The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX 32-64 Zoom v. Hasselblad X1D 30 and 45mm Primes

algrove

In my experience with fast wides (f/2 or faster) they usually perform best in the f/4-8 range for landscape or street shots.

Regarding these two shots I believe it's possible that Fuji is doing "file cooking" but I prefer the look of it to the Hasselblad.
Hey, like the French chefs or cooks say, when you have a good recipe stick with it.

ErikKaffehr

Hi Christopher,

I was considering more like mid center performance or rather performance in the sweet spot of the lens. It is not easy to test for corners, as I would need a large test target for that. Yes, I know about brick wall tests.

The lenses I had on mind were:

Sonnar 150/4, Sonnar 180/4, Planar 100/3.5 on the Hasselblad. With 135 I have tested the Minolta 100/2.8 macro and Sony 90/2.8G Macro as far as I recall the 100/2.8 macro has peaked at f/5.6 and the 90/2.8G at f/4.

The question is how much improvement there is in the corners when stopping down. The main aberration may be field curvature and stopping down increases the depth of focus, so that may help.

Not so much MTF data available for MFD cameras, but there is a lot of data for 135 mm lenses from lens rentals:

Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 08.19.57.jpgScreen Shot 2017-03-13 at 08.20.05.jpg

The example here is the 24-70/2.8 lens at 50 mm, you are right that corners improve when stopping down but the central part looses some sharpness.

I am actually shooting f/8 on 135 and f/11 on MFD, mostly. But, assuming real good lenses I would use a larger aperture for comparisons.

Here is an old aperture comparison I made a few years ago with the Hasselblad/Zeiss lenses I owned at that time, apertures used f/4, f/8 and f/16.

http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/Shoots/BernardSamples/CastleShoot/

Best regards
Erik

Sorry Erik, but what lenses are we talking about ? I have shot so many different ones and really don't know a lot which reach their best performance at f4 or f5,6 in the corners. Nearly all lenses show better corner performance at f8 and even f11.

Sure I'm not talking about center or mid center performance. There it is clear that f8 already shows diffraction.

Christopher

Ok, we are on the same page. Mid center can be best even at f2.8.

I personally was most interested in corner performance, as for me it's important for stitching. Or let's say 2/3 corners. :)