The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D vs. Fuji GFX - my experiences

I’m probably going to regret this, but as I currently own both systems and all lenses available for these systems, I figured I’d share my initial thoughts and findings. I should caveat that I’ve only used them for several hours over the last few days. I’ll be out of town this weekend so won’t have a chance for more detailed comparisons (boo) but hopefully next week.

I started writing a post here but then I wanted to be able to leave it open to add additional bits as I have time in the coming weeks so decided to put something on my site:

Aravind Krishnaswamy | Hasselblad X1D vs. Fuji GFX

Feel free to throw questions or thoughts here. If there are other things people are curious about, let me know.

UPDATE: Disregard the brightness differences and color, it appears to be because of a poor implementation of GFX support in Lightroom. I don't see the brightness differences in Irident.

Last edited:

tjv

Interesting comparisons. Were they processed in the latest revision of Lightroom, released in the last couple of days? I.e. After official support was added for the GFX?

Yes, processed after getting the latest Lightroom with support yesterday.

Interesting comparisons. Were they processed in the latest revision of Lightroom, released in the last couple of days? I.e. After official support was added for the GFX?

Audii-Dudii

Out of curiosity, why did you buy both systems, instead of one or the other?

Also, will the X1D work without a lens attached?

The reason I ask, is because if I was to buy one, I would also want to use it as a back for my medium-format view camera and for the majority of the photography I do with that -- long-exposure, nighttime stuff -- the exposures are long enough that I don't need a shutter, either electronic or manual.

So long as the sensor will start recording an image (with the camera in bulb mode and no lens attached) when the shutter button is pushed and stop recording when it's released, then the X1D will work fine for my purposes. :)

Although I was successful in working with my P30+ back this way by using the Kapture Group device to start and stop it, my guess is that the X1D's firmware will prevent this from happening when there is no lens attached to the body. (You can test this by seeing if it will take a photo with a body cap mounted on the body.)

Thanks!

Last edited:

Boinger

The reason I ask, is because if I was to buy one, I would also want to use it as a back for my medium-format view camera and for the majority of the photography I do with that -- long-exposure, nighttime stuff -- the exposures are long enough that I don't need a shutter, either electronic or manual.

So long as the sensor will start recording an image (with the camera in bulb mode and no lens attached) when the shutter button is pushed and stop recording when it's released, then the X1D will work fine for my purposes. :)

Although I was successful in working with my P30+ back this way by using the Kapture Group device to start and stop it, my guess is that the X1D's firmware will prevent this from happening when there is no lens attached to the body. (You can test this by seeing if it will take a photo with a body cap mounted on the body.)

Thanks!
The X1d will not work like that as it does not have a focal plane shutter. As far as I know there are no adapters to mount it to a medium format view camera either.

The gfx would work as you want it to though.

Well done! This review is invaluable, and saves me lots of time and effort! I've found exactly what I wanted to know, e.g. inflated ISO numbers of Fuji, as well as long exposure without darkframe noise reduction with shadow push! Most normal users wouldn't know how to do a "real" review like this :grin:

Now the only question remaining is whether Fuji's sensor cover glass design would lead to smearing/astigmatism/curvature for adapted wide angle lenses due to the 9mm gap.

Audii-Dudii

The X1d will not work like that as it does not have a focal plane shutter. As far as I know there are no adapters to mount it to a medium format view camera either.

The gfx would work as you want it to though.
You missed my point: I don't need a shutter of any type, period!

For most of the photography I do, the minimum exposure is 30 seconds and the maximum exposure is a couple of minutes, both of which can be timed accurately enough using a watch with an illuminated dial and a second hand. (And a lens cap over the lens can provide the dark needed while the sensor does its read-out voodoo and/or in between photos.)

For my purposes, all I need a camera to do is display an image on the LCD so I can compose and focus, then start and stop recording an image when I push and release the shutter button.

The lack of a readily available lens adapter also isn't an insurmountable issue, as there are any number of machinists who can easily make one (potentially including even myself, using the facilities of a public maker's space shop.)

Besides, since I will be mounting the camera to my view camera via the tripod hole on its bottom, all I need is a way to connect the body to the camera's bellows and keep the dark inside, so even a drilled-out, plastic body cap will be more than sufficient for my setup.

The GFX's form-factor, due to the larger size of its built-in grip, will be somewhat more problematic for me to work with ... not impossible, but definitely more problematic.

Finally, I think the X1D will be a much better camera for the other type of photography I do when it isn't being used as a back on my view camera.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

You missed my point: I don't need a shutter of any type, period!

For most of the photography I do, the minimum exposure is 30 seconds and the maximum exposure is a couple of minutes, both of which can be timed accurately enough using a watch with an illuminated dial and a second hand. (And a lens cap over the lens can provide the dark needed while the sensor does its read-out voodoo and/or in between photos.)

For my purposes, all I need a camera to do is display an image on the LCD so I can compose and focus, then start and stop recording an image when I push and release the shutter button.

The lack of a readily available lens adapter also isn't an insurmountable issue, as there are any number of machinists who can easily make one (potentially including even myself, using the facilities of a public maker's space shop.)

Besides, since I will be mounting the camera to my view camera via the tripod hole on its bottom, all I need is a way to connect the body to the camera's bellows and keep the dark inside, so even a drilled-out, plastic body cap will be more than sufficient for my setup.

The GFX's form-factor, due to the larger size of its built-in grip, will be somewhat more problematic for me to work with ... not impossible, but definitely more problematic.

Finally, I think the X1D will be a much better camera for the other type of photography I do when it isn't being used as a back on my view camera.
How is the X1D gonna start and stop the shutter for a 30 second exposure without a built in shutter on the camera? The shutter is in the lens and the shutter release triggers the lens.

Wasn't intentional. After trying both out at Photokina last fall, I decided to get the GFX, but recently had the opportunity to pick up the X1D kit. I've learned over the years that reviewers' views on cameras don't always align with my needs or my priorities.

Thanks!
You definitely can't do this today with the X1D and the only way I can see to do this in the future is if there is a firmware update that enables electronic shutter. The GFX has it but the X1D does not and its unclear that Hasselblad can just add it with a firmware update (hopefully they do).

Audii-Dudii

How is the X1D gonna start and stop the shutter for a 30 second exposure without a built in shutter on the camera? The shutter is in the lens and the shutter release triggers the lens.
It depends upon the camera, which is why I asked.

As I said, I expect it's highly unlikely that the X1D's firmware will allow this, but for the record, I am able to manually start and stop my P30+ digital back without using a shutter, so it's not completely outside the realm of possibility.

And Yes, I am a bit of an outlier in the way I use my cameras, so sue me! :D

Audii-Dudii

Wasn't intentional. After trying both out at Photokina last fall, I decided to get the GFX, but recently had the opportunity to pick up the X1D kit. I've learned over the years that reviewers' views on cameras don't always align with my needs or my priorities.
I have learned the same lesson myself, especially because the way I typically use my cameras is so far outside the norm that most reviews are completely useless in helping me judge their suitability for my purposes. <shrugs>

You definitely can't do this today with the X1D and the only way I can see to do this in the future is if there is a firmware update that enables electronic shutter. The GFX has it but the X1D does not and its unclear that Hasselblad can just add it with a firmware update (hopefully they do).
I had assumed as much, but now I know for certain ... thanks!

V

Vivek

Aravind, Since this is a work in progress I will check back for additions.

One thought: the "fancy" color charts to judge color accuracy are not that "fancy" or even expensive considering the gear you are dealing with. It is just a matter time and effort you need to invest to make such analyses.

Paul2660

The Adobe LR/ACR conversion of higher ISO files is not that good IMO. Just how good the files are, takes C1, (see my other post). C1 pulls amazing clarity out the images @ ISO 2500 and 3200 pushed 1 stop. LR shows a lot of mush in the colors especially transitions, like brown leaves against a grey tree line. And the finer details just are gone, at least from what I have been able to see.

Paul Caldwell

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Thanks for an interesting posting! Your efforts are much appreciated.

Best regards
Erik

I’m probably going to regret this, but as I currently own both systems and all lenses available for these systems, I figured I’d share my initial thoughts and findings. I should caveat that I’ve only used them for several hours over the last few days. I’ll be out of town this weekend so won’t have a chance for more detailed comparisons (boo) but hopefully next week.

I started writing a post here but then I wanted to be able to leave it open to add additional bits as I have time in the coming weeks so decided to put something on my site:

Aravind Krishnaswamy | Hasselblad X1D vs. Fuji GFX

Feel free to throw questions or thoughts here. If there are other things people are curious about, let me know.

Last edited:
Disregard the brightness differences and comments on color. I just tried it with a trial of Irident and the files between the GFX and X1D are very similar. It appears to be a poor implementation of GFX support in this version of Lightroom. Hopefully they are going to fix it in the next version.

2WK

I always find it amusing that the apparently tiny company Irident can write better code and give better results than Adobe which must have a massive fleet of programmers and developers. :wtf:

rmatthews

I always find it amusing that the apparently tiny company Irident can write better code and give better results than Adobe which must have a massive fleet of programmers and developers. :wtf:
I always find it frustrating!
Biggest drawback for me on x series cameras was knowing that Id be doing myself a disservice by not using Iridient even though it was awkward for my workflow. I'd understand Adobe not optimising for Fuji if it was a tiny manufacturer but the x series is incredibly popular and x-trans files just never looked that great in Lightroom. I'm surprised Adobe is having issues with the GFX as it isn't x-trans but given their history with Fuji and the fact that GFX sales numbers will be orders of magnitude lower than other X series cameras, I wouldn't be willing just yet to bet £6k on them fixing it!
Btw, I think Iridient is not just small, it is ONE guy.

Puma Cat

Agreed, and I've observed this since 2014 when I started using Iridient. Iridient Digltal is just one man, Brian Griffith, but it's clear that he can do things that neither Adobe nor Capture One can do. Adobe should just hire him and put him in charge of RAW conversion/demosaicing (and I'm not the first person to think this, either! ;))