The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HTS 1.5 with X1D

tashley

Subscriber Member
Has anyone tried this combination? I assume that the only lenses that might work (if the setup works at all?) would be the ones recommended for pairing with it on an H series.

I'm no Hassy expert, I have no experience with or knowledge of the wider product range. So I assume that to use the HTS with the X1D it would need not only the correct H lenses but also the XH Lens Adapter?

Any advice gratefully received. If I can make this work without significant loss of resolution, I might sell my IQ180 (and avoid the expensive upgrade I was considering to an IQ3 100) and my Alpa/Rodenstock setup. Could be a big saving of money and system duplication.

Iktinos

Not Available
Has anyone tried this combination? I assume that the only lenses that might work (if the setup works at all?) would be the ones recommended for pairing with it on an H series.

I'm no Hassy expert, I have no experience with or knowledge of the wider product range. So I assume that to use the HTS with the X1D it would need not only the correct H lenses but also the XH Lens Adapter?

Any advice gratefully received. If I can make this work without significant loss of resolution, I might sell my IQ180 (and avoid the expensive upgrade I was considering to an IQ3 100) and my Alpa/Rodenstock setup. Could be a big saving of money and system duplication.
The HTS adapter uses a built in TC as to expand the lenses native image circle by 50%.

Although the (original) lenses are of fine performance for the image circle size they are meant to cope with when attached on a Hasselblad H camera, one should expect the inevitable resolution degradation due to the teleconverter expanding the image circle of the original lens.

tcdeveau

You are correct that you'd need the XH adapter as well. Ming Thein has stated in the referenced article (and on Facebook I think) that the X1D/XH/HTS combo produces results that are of similar quality as the H/HTS combo. I'd obviously definitely want to do a demo before making a decision like what you're proposing, however I'm not sure how easy that would be. I wouldn't be too concerned about image degradation as I haven't read of anyone complaining about this issue with the HTS in practice. FWIW Ming Thein replied to a comment of mine on Facebook saying that the results he got with the H6D-100c/HTS/24mm were "stunning", although I haven't seen any sample images with the combo and he did say the setup required some calibration at the factory.

Frederic

Resurrecting this thread now the XH 0.8 adapter is available.
Has anyone given the x1d/907x - XH0.8 - HTS combo a try yet, maybe with the HCD24 ?

Thanks
Frederic

AndreasAM

Frederic,

In the conversation (2 years ago already!) I had with Ming Thein in the thread mentioned above, I suggested exactly this solution, including an 0,8 converter.
He was a bit apprehensive about combining the HTS and a (not existing then) XH0,8, relating to the resulting image quality of the total combination. I thought, then, an integrated X-HTS1,2 would guarantee a better result.

This being a front heavy solution without a proper tripod mount on the HTS is also a bit worrying.

If this really works is just speculation. I don’t have al the parts in house. A friend has the HCD 24mm and the HTS, but the converter is hard to come by at the moment and is about 1000 Euro’s. So this is a bit of a expensive gamble for the moment.

The fastest way to get any information on the image quality of this combination, is to have a well stocked and participating dealer or ask Hasselblad directly with a mail.

I am still curious as well, (so i will mail my dealer in Amsterdam). It would deliver 28,8 mm (23 mm equivalent 35 mm.) with perhaps 12mm (or more) shift (and tilt). What is not to like in Architecture and Landscape with 50 Mp.

Andreas

Frederic

Andreas,

Thanks for chiming in. Hasselblad statement regarding the HTS compatibility is what caught my interest, though I'd welcome a native X-HTS solution if it existed.
I was about to get a XCD 21 for quick architecture shots, that I could "shift" through cropping at the editing stage, when the XH0.8 was announced. I found the HCD28 samples rather convincing, so I thought why not give this a try ?
The adapted Canon TS-E 17 and 24 are okay-ish as long as flash is not needed and one is not too demanding.

Anyway, my dealer has the adapter available, I can put my hands on a 24 and/or 28... but the HTS is still the missing piece here ! Hopefully I can convince someone at HB France to source one for some tests.

AndreasAM

Frederic,

I am also looking for a quality, mobile, 50 Mp, MF-digital solution for architecture that doesn't break the bank completely (like the beautiful Phase One XT). But who doesn't!
I think this combination with the HCD 24 mm or 28 mm and a HTS1,5 could be a good option.
I don't need much wider. With software corrections in LR, the XCD 21 mm or even XH-0,8./HCD24mm. could cater for that if really necessary.

The ergonomics of using the converter with the HTS and lens looks a bit scruffy when using it in the field though.
James Bell has a youtube-video with this combination (at 5:16) where you can see it in detail. (Don't pay attention to the rest of the video).

All the components looks quite rugged. Yet, I am not sure, when working in the field, about the strain on the mount of the X1D (let alone a 907X), which has to deal with all the weight (almost 1,5 kg). Using it in the field is rough, compared with studio surroundings. The balance of the combination is quite different then with for instance a H6D. Perhaps okay in landscape, but for detailed or precise architectural pictures it could be tricky. I want to try it out first.

I would still prefer a straightforward integrated X-HTS 1,2 (like a modern ArcBody) with tripod-mount, integrated landscape/portrait mode, better balance, mobility and a better parallax-solution in panorama mode (which I hardly use by the way). But I think, as Ming Thein mentioned, this would be a too small niche-market for HB to be able to cater one for us two and a few others, at a comparable price as the original HTS1,5.

Contacted my dealer for a loan-converter. Will keep you posted.

Andreas

Last edited:

AlexD

Hi,

I use the X/H adapters' supporting collar to attach to the tripod mount and take the load of the H system optics.

Unfortunately the externals of the adapters haven't been that well designed insomuchas they do not include alignment 'shoulders' to allow rotation of the adaptor within the mount ring without (fore/aft) slippage; so in other words it wiggles when loosened, won't maintain position when rotating from landscape / portrait orientation and using in a vertical position (downwards) is definitely a no no!
:oops:

Best

Alex