The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Longest LF Lens for IQ3100?

dnercesian

I am working on a portrait project with my IQ3100 on a view camera. I recently received my 90mm HR SW which is fantastic, but I would like to also have an option to put some more distance between me and the subject. I hear the 180mm Rodie is pretty great too, but wanted to check with you guys to see if anyone has any other suggestions that are that long or maybe a little longer that would resolve well with the IQ3100. Thanks!

vjbelle

I don't shoot portraits but do own the Schneider 180mm and it is very sharp with a large image circle. The Rody 180mm has a very small image circle - something to consider if you ever intend on shifting. 210mm Schneider lenses are still around at Linhof Studio.

Victor

dnercesian

How about something like the Rodie Apo-Sironar-S 210mm. I have never used an older lens like this on a modern sensor and am wondering what might one expect in combination with the IQ3100.

beano_z

I don't shoot portraits but do own the Schneider 180mm and it is very sharp with a large image circle. The Rody 180mm has a very small image circle - something to consider if you ever intend on shifting. 210mm Schneider lenses are still around at Linhof Studio.

Victor
If you're talking about this Rodie, yes, the specified image circle is quite small, however, in real use the image circle is only limited by the ALPA mount (in my case since I use the ALPA) and not as small as Rodenstock specified, so basically left/right shifts of 18mm is possible on a IQ3100 with similar sharpness to its Schneider counterpart. But technicality aside, I doubt there will be much shifting when shooting portraits?

http://www.alpa.ch/en/article/hr-alpar-5-6180-mm-sb34

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I use the Schneider 210/5.6 Symmar and it works great when stopped down to f/11 or f/16 with the IQ3100. I've only shot on my Actus DB+ but I was pleasantly surprised at how sharp it was even with extreme movements.

My lens wasn't great at f/8 but improves significantly at f/11 & f/16. I can send you some landscape examples at the weekend - on the road for business until then.

I also have Rodie 180 examples too. Also 135/5.6 Sironar APO Digital too.

Attachments

dnercesian

Thanks Graham! I would love to see some of those shots when you have the time. For what I am doing, f/11 & f/16 would work quite well, especially at those focal lengths, as I would want the extra DOF. I am pretty sure I am going to get the latest Rodie 180mm, but it may not be right away, which is why I am considering the Apo-Sironar-S 210mm or something of the like.

gerald.d

How about the old Mamiya 300/2.8?

That could be interesting.

You can never go too long for portrait shots. I've had mine shot with the Canon 1200/5.6 :ROTFL:

Frederic

FWIW I plan on testing some of my 4x5 lenses with the IQ3100 next weekend :

Apo-Sironar N 135
Apo-Sironar S 150
Apo-Ronar 240

Although I don't expect the sharpness to be on par with the Digaron HR, the Ronar should be interesting for tight portraiture.

DougDolde

I use the Schneider 210/5.6 Symmar and it works great when stopped down to f/11 or f/16 with the IQ3100. I've only shot on my Actus DB+ but I was pleasantly surprised at how sharp it was even with extreme movements.
What Arca Swiss model is that??

gerald.d

How about the old Mamiya 300/2.8?

That could be interesting.

You can never go too long for portrait shots. I've had mine shot with the Canon 1200/5.6 :ROTFL:
Finally got around to doing a quick test.

300/2.8 mounted on an ALPA TC with the required adapters, shot wide open and subject distance around 4 meters.

All sharpening turned off, all settings in C1 except for white balance untouched (we have very strong filters on the windows due to the intense sun here in Dubai).

Full frame -

Crop on what I focused on -

And of course, I just had to also (100% crop)...

If anyone is interested in a RAW, or would like other aperture settings tested, just let me know.

Very impressed with this electronic shutter, I must say.

Kind regards,

Gerald.