The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Comparing Different RAW convertors on Fuji GFX RAF file

Puma Cat

hmed Gencal at the Fuji GFX forum very kindly send me a copy of a terrific RAF image he took of the Hohenzollern bridge in Köln, Germany with the GFX so I could look at it in Lightroom, Capture One 10, and Iridient Developer.

To open the image in C1, I imported the file into LR and converted the RAF to DNG and then imported into C1 10 after editing the EXIF information in the DNG file to look like a P1 IQ250. I applied a Fuji X-T1 Provia ICC profile to the image and then exported as a JPEG 1600 pixels wide in sRGB at 100% at 218 PPI (so you can look at them on a Retina display).

For the Iridient version, I ran Iridient as a plug-in in LR on the base RAF file, saved it as a 240 ppi TIFF in Adobe RGB, and then exported both the LR and Iridient images from LR as sRGB JPEGs 1600 pixels wide at 100% at 218 PPI with the Provia profile applied under the Camera Calibration menu (note that I cloned out the bright speck upper left in the LR version, but not in C1).

All conversions were done at the default settings for each convertor with virtually no adjustments.

Image copyright by Ahmed Gencal, 2017

Here they are for your review.

Lightroom conversion:

Capture One:

and finally, Iridient:

I'll let you guys review and comment and chime in with my own thoughts...

I will say that the detail this camera can capture is nothing short of amazing.

thrice

To me it looks like Iridient>Lightroom>C1 in these examples. Looking at the transition to saturated blue in the reflection and the natural contrast. C1 seems to have crushed the heck out of the blacks.

tjv

To me it looks like Iridient>Lightroom>C1 in these examples. Looking at the transition to saturated blue in the reflection and the natural contrast. C1 seems to have crushed the heck out of the blacks.

Yeah, me too. I wonder why though other tests seem to suggest LR's high ISO conversions are way behind. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Puma Cat

I concur. It possible that the C1 conversion result was due to it being imported as a DNG from LR.

For me, its Iridient>LR>C1, too. The C1 image looked even worse until I applied an X-T1 Provia ICC profile to it.

Puma Cat

Yes, it's way too contrasty. Also the color is an odd gray-ish color cast on the cathedral. It's hard see on these JPEGs, but viewing TIFFs in 16-bit full size on my 5K Retina iMac, IRD shows more detail in the shadows on the brick bridge supports.