The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leaf Aptus 65 clock battery dead. Help?

Red735i

The clock battery in my Aptus 65 has died. A check with the 2 major sales dealers tells me that Leaf will no longer repair this model back. ( and when they did, they charged $2400 to change the battery!!!)
I am not the first person to have this problem. I have read the description of a DIY method to change the clock battery, but I would rather pay someone to do this if possible.
Does anyone know of a professional repair serivice that will change the battery for a rational price?
Thanks,
Frank

steve_cor

Once I inquired at Samy's Cameras about repairing a Mamiya lens. He said they have a guy who comes by on Thursdays who could do it. Meaning the repairman is not employed by Samy's. I think a lot of camera stores have a guy like that. It may be worth a try. And you may be able to meet with him to see if he has experience with repairing digital backs, which are more like computers than cameras or lenses.

--Steve.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
It's really easy if you have patience and tools. Share with the camera tech the thread from here and they can do it for you. It's simple with the right tools. I've done it twice.

your tech needs spudgers for the connectors and circuit board lifters for the stack of PCBs that all connect to each other. If I can do it, any electronic tech can. You don't mess with the sensor assembly at all. Only incompetence or carelessness will get you in trouble. Exercise good static hygiene too.

Heck, pm me. I'll do it for you for a very reasonable fee.

Last edited:

Red735i

Latest update.........
I have spent the outrageous cost of $1.89 for the battery, and an additional outrageous $7 to acquire the 4mm nut driver. I have the Allen wrench. I am going to take a shot at this... the write up here.....
https://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium...internal-battery.html?highlight=battery+aptus
shows the procedure ....

I am really afraid of battery leakage and permanent damage to the back from this dead battery... so in my opinion, it must be changed.

Will advise my results......

Red735i

I have an Aptus 65. I just (March 29, 2017) changed the clock battery (CR2120) . I want to thank all of you that have done this and wrote down your comments so the rest of us can keep these backs working 100%.
My comments from the repair......

See this page for a starting point and detailed pictures....
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-...gital-backs/52991-aptus-internal-battery.html

I found the clock battery problem because the grey balance would not stay at the levels I set. They kept moving. Then I noticed the clock would not keep time.....

My Aptus 65 is pretty identical to Brend's Aptus 75. The same number of boards and relative position of the battery... buried.
The hardest connector to remove in the large on on the first level.... There are basically no holds to grab and it took a full 20 minutes to get it loose. ( I used the equivalent of the sharp "stick" to grab onto the connector and pull if off slowly.)
The battery is on the third level down. You must remove the 3rd layer to replace the battery.
To get to the battery, it is a good idea ( Graham's suggestion ) to remove the plate on the side opposite the fan. 2 screws. You do this after removing the second layer.
The third layer is a bit impossible to remove, There is a connector it mates with underneath. You must PULL UP on the third layer to remove it. How? I use a metal paint can opener,,, which has a hooked end to stick up under the board and carefully pull up on. Be gentle but firm. It will come loose.

Buy the IFIXIT plastic lifter tool. It costs $1, and made the disassembly of the connectors easier. I also used it to lift the third layer board up.
The correct tool to open the case is a 2mm Allen wrench.. The 5/64 allen wrench suggested did not work on my back.
You will also need a Phillips head screwdriver, size 00 ( tiny) for the metal plate noted above, and 0 (less tiny) for the rest of the screws.
If you magnetize the tip of the screwdrivers and the nut driver, life will be easier.
If you ave a set of long needle nose pliers, you will be able to pick up the loose screws you drop inside the back more efficiently.

All your settings will remain intact. ( except for the time.....)

It took me an hour to do the work....

Everyone gets to decide to do this on their own.... It takes a bit of luck, the right tools ( and some unorthodox ones), and PATIENCE. Good lighting is essential.
Since Leaf will no longer work on these backs, if you mess it up, and break ANYTHING, you are SOL. Know this before you start.
It is not rocket science. It can be done.
And why no repair shop will do this work for a nominal fee, blows my mind.