The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lee 105 mm Polarizer

pesto

Anyone know if the Lee SW 105 filter holder (the one designed to fit on the out side of the lens) will produce vignetting with the Rodenstock 32 and movements. I have tried the standard filter holder with the 86 mm adapter and can not use much more than 5mm along the long axis. It looks as though the SW 105 moves everything back and would less of a problem.

Thanks,

Douglas

Paul2660

As you are at 105mm, I will assume you have the CF on.

No, the 105mm Lee is very thin, and you will not see any affect from it up to around 15mm of shift.

You can also purchase the Lee Wide angle adapter ring @ 105mm and it will fit over the CF, screws into the threads. This will allow you to use the standard Lee SW 150 kit on the 32mm.

My current setup however is the 105mm Lee CL-PL or B+W both @ 105mm, then I have 2 Hitech Firecrest 105mm ND filters, both very thin and excellent glass that I can also screw into the front of the polarizer.

Only issue on the Lee CL-PL is to me it is a very warmish filter and adds that to your shots.

B+W is more neutral.

Paul Caldwell

pesto

Thank you Paul. I am not using a center filter here. Lee makes an adapter that puts the filter holder on the outside of the lens and thus moves the entire mess back away from the front element where as the threaded adapter protrudes a few mm. This should solve the vignetting problem, or so the people at Lee tell me. I just had hoped to hear from someone who has actually used this set up for confirmation.

Douglas.

beano_z

As you are at 105mm, I will assume you have the CF on.

No, the 105mm Lee is very thin, and you will not see any affect from it up to around 15mm of shift.

You can also purchase the Lee Wide angle adapter ring @ 105mm and it will fit over the CF, screws into the threads. This will allow you to use the standard Lee SW 150 kit on the 32mm.

My current setup however is the 105mm Lee CL-PL or B+W both @ 105mm, then I have 2 Hitech Firecrest 105mm ND filters, both very thin and excellent glass that I can also screw into the front of the polarizer.

Only issue on the Lee CL-PL is to me it is a very warmish filter and adds that to your shots.

B+W is more neutral.

Paul Caldwell
Not meant to hijack the thread too much, but how are your experiences using GND's on this setup? I'm thinking the SW 150 kit, after the centre filter and a polariser / ND filter will limit the left / right movements quite severely?

Paul2660

Thank you Paul. I am not using a center filter here. Lee makes an adapter that puts the filter holder on the outside of the lens and thus moves the entire mess back away from the front element where as the threaded adapter protrudes a few mm. This should solve the vignetting problem, or so the people at Lee tell me. I just had hoped to hear from someone who has actually used this set up for confirmation.

Douglas.
Hi Douglas,

I probably rambled. Lee makes a 86mm, 95mm and 105mm wide angle ring, which will screw into the course threads of the Rodie 32mm. This then will let your SW-150 work fine. You can get a lot of movement with this setup, at least 15mm of shift and or rise and fall. I have the 86mm and 105mm as I will sometimes not use the CF on the 32mm. I have both the 86mm and 105mm since I wanted to have the ability to use the CF at times (makes a big difference on shifts).

The only issue is the mass of the setup (which is why I moved back to the filters for a lot of work). The ring is heavy, the Sw-150 is heavy and then you have the filters. It puts a lot of weight out in front of the outer element of the 32mm. This lens is very pretty front heavy already, and you have to be very careful when moving the lens with the SW-150 and wide angle adapter ring. But it works very well. Lee has has modified the light shield and it's much more effective in blocking out reflections. I use this setup with the Lee stoppers when I am playing around with really long exposures.

Paul Caldwell