First time I've seen one "in the wild" (other than my own!) in quite a long time. Young guy too. Perhaps an old film tank is the latest hipster fad, perhaps not, but it sure is good to see one out being used the way it ought to be. :D

This very accurately summarizes my assessment of the X1D, Tim. The overall Gestalt of the camera and the user interface are just so right, in a way that no camera has ever handled for me before. The lenses are exceptional optically and a perfect match for the form factor of the camera body. Of course, none of this would matter a whit if the color and tonal quality of the files did not deliver, but they do . Hasselblad may not have had the prior experience with configuring a mirrorless camera before the X1D (and it shows), but Hasselblad had plenty of experience optimizing the imaging pipeline out of the 50MP Sony sensor. And that shows. The color and tone that I see in the files have a natural, almost organic quality, that perfectly matches the evolution in my preferences as to what I like in color photographs. The Hasselblad files can be beautiful without the need to hype the contrast and saturation. There are a few things missing in the firmware that I would like to see and, I am told, are to come. There are some bugs that you and others have experienced. Importantly, though, Hasselblad has gotten the basic ingredients here just right, and, over the next 12 months, the X1D will become a much more refined product. It already works well for me. This is surely not a replacement for a DSLR or an XF or an H6. It's really in its own category.

tjv

Good God, I can see I'm going to have to spend more money. :facesmack:

I was out with my Techno and Leaf Credo 60 today after a week shooting Canon – as a last resort – and remembered how amazingly simple and intuitive the menu system is compared to most other of the competition. The X1D / H6 menu system and UI look just as good, if not better. Looking forward to trying out out for myself sometime soon.

I also agree with the GFX VS. X1D comparison being a bit pointless. The GFX I handled seemed great, but ultimately not for me. Too big for what I want and a bit cumbersome. Fingers crossed for the 'blad.

helged

would be useful to see images with wide angle lens(es) with lots of white-ish towards the edges (white beaches, white buildings, white sky, snow,...) - to check for possible miscolouring.

thanks in advance!

tashley

Subscriber Member
would be useful to see images with wide angle lens(es) with lots of white-ish towards the edges (white beaches, white buildings, white sky, snow,...) - to check for possible miscolouring.

thanks in advance!
Already posted from my link at the top of the thread, which includes landscape aperture series with the 30mm lens.

helged

Thanks. Yes, I have had a look at your images. I would ideally see white subjects at/close to the boarders. The B0000121-image, as an example, show some vignetting, but without red/purple discolouring - as far as I tell from viewing the image in Lightroom. This indicates that the edges are pretty free from discolouring. Good! But after shooting loads of winter landscape photos with wide angle lenses, white snow may show colouring that is not that clearly seen in a blue(ish) sky, therefore the request. But looking good - I'll try to get hold on a body with the 30mm to play with...

hcubell

Thanks. Yes, I have had a look at your images. I would ideally see white subjects at/close to the boarders. The B0000121-image, as an example, show some vignetting, but without red/purple discolouring - as far as I tell from viewing the image in Lightroom. This indicates that the edges are pretty free from discolouring. Good! But after shooting loads of winter landscape photos with wide angle lenses, white snow may show colouring that is not that clearly seen in a blue(ish) sky, therefore the request. But looking good - I'll try to get hold on a body with the 30mm to play with...
Please look at Posts ##275 and 298 in the Fun with X1D thread.

Geoff

FWIW, this camera appeals as a high-quality, small, simple travel camera. Its not that there isn't plenty of gear under this roof, and the workhorse RX1 (the smallest in the house) is totally capable, but the colors just aren't quite there. X1D is quite attractive.

hcubell

FWIW, this camera appeals as a high-quality, small, simple travel camera. Its not that there isn't plenty of gear under this roof, and the workhorse RX1 (the smallest in the house) is totally capable, but the colors just aren't quite there. X1D is quite attractive.
I am not sure what you mean by "travel camera." The X1D surely is capable of serving the needs of many photographers for their most serious, slow, deliberative, shooting. If I were headed out on a 10 day trip to, say, Iceland for serious photography, I wouldn't hesitate to have it serve as my primary system. If you mean the X1D is a camera that you could put the 45mm lens on and use it to walk comfortably around a city while traveling where the principal purpose is not photography, yes, you could do that as well. I have recently used a Sony A7RII wit the 24-70mm f/4 zoom for that role. I am not sure which I would choose now. The Sony is still significantly lighter, and the zoom gives you more flexibility.

eleanorbrown

I'm considering the 22mm also...felt the 30 was too close to my 45, tho the 30 has gotten outstanding reviews. Been wanting an 18mm equivalent. Eleanor

Wow! Tim, I think that's possibly the most positive review of a new camera I've ever read from you! The X1D must be really special, or the ' Hasselblad Reality Distortion Field ' really strong. :cool:

I enjoyed looking through your first photos. I downloaded a couple of them and they show very good technical stuff when seen at 1:1.

Sigh. When that 22mm lens is released, the X1D is going to do damage to my bank account.. And I'm looking forward to it. :D

G

jdphoto

First thoughts: this thing is amazing. The lenses are amazing too; really amazing. I have the 30mm and the 90mm. It's a lot of fun. It's like a 50mp Leica Q. It's a bit buggy. But I am really pleased, so far, that I waited for it.

More detail:

Love shooting with it though there are quite a lot of little issues. Even though the SD card has now been formatted in camera, I have still had the No Card error and I also sometimes find the camera locks and won't let you change aperture or exp comp via the dials, though using the touch screen lets you do it and also returns control to the wheels.

You can shoot it at 1x Focal Length easily and get the shot pretty much every time.

The focus points are too big and tend to concentrate on high frequency detail rather than the totally obvious - so for example, shooting a building facade and focussing on the cross bars of a sash window will result in it reliably going after the reflections in the glass instead.

MF is really nicely done and very useful. Moving focus points is a PITA and I think one should be able to move them by touching the screen. I agree with the opinion that zoom and peaking should be selectable together when using MF.

The files have loads of DR and loads of latitude though I suspect very slightly less than a D810 @ ISO 64. However, they look much less digital than Sony a7RII files. The camera tends to underexpose for evenly lit landscape scenes because it is protecting against blowing highlights.

Phocus mobile app (iPhone) hasn't been updated for the X1D yet so some of the features don't work, but you can focus and you can fire the shutter.

The lenses are beyond my expectations. They are sharp from wide open, best at 5.6 but still really good at F8 and even F11. Also, both mine seem to be good copies, which is a rarity. The only fly I have found in the ointment is that the 30mm has some purple fringing on tree twigs against bright sky at the edge of the frame (see file #40).

I didn't use any lens corrections because LR doesn't have them yet, but it looks as if the HC 35mm F3.5 profile works quite well.

I provided a link to an initial sample gallery below. All shots can be downloaded as full-res JPEGs though they were all shot RAW and developed in LR with sharpening at 60/0.7/70/20 which is my go-to until I figure out a camera's exact sweet spot. Also a tiny touch of clarity and a bit of exposure adjustment. All files hand-held, since that's my use-case for the camera.

Exposure compensation behaviour feels odd: the back dial way of doing it resets all the time, and the back dial is too easy to jog accidentally. Also, EXIF seems not to report +/- EV in LR at least. I will explore these issues further because it might well be me doing something wrong...

Files here: nothing exciting but many useful shots when it comes to looking at lens performance in particular.

Tim Ashley Photography | Hasselblad X1D

Your definition of amazing is certainly different from mine based on what you've written here.

Godfrey

I am not sure what you mean by "travel camera." The X1D surely is capable of serving the needs of many photographers for their most serious, slow, deliberative, shooting. If I were headed out on a 10 day trip to, say, Iceland for serious photography, I wouldn't hesitate to have it serve as my primary system. If you mean the X1D is a camera that you could put the 45mm lens on and use it to walk comfortably around a city while traveling where the principal purpose is not photography, yes, you could do that as well. I have recently used a Sony A7RII wit the 24-70mm f/4 zoom for that role. I am not sure which I would choose now. The Sony is still significantly lighter, and the zoom gives you more flexibility.
The X1D is about the same size as my Leica SL. Fitted with a nice prime like a Summilux-R 50mm and another in the bag, perhaps the Elmarit-R 24mm, it's a fine kit for traveling. Or with just the SL24-90. The X1D with 22mm is probably going to be a bit bulkier than with the 30 or 45. That's fine. I don't need ultra-light or ultra-small. Just something handy that I'm willing to carry AND use.

Of course, if I want lighter and smaller, I just take the M-D with WATE, 35, and 75 lenses. :D

G

Two images shot with X1d and 90mm lens. Wanted to post these to show that there is a difference when processing via Phocus and Adobe until Adobe Camera Raw gets the end corrections added. The 90mm lens does render the face taller and narrower than the 100mm, but it does need the correction to make it look as it should. Also shot separately with the H4x/IQ140 and 100mm(those aren't posted). Very interested to get the XH adapter to do a direct comparison. Just did a quick process, so did't try to match color/exposure exactly.

top image is processed with Adobe for each sequence.

Attachments

hcubell

Two images shot with X1d and 90mm lens. Wanted to post these to show that there is a difference when processing via Phocus and Adobe until Adobe Camera Raw gets the end corrections added. The 90mm lens does render the face taller and narrower than the 100mm, but it does need the correction to make it look as it should. Also shot separately with the H4x/IQ140 and 100mm(those aren't posted). Very interested to get the XH adapter to do a direct comparison. Just did a quick process, so did't try to match color/exposure exactly.

top image is processed with Adobe for each sequence.
Josh, I am not sure which image is which and where it was processed.

hcubell

He said the top image for each sequance was processed in Adobe.
Sure, but on my monitor, the four images are shown 2x2, with what I now know after looking at them on my iPad are two Adobe images on the left and the two Phocus images on the right. On my iPad, the four are shown in one vertical display.