The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase1 100MP IQ1/IQ3...Portrait shooters...!!

aztwang

Hello portrait shooters!! I am very curious what ya'lls comments and feedback are on the 100MP back when its used in the in the studio or on location shooting beautiful people.
We have seen many comments and comparisons when it comes to shooting landscape images and when it's mounted to a Technical camera but not so much when its focused on a beautiful smile and honestly,I kind of expected that.
Lets talk any differences we see with this back, whatever it may be.
One difference I assume would be the Leaf profiles which I hear are supposed to rock when it comes to "Skin"!

Im excited to hear ya'lls comments.

Thank You

Don McPhee

kdphotography

The IQ3 100 offers me a bit more flexibility with regard to shooting at higher ISO settings, making it easier to balance studio strobes with ambient when on location, particularly around sunset, allowing me to shoot and spend more time with clients.

The Phase XF and IQ3 100 combination is a perfect match. AF performance is a large generational advance over previous bodies---not even comparable. Built-in Profoto Air on the XF, Leaf shutter lenses----what a combination!!

:thumbup: ken

Craig Stocks

I did a shoot of the on-air talent for a local TV station and I was amazed how dark studios are these days. The setup had me shooting in the dark part of the studio using the lit set as the background so I had to balance flash on the talent with the set in the background. I ended up at ISO 400, 1/25th of a second @ f/5.6 and had turn strobes w/ softboxes way down. The IQ3100 handled the ISO with no problem at all where I would have been cautious about it with my previous IQ260. The camera was on a tripod so the shutter speed wasn't an issue and the talent was just a silhouette without the strobes.

Frederic

Not a professional portait shooter but I notice good colors when I see them :grin:

From my limited experience the Leaf profiles definitely help save time and get quicker/closer to the end result (colorwise), although I find the P1 Portrait profile to be very good too.

dnercesian

I am currently in the test shoot phases of a long term portrait project using the IQ300 on a Cambo Actus DB2 with a Rodie 90mm HR SW and adding the 180mm I think as well. So far with the 90mm, in the short time that I have begun testing, things look excellent. The combination of that back and optics makes for a very crisp image.

Now my project is more black and white, but in loading the raw files to C1, I am seeing that the color images are actually EXTREMELY close right off the bat. I almost feel like I am doing something wrong by not spending any time on them in post. Have to say I am really pleased by this setup.

For reference, I am shooting indoors at ISO 50 with a fully controlled lighting setup, so unlike my day job shooting architecture, I get to call ALL the lighting shots. Makes me wish my daily grind was always in the studio!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Not a professional portait shooter but I notice good colors when I see them :grin:

From my limited experience the Leaf profiles definitely help save time and get quicker/closer to the end result (colorwise), although I find the P1 Portrait profile to be very good too.
We hosted a lecture on Leaf Color that is relevant to anyone who hasn't had the chance to work with a Leaf back. Of course the best thing is to play with the camera or the raw files and we're glad to help with that too.

contrastimagine

I have the XF/IQ3-100 and dig it for portraits (especially with the Leaf profiles).

For reference: if memory serves, only the first and third were processed with the Leaf profiles. The other three were not. I have many others using the Leaf profiles, but since it only became available fairly recently, many of my portrait shots were not processed with it and I don't have many of those that were with me at the moment.

Samples below (some are cropped to make them "safe for work").sarah-nude-profile CROP.jpgHannah-black-lingerie-with-curtains.jpgsarah-kiss-implied.jpgBecky-shorts-1.jpgMickee-bathroom-1-CROP.jpg

dnercesian

Here are a couple of test shots for a long term project I am working on. These were taken with the IQ3100 & 90mm HR SW on the Cambo Actus DB2.