The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D vs. Fuji GFX - my experiences

Paul2660

C1 conversion on the GFX files is very good actually. Especially the higher ISO shots. LR has a ways to go IMO.

Paul Caldwell

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I always find it amusing that the apparently tiny company Irident can write better code and give better results than Adobe which must have a massive fleet of programmers and developers. :wtf:
Perhaps the programmer at Irident has an affinity for these cameras ... those at Adobe may see them as bottom of the sludge pond ...
not enough sales to qualify for top tier accommodation. And whether it is better code or just a momentary advantage remains to be
seen.

We all get our knickers in a bunch when a new new camera is introduced ... if we like Pavlov's dogs are impressed then everyone else
must be .... hard to imagine that the universe does not rotate around the earth ... or us.

That is to me the amusement

Bob

Puma Cat

I always find it frustrating!
Biggest drawback for me on x series cameras was knowing that Id be doing myself a disservice by not using Iridient even though it was awkward for my workflow. I'd understand Adobe not optimising for Fuji if it was a tiny manufacturer but the x series is incredibly popular and x-trans files just never looked that great in Lightroom. I'm surprised Adobe is having issues with the GFX as it isn't x-trans but given their history with Fuji and the fact that GFX sales numbers will be orders of magnitude lower than other X series cameras, I wouldn't be willing just yet to bet £6k on them fixing it!
Btw, I think Iridient is not just small, it is ONE guy.
FWIW, a photographer on the FB GFX group very kindly sent me the RAF of an excellent photo of a bridge and cathedral he took at night with his GFX and the 63mm lens. I did conversions in LR, C1 and Iridient, and my favorite is the conversion by Iridient.

I went back and took a closer look at the Irident conversions vs. Lightroom for both cameras. Its all here shared here on Google Drive for those interested:

https://goo.gl/Zjavzb

Comparing the Irident GFX conversion to the Lightroom conversion, they are very similar. However, the difference is noticeable in how Lightroom renders the X1D file vs. how Irident renders it. Both claim to use the embedded color xform matrix in the raw file so I'm at a loss why there is such a dramatic difference.

Godfrey

I went back and took a closer look at the Irident conversions vs. Lightroom for both cameras. Its all here shared here on Google Drive for those interested:

https://goo.gl/Zjavzb

Comparing the Irident GFX conversion to the Lightroom conversion, they are very similar. However, the difference is noticeable in how Lightroom renders the X1D file vs. how Irident renders it. Both claim to use the embedded color xform matrix in the raw file so I'm at a loss why there is such a dramatic difference.
No two raw converters ever render identical to one another on their defaults. Not that I've seen anyway.

G

No two raw converters ever render identical to one another on their defaults. Not that I've seen anyway.

G
I agree and I'm not claiming that they should be. However look at the difference in conversion between Lightroom and Irident for the GFX vs. the X1D. The X1D files are significantly different, a level of difference that I don't often see even between different converters. Also the GFX files between the two are way more similar.

tjv

I held an X1d today–couldn't turn it on as it was another customers brand new unit and they didn't want me to!–and the build, feel and ergonomics is certainly on another planet to the GFX. It's a little unfair to say this I guess, as it's pretty clear that the two cameras are in fact aiming at different markets. On feel and build quality alone, I'd go the X1d without hesitation. If the menu is the same or similar to the H6's, then that's another definite win for the X1d (I hate the Fuji menu.) I can't comment on the EVF or focusing performance obviously, but if I was in the market now I know which one I'd buy, pending some tests of course. If only the GFX existed I wouldn't want to buy it, at least going by my admittedly very subjective criteria.

Quentin_Bargate

During my first run out with the GFX 50s, two things struck me. First, the superb quality of the results and obviously the lenses that make that possible. Second, the pretty poor ergonomics.

I found myself accidentally turning off the rear screen, accidentally pushing the "q" button on the right in the middle of composing a shot, and other errors. No doubt beginners mistakes with this camera, but Fuji should consult a leading designer to redesign the control layout so it is less obviously random.
Also I notice in quiet conditions that the lenses make noises when the camera is on and moved even when not focussing. And if you stop down, focus, then take your finger off of the shutter release button, the lens opens back up in rapid steps, not instantly, and the viewfinder / rear LCD screen flckers slightly in the process.

Still love the camera, but very definitely quirky.

Last edited:

Paul2660

Hi Quentin:

I hear you on the Q button, very strange layout. I hit it a lot also.

The lenses and the noise are due to the AF and OIS system by Fuji. The OIS floating elements seems to always be in motion, even with the OIS off. I agree in a quiet room, you will hear the system. I hear this on the 120mm more than the 32-64. And it's possible the sound is more noticeable between different copies of the same lens, as my 50-140 is very loud when compared to others. If you move to a non Fuji lens, this of course goes away, like an H lens with the Fuji adapter. I have not noticed the blinking in the LCD, but on the EVF it is noticeable along with quite a bit of morie like effect at times. Using the Lexar 1000x card and I see inconsistent write times, sometimes very fast, others quite slow not sure what would cause that.

My main issue is in the preview zoom, as the default is way beyond a 100% view at least from what I consider 100%. At first it appeared most of my shots were out of focus until I realized you need to zoom out quite a bit. Other would be the Focus by Wire design and the fact that you lose your focus point when turning off the camera, or going from Capture mode to playback. I would prefer a MF clutch on the lenses at least the primes like Fuji did on the X series.

I do love the ability to pinch to zoom like on the iPhone and the zooming in/out process is very fast. Tilting screen, is great just like the X series. Actually the menu system follows pretty much the X-T2 also so for me at least easy.

Strange with the manual the stuff Fuji left out, or at least I can't find.

DOF preview is barely covered, but with help I have determined, you can zoom in with Live View with DOF on, but need to be in M mode, so checking for focus shift is possible (not that I have noticed any problems) and in M mode, you can use the AF-L button to "focus Check" basically use the AF system to obtain focus. In low light, AF is workable, but many times my camera is a bit off, where as in bright light dead on.

Fuji in the past has added firmware to fix some issues, but for sure the Q button we are stuck with.

Paul Caldwell

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Amazing how things have changed. Personally I'm leaning more towards Hassy mainly because of sync speed and software. But I'm another year away as I want to see more of a system hit the streets. But I have to say I'm impressed by both of them. Keep the night light on folks, I'll get here. LOL

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Not that anyone here would be caught dead with a Leica S, but this is interesting:
Lecia S, 120/2.5 and Fuji GFX, 120/4

FWIW, the X1D and its 3 lenses weigh 5 lbs. The Fuji and its three lenses (macro and zoom are heavier) weigh 7 lbs, and the Leica S with an equivalent three lenses to either one weighs 10 lbs.

OK, back into my cave.... :)

Matt

Godfrey

... The X1D is soooo well built and sooo simple to use and sooo easy to hand hold that I wouldn't begin to consider a medium format alternative. The three initial lenses are stellar performers, very well corrected, and razor sharp corner to corner. My experience so far with the X1D is better than I had expected. There are still some bugs and quirks which I trust will be addressed with firmware updates, but overall the camera is the most fun camera I've used in a long, long time.
I await the 22mm lens (and the 120mm Macro lens). It's all that's stopping me, other than the money... :D

G

2WK

Interesting size comparison.
17191441_1413011885417927_3762462649134773903_n.jpg

Personally I think the big pentax mirror box is a small price to pay for an optical viewfinder.

I posted this comparison in the "Where is the X1D" thread in January:

I fully agree. The X1D is soooo well built and sooo simple to use and sooo easy to hand hold that I wouldn't begin to consider a medium format alternative. The three initial lenses are stellar performers, very well corrected, and razor sharp corner to corner. My experience so far with the X1D is better than I had expected. There are still some bugs and quirks which I trust will be addressed with firmware updates, but overall the camera is the most fun camera I've used in a long, long time.

Joe

The X1D is also exceeding my expectations, though my expectations were low after trying it at Photokina :). I think the vast majority of the quirks can be addressed by firmware, the only one that can't is the lack of joystick for fast AF point selection. I find AF point selection on the X1D to be so slow that I use focus recompose or manual focus (which is joy). Maybe they could do a firmware update where the back screen still works for AF point selection while looking through the VF (I think some cameras already do this today like the EM1-II, so its not a stretch).