The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lightroom / ACR now supports IQ3100

Great news!

Perhaps it would be safer to export LCC-corrected photos as DNG format from Capture One and rely on Lightroom, just in case one day we'll need to use non-Phase One medium format digital cameras without long-term workflow getting wrecked.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
For clarity the IQ3 100mp was already supported (in the normal IIQ L mode) and has been for the better part of a year. This update adds support for the IIQ L 16 bit mode.

If you're looking for relevant raw files you can download something like 40gb worth of IQ3 100mp raw files from our Phase One IQ3 100mp Raw File Catalog.

ErikKaffehr

Hi Doug,

Both Phase One and you have stated for may years that one of the advantages of Phase One was 16 bits and 16 bits colour. So I cannot see why Phase One needed to invent a new 16 bit file format to handle 16 bit data.

Best regards
Erik

For clarity the IQ3 100mp was already supported (in the normal IIQ L mode) and has been for the better part of a year. This update adds support for the IIQ L 16 bit mode.

If you're looking for relevant raw files you can download something like 40gb worth of IQ3 100mp raw files from our Phase One IQ3 100mp Raw File Catalog.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi Doug,

Both Phase One and you have stated for may years that one of the advantages of Phase One was 16 bits and 16 bits colour. So I cannot see why Phase One needed to invent a new 16 bit file format to handle 16 bit data.

Best regards
Erik
A quick search of Phase One's site yields that while 16 bit color has been available with CCD sensors for some time, this is the first time it has been achieved with CMOS. I don't know the veracity of the true 16 bit-ness in any of these claims, but it does explain the changed format.

Best,

Matt

Steve Hendrix

Hi Doug,

Best regards
Erik

Erik, the IQ1/IQ3 100 required a new format due to the sensor itself being 16 bit, rather than a 14 bit sensor.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Paul2660

A quick search of Phase One's site yields that while 16 bit color has been available with CCD sensors for some time, this is the first time it has been achieved with CMOS. I don't know the veracity of the true 16 bit-ness in any of these claims, but it does explain the changed format.

Best,

Matt
Hi Matt,

The CCD files have been claimed to be 16 bit for years I agree, however it's my understanding they are just 14 bit. The last two bits are basically noise. This has been shown in the tests where various photographers have drilled down into the images with raw digger and other programs. I don't believe even the IQ100 is true 16 bit, more like 15 bit as I remember but it does hold more date than the other camera files from P1. As Steve states the CCD sensor was 14 bit, at least the Kodak and early Dalsa, can't speak to the IQ380.

Paul Caldwell

iiiNelson

Hi Doug,

Best regards
Erik
Alternative facts maybe!?!

Gave LR a quick drive with my IQ3 100mp files and I'm rather pleasantly surprised by the quality of the conversion from Lightroom, especially color and tonality wise. Previously with the IQ180, I hated the LR output compared to C1, but with the IQ3 100, its a lot closer. While I would still use C1 for maximum IQ, I would definitely now consider LR when shooting in mixed camera scenarios (especially when shooting with an X1D or a GFX).

ErikKaffehr

Hi Steve,

I have always appreciated your straight, on the matter, comments.

My question was quiet a bit a rhetorical one, as both Phase One and Hasselblad long have used 16-bits in their marketing. I know that you always had reservations about that, so I always regarded you as the honest guy.

I wouldn't actually say that the CCD backs were 14-bit devices as they have analogue output, but I would say that they had less than 14 bits worth of data. So using 14 bit representation was a good engineering choice. The question is while Phase One and Hasselblad misstated the facts?

Best regards
Erik

Erik, the IQ1/IQ3 100 required a new format due to the sensor itself being 16 bit, rather than a 14 bit sensor.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Paul2660

LR seems to do very well, until you hit a file with a lot of push, say 2.5 to 3 stops under exposed. For some reason it seems to pull in a red color cast on the sides, that is made worst when you use available lens corrections.

Paul Caldwell