The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX 50s vs IQ150 ?

Not sure what you shoot and what's your shooting style!

GFX with GF lenses: small and light, with FPS and ES.
IQ150 with XF+ body: bulky and heavy, but leaf shutter supports decent flash sync speed.

GFX for technical camera: sensor cover glass "may" have an impact on smearing/astigmatism/curvature.
IQ150 for technical camera: about 100g lighter than the GFX as digital back alone, and proven performance.

drevil

Staff member
if you don't need flash sync speed above 1/125th, no brainer the GFX, much cheaper and it will be the A7 of medium format with a millions of adapters coming up for all mounts with 35mm format and bigger.

Iktinos

Not Available
if you don't need flash sync speed above 1/125th, no brainer the GFX, much cheaper and it will be the A7 of medium format with a millions of adapters coming up for all mounts with 35mm format and bigger.
In addition, it provides shutter for use on a view camera and compatibility with even UWA lenses (wider than ever) that will cause no color casts.

Of course the GFX will sync with leaf shutter lenses and Fuji representatives have mentioned that they'll come up with dedicated leaf shutter lenses at the future (other than the HC lenses that will work alreadt via the G to H adapter).

Paul2660

The GFX does support HSS with the Fuji EX-500.

I have used HSS with the X-T2 up to 1/1000 and it worked quite well for my application.

May not work well for studio work however.

Paul Caldwell

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Looking at the two new mirrorless cameras I have just acquired a CFV-50c.

Primarily for the long term option of returning to an Alpa STC/SWA and
a couple of HR Rodies.

I do have a A7RII and Loxia lenses as a travel cam.

There are a lot of folks moving in the opposite direction ....

The CFV-50c will be swapped down the line for a larger sensor back.

Not a cheap alternative but it does allow a few more options.

And I never got over my 30 year love of the V cameras.

Bob

Iktinos

Not Available
Looking at the two new mirrorless cameras I have just acquired a CFV-50c.

Primarily for the long term option of returning to an Alpa STC/SWA and
a couple of HR Rodies.

I do have a A7RII and Loxia lenses as a travel cam.

There are a lot of folks moving in the opposite direction ....

The CFV-50c will be swapped down the line for a larger sensor back.

Not a cheap alternative but it does allow a few more options.

And I never got over my 30 year love of the V cameras.

Bob
I believe (personal opinion) that 33x44mm sensor is perfect for use on a view camera, due to far more lenses being compatible and ability to work with wider lenses than any other sensor size.

One can share the same lenses for all his tasks if he uses 54x40 sensor on a "non-movement" DSLR and then 44x33 on his view camera. After all, if one uses a tech camera, the abilities one adds, is far more important than using a larger sensor or improving on (details of the) image quality.

I believe (personal opinion) that 33x44mm sensor is perfect for use on a view camera, due to far more lenses being compatible and ability to work with wider lenses than any other sensor size.

One can share the same lenses for all his tasks if he uses 54x40 sensor on a "non-movement" DSLR and then 44x33 on his view camera. After all, if one uses a tech camera, the abilities one adds, is far more important than using a larger sensor or improving on (details of the) image quality.
Talking about wide angles - I agree. For single exposure, 44x33 gets movement with Rodenstock 23HR, which is filter-friendly, and at the same time, wider than 54x40 with Rodenstock 32HR, which is filter-unfriendly.

You have to compare it to the IQ3100!!! I couldn't find the link to the actual comparison test, just the "article" on mirrorlessrumors.com That last sentence though... :ROTFL:
Last sentence is yet to be verified. Fuji is well-known for its highly inflated ISO numbers.

As a side note, CCD digital backs (e.g. 80MP and 60MP from Phase One) also seems to use the trick of inflated ISO numbers to hide its impotence of low light (supported by dxo numbers as well as forum posts about having to push in post-processing).

archivue

Talking about wide angles - I agree. For single exposure, 44x33 gets movement with Rodenstock 23HR, which is filter-friendly, and at the same time, wider than 54x40 with Rodenstock 32HR, which is filter-unfriendly.
are you using a CF filter with the 23 ?

i will test an iq150 tomorrow with my 28HR but don't have the center filter.

Last sentence is yet to be verified. Fuji is well-known for its highly inflated ISO numbers.

As a side note, CCD digital backs (e.g. 80MP and 60MP from Phase One) also seems to use the trick of inflated ISO numbers to hide its impotence of low light (supported by dxo numbers as well as forum posts about having to push in post-processing).
Just to be clear. I was NOT agreeing with the comment. I was laughing at the statements in general.

Fake news? Define "highly inflated." ISO is a standard. You can't use it if you don't follow it.
If you are looking for a good scientific article in English, I don't know. Though I know a good article in another language.

You can google search for "fuji inflated iso" and then you can get an idea about what it is. Alternatively, you could check the "ISO sensitivity" tab in dxomark and compare Fuji against other brands (e.g. X100 vs NEX-7).

jdphoto

The GFX does support HSS with the Fuji EX-500.

I have used HSS with the X-T2 up to 1/1000 and it worked quite well for my application.

May not work well for studio work however.

Paul Caldwell
What strobes are you using and do you achieve full power at theses sync speeds? Usually with HSS power is reduced. However, if Elinchrom makes an adapter for Fuji then you'll achieve full power sync with compatible units.

What strobes are you using and do you achieve full power at theses sync speeds? Usually with HSS power is reduced. However, if Elinchrom makes an adapter for Fuji then you'll achieve full power sync with compatible units.
They (Elinchrom) are working on one.

I think the differences on their face are enough to warrant a basic distinction between users. Personally I would use each basically as intended. The Fuji will be better with Fuji lenses, in traditional photographic situations. The Phase will be more adaptable to tech cams. Obviously the Fuji will be such a better 'all rounder', but there are certainly things that the Phase will do better on it's own.

I'd for sure go with the Fuji even excluding the adapted lenses. Personally I think the Fujinon line up sounds spectacular. That 23/4 is going to be a beaut, and a 110/2? Yes please.