The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How to process GFX files with C1.

jdphoto

I don't think most are denying that the X1D and GFX are both revolutionary in the medium format world to bring user performance much closer to 35mm based systems. This is factual and true as they are the first truly unique mirrorless medium format systems built from the ground up with Leica S being the first MF system built from the ground up. As for the sensor tech the foundation is likely to be based on an "old" sensor with new modifications but that's just based on what I've read.

This is not meant to disparage either camera and I'm still evaluating the benefits of and deciding on buying into the Fuji system as I find it to be a bit more versatile FOR ME compared to the X1D. I'm leaning towards staying put on my Sony's and seeing what's right around the corner. At the root of it I'm happy with the Sony FE system but I'd like to see them implement the multiple aspect ratios in camera that Fuji GFX has (and yes I know I can do it in PP but I rather not if possible). I also expect to see some big announcements an more competition in MF in general with mirrorless making a much larger step forward (similar to how the A7RII feels leaps and bounds ahead of the A7R despite only 18 months in separation of release) in the next generation of cameras. I feel like that will truly be the time to "jump into" MF mirrorless.
I agree...
I'm very grateful I don't chase sensor tech in MFD anymore. I mean seriously, when does buying a 100MP DB not become enough? These planned obsolescence gimmicks and depreciation of gear in such short cycles does not bode well for the MFD industry. For 90% of the photographers I know, the Sony A7rII is one of the most innovative camera sensor combos ever. It ranks way above the P1 IQ 180 at DXO Mark. If you need MFD for 10% of your shoots then just rent the camera. This throw away consumerism idea with MFD cameras and DB's are far more insulting when your total depreciation of MFD, moments after the next DB is announced, can fund several top of the line Sony A7R II's or a mirrorless X1D, GFX or for that matter, a Leica SL. And with the announcement of the new Sony A9 or Sony A7R3 perhaps at (70MP) this is going to be interesting. I looked at my 6x7 film negs in comparison to the dimensions of a MFDB and sometimes wonder how did photographers become so lazy?

Last edited:

Iktinos

Not Available
I assumed you were suggesting that processing GFX files in C1 may make sense, even after you noted that Fuji had a special version of the sensor. If you were not, my mistake.
Of course it makes sense, C1 and Hasselblad's phocus are proven pro quality software solutions.

And yes, I know that Fuji has done something to customize the microlenses for the Sony sensor. I have no idea as to what the real world, practical effect of this customization is on image quality. I surely wouldn't trust Fuji marketing materials for the answer. I suspect nobody here really has the sensor design expertise to KNOW the answer. Moreover, the ultimate image quality out of the GFX is the product of a multitude of factors in the whole image processing pipeline, from the sensor, to the lenses, to the raw processor, to the profiles, etc. How one would isolate the special microlenses, I have no idea.
No one "isolated" the special microlenses that Fuji has adapted on their customized version of the Sony sensor. I only mentioned that it is not the same sensor like all the rest are using, it is a customized version that Fuji has tweaked as to adapt it (mechanically) in their requirements. Whether they did it right it remains to be proven, but given the trouble and expenses they've put into the process and given Fuji's long tradition and experience with the MF format and optics, one should expect that they had a very good reason as to tweak the sensor.

hcubell

Of course it makes sense, C1 and Hasselblad's phocus are proven pro quality software solutions.

No one "isolated" the special microlenses that Fuji has adapted on their customized version of the Sony sensor. I only mentioned that it is not the same sensor like all the rest are using, it is a customized version that Fuji has tweaked as to adapt it (mechanically) in their requirements. Whether they did it right it remains to be proven, but given the trouble and expenses they've put into the process and given Fuji's long tradition and experience with the MF format and optics, one should expect that they had a very good reason as to tweak the sensor.
This is all just endless speculation about issues for which none of us has the answers. If you want to believe Fuji's marketing spiel and that Fuji has customized the Sony sensor in a way that makes the images coming out of the GFX better than the Hasselblad, Phase and Pentax systems using the same sensor, please go ahead. It's a harmless fantasy.
BTW, why are you Theodoros on the Fuji GFX Facebook page, and Iktinos here?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
It's pretty obvious what they meant.
if were going to point out all the grammatical bombs and misspelled words from members here, especially, lack of punctuation. That would be a long thread!
I would have to ban myself. LOL

k-hawinkler

Don't you love it when the spellchecker corrects Mitakon to Mistaken? :LOL:
Maybe it knows something I don't. :banghead: